Author Topic: Spider mites on my sweet potatoes?  (Read 2374 times)

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
Spider mites on my sweet potatoes?
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »
My thriving sweet potatoes have an area of dying leaves with webs over the top of them. Does this look like a spider mite infestation?

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Spider mites on my sweet potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
In my experience, spider mites do not create such a major web. It looks more like tent caterpillars from your photo. If so, you should find little caterpillars inside, in the process of growing bigger. A brief google search shows that tent caterpillars do grow on sweet potatoes.
Erica

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
Thank you very much for the suggestion Erica. Initial Google searches had turned up only spider mites but encouraged by your post, I hunted a little more and also found bagworms and webworms in addition to tent caterpillars. The webworms may be another candidate as they tend to form webs over leaves rather than a nest in the nodes of branches produced by tent caterpillars. I didn't find caterpillars or pupae on the leaves so it is still a mystery. I'll have to look closer and see what I can find.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
I've seen spidermites to that degree before. Could very well be, look for sawdust looking droppings on surrounding leaves.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com