Author Topic: Cuttings not rooting  (Read 2042 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Cuttings not rooting
« on: August 03, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
I have these citrus cuttings that I have had in pots since April. They are still green but have not put out any roots are leaves. 3 are orange cuttings and one is a Lisbon lemon cutting. Does anyone know why this is happening? Usually they turn brown and die if they are not going to root.

My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Cuttings not rooting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
Orange and lisbon lemon are harder to root than .....say MLemon. If they are still green and not fading there is still a chance that they will root. I am sure that you used a good rooting hormone, keeping them in the shade and watered well. Hang in there. You can not lose by letting then sit.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Although foliage increases the transpiration rate and adds stress, a small amount of leaf surface can increase the stems attempt to generate root tissue. When a stem has neither roots nor leaves, stored reserves are needed to get the process going. I suspect a bit of leaf surface would make the cutting both more vulnerable to desiccation and more likely to initiate roots.

This is assuming there are no leaves on your cuttings. If the cuttings have leaves, my comments have no merit.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 01:14:45 PM »
Same thing happened to my pummelo cuttings, my blueberry and pear cuttings are growing show some leafs.  I think they have some roots, otherwise they dry out already.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 01:23:29 PM »
They don't have leaves. They were shipped to me without leaves. My other 9 lisbon cuttings started putting out roots within a month. I have never had any cutting to take 4 months to root.
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
As stated. I always leave a couple of half leaves on any cuttings. It allows normal system activity to continue. Photosynthesis still occurs because of the leaves. It appears that they have buds to break. I would just hang with them until........they die or come hither.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
I agreed with Bomand, some citrus are very hard to root from cuttings.  As long as the cuttings are not dry up, they are in good shape.  Just give them some time and patient.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Will,  Lemons, both Eureka, Lisbon and Meyer are among the easiest citrus varieties to root. All three root quite quickly. On some of the other citrus cultivars, good things come to those who wait.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 05:45:32 PM »
Same thing happened to my pummelo cuttings, my blueberry and pear cuttings are growing show some leafs.  I think they have some roots, otherwise they dry out already.

pinkturtle how long have your Pummelo been potted?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:25:35 PM by will2358 »
My name is Cindy

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
Since day one, maybe 3 months already.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »
I waited a full year for a small bearss lime cutting to root, and it finally leafed out this month.  As long as they are green they are alive, dont give up until they turn brown.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »

I don't know what motivated you to multiply many citrus by rooted-cutting method. You live near where I live, and even though your location might be a bit warmer than mine, it is still cold enough to get cold hardy citrus to barely survive. I guess you knew that rooted citrus cuttings are at least 5 degrees less cold hardy than grown from seeds or grafted on poncirus.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
These will be in a heated greenhouse or sun porch until I learn how to graft. The reason I went and dug up the 60+ trifoliata http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32849.0  is that I plain on grafting next year. The owari, artic frost, bloomsweet, changsha and Changshou Kumquat were all grafted when I received them. I have planted out the Owari and Artic frost so far because they are large plants.I was advise to wait until the others are larger plants before placing them in the ground.
Bloomsweet, changsha and Changshou Kumquat are one gallon size plants and need a couple of years before planting out.
My name is Cindy

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
Lavender, do you have any confirmation to back up the statement you made  that rooted citrus cuttings are at least 5 degrees less cold hardy than grown from seeds.   I don't believe that is correct.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
I too would like to know why a cutting would be less hardy. Is your resoning that: since it is not grafted on a roofstock that imparts additional hardiness that a cutting would be less hardy? Are you banking on the fact that a cutting root system is smaller an therefore makes it less hardy? Would love to see the 5 degree data. I have cuttings that are just as hardy, if not hardier than some grafted specimens. Good post. I am interested.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »
I would say that rooted is less hardy than seed grown is nonsense.