Author Topic: Very overripe to rotten looking mangos that still taste good IMO  (Read 694 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
With the end of mango season in South Florida rapidly approaching for another year, I try my best to savor every remaining mango. Two mango that although full of fungus on the skin to the point of the skin cracking open and  then often getting additional bugs invading I still find delicious most of the time and I'm not afraid to take a bite and see how the flavor has changed after removing the bugs/fungus/excess bacteria.

First up is sweettart. I am just shocked at how good the mango which looks black with fungus and cracked skin and probably yeast/bacteria in it to a degree is still delicious most of the time (it is possible that I won't like it but very very few times. The tartness has left it at this point and I get a very intense navel orange or tangerine taste. I am currently eating one such overripe sweettart and really enjoying it. I have no good answer as to why it seldom tastes foul in my yard  It just seems to be very resistant to rot or the orange taste is sooo good I don't notice any off flavors.

Next is Keitt mango. Late in the season here they are a mess of black fungus/anthracnose/ and probably yeast on the outside which I am guessing help crack the skin for invading bugs etc. Once I wash the bugs off (not a big fan of eating bugs), I usually carry them inside for up to 4 days to try to get them to ripen more even with the bad spots & cracks and I occasionally cut off a little of the bad areas & place it on the counter. It does more often go into a foul taste vs. the sweettart so probably smell it first. But, often the cracked areas become very pleasant IMO to eat as they often taste sour like vinegar and this area is usually a lighter flesh color than the surrounding bright orange flesh in most cases. The bright orange is intensely sweet and this added to the vinegar taste is very delicious IMO. I am guessing bacteria has soured it sort of like buttermilk. Just a guess but I really enjoy it.

So if you feel daring, give them a try if any left before tossing them into the garbage or recycle bin. .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:54:04 PM by palmcity »