Author Topic: Yuzu x Poncirus  (Read 4226 times)

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Yuzu x Poncirus
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
Hello!

two years ago a was active on Citrus Growers Forum. Now I am back! Great that most people from the old forum are also active here! I had not much news to post inbetween. That was the reason I hersitated to register here. But now I can present a little seedling of cross I made. Yuzu x Poncirus:

A pitty that most seeds were rotten. Only three of them germinated, one was this hybrid. (I have to improve my seed care!)
It is interesting to me that the seedling is mostly monofoliate. But it is definitely a cross of Yuzu with pure Poncirus. There seems to be a rule that the smaller the leaves of the citrus parent the fewer trifoliate leaves you will find. I have also a cross of Kucle (= Kumquat x Clementine) x Poncirus that has narrow mostly monofoliate leaves. This seems to be the genetic influence of the willow leaf parent in Kucle. One purely monofoliate seeling of Kucle has leaves like the willow leaf mandarine. (To remember: Clementine is believed to be a cross with willow leaf mandarine).

I hope my Yuzu x Poncirus cross is somehow tasty and pretty hardy. We will see some day...

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Yuzu x Poncirus
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Glad to see you here Till.
Outside of narrow leaves, what other poncirus traits are evident in your hybrids?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Hello Ilya!

It is difficult to say at the moment. The most obvious Poncirus trait is just that they have some tri- and bifoliate leaves. And I know for sure that the motherplants could not have been polinized by Poncirus hybrids only by the pure Poncirus pollen I placed on the flowers - or by pure Citrus pollen.

If you compare this Yuzu hybrid with its two obviously nucellars siblings you see that it is a little bit less vigorious. The petiole of pure Yuzu is also broader. The petiole and leave texure of the Yuzu hybrid shows some influence of Poncirus I would say.

Regards, Till

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Beautiful plant Till,  the  thrill one gets when nearly a year of anticipation after making a cross, a different kind of leaf shows up.

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »
Till, welcome to the forum.
Have you tasted the leaves? When you bite a leaf, you may taste a bit of the poncirus flavor.
If its pure yuzu, you will only taste the typically pleasant flavor of yuzu.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
hardyvermont, yes it always gives me a kick when I see that I cross was successful. Well, a little bit crazy. So many failures and work for just a little seedling the fruits of which may be awful. But I just must do these things!

Maesy, when the plant has more leaves I will taste some. But it is clear anyway that Poncirus is in the bloodline. I mean it has some trifoliate leaves. Monofoliate leaves are not just like those of its siblings although all three plants grew in the same pot until recently.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »
I have a rare ichangensis x poncirus (F2 generation)

(yuzu is pretty closely related to ichangensis, at least genetically)

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Socal2warm, nice! Have you made the cross yourself? No trifoliate leaves? i do not see any on the photo.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
Socal2warm, nice! Have you made the cross yourself? No trifoliate leaves? i do not see any on the photo.
seed originally came from Ilya (if I'm remembering correctly)

It has no trifoliate leaves.

The plant is slower growing but vigorous and robust.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
When it comes from Ilya it is probably an N1tri seedling. Is it @Ilya11?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
Yes, it was a N1tri seed from open pollination.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 04:15:11 AM »
My Yuzu x Poncirus seems to be extremly dormant in winter. It stands in a winter garden for a few weeks now. Calamondin x Poncirus is growing. Kucle x Poncirus starts growing, Swingle 5 Star seedlings, even Eremorange and two Yuzu seedlings, the latter just hesitatingly beginning. But buds of Yuzu x Poncirus have not become bigger. Pure Poncirus has become big buds in a glashouse that is cooler than the winter garden.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 04:15:10 AM »
Almost no growth on Yuzu x Poncirus this year. It stood in my glas house where all other Citrus plants prospered. So I would conclude that it is genetically weak if I did not made some observations:
- Its stem became bigger.
- Roots are dense and look healthy.
- It hesitatively began growing only during cool spells when temperature in my glas house fell below 20°C and remained under 25°C during daylight.
- Pure Poncirus is also not doing well in my glas house. Climate is probably too hot there.
- Yuzu x Poncirus did grow about 1/3 weaker than Yuzu in the first year, so all in all did not bad in the first year.

So my conclusion: Yuzu x Poncirus dislikes warm temperature. It needs a climate like Poncirus. I will test it outside my glas house the next year. Could be that it turns out to be a very good plant for open ground.

I shall not forget to say: Its leaves have NO Poncirus taste. Interesting for a Poncirus hybrid! Trifoliate leaves are, however, more persistent than in the mainly monofoliate Kucle x Poncirus hybrid that I mentioned elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 04:16:42 AM by Till »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »
Interesting conclusions.  Looking forward to how your tree does planed outdoors.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 12:32:55 PM »
Any update on this plant :)

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 03:13:16 AM »
Wait a little bit. A bit growth this year but I think that is not all. Winter dormancy was much longer than that of poncirus. Perhaps ask me again at the end of June or mid July.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 12:43:26 AM »
Wait a little bit. A bit growth this year but I think that is not all. Winter dormancy was much longer than that of poncirus. Perhaps ask me again at the end of June or mid July.

Anything new?

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 04:38:23 AM »
Unfortunatelly not. It got a lot of new branches this year but overall growth was slow and weak, leaves too small. I repotted it into normal garden soil which seems to me now the best soil. All other earth experiments of mine failed with other citrus plants. I gave up experimenting. The roots of YuzuxPoncirus are very robust, however, never ill and very well branched but something seemed to be wrong.

The plant looses its older leaves now. Seems to be half-deciduuous now.

I gave a twig to Florian who sucessfully grafted it. His graft looks very good and is well growing.

I tried other YuzuxPoncirus hybrids last year. But I got no hybrid seedlings.

findingnemo

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 02:29:28 AM »
Wow this would have been really interesting if it had turned out. I am so curious how the fruit would have tasted in that hybrid. I love yuzu and never tasted any hybrid of yuzu before. Best of luck to you in the future with this plant

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2023, 05:27:40 PM »
The leaves at least have no Poncirus taste. A good sign? I hope so.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »
Glad to hear you still have it and there is a copy out there with Florian. I tried this cross of poncirus+ pollen with my yuzu but didn't have any trifoliate seedlings. Maybe the pollen was too old. This spring I tried again with fast flowering trifoliate pollen and every single flower I pollinated fell off.

This cross would probably be good in zone 7a, flavor wise hope any of the yuzu properties carries over poncirus.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »
Just so there is no confusion. It is not me who has the Yuzu x Poncirus but flos from Germany :). Of course, his name is Florian too.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2023, 02:46:47 PM »
I am also optimistic that the cross is very hardy. Yuzu is less hardy than Poncirus but has the advantage that it is more resistant to late spring frost because it buds later than Poncirus. The cross buds about as late as Yuzu in spring. So it might be very hardy. I do not dare to test it though, at the moment.
What I do not know is whether it is diploid or triploid (two parts Yuzu, one part Poncirus). It does not appear to be triploid. But who knows for sure? Strangely enough it is almost totally monofoliate. That may depend on special papeda genes. N1triVoss = Ichang Papeda x Poncirus is also mostly monofoliat. But again, who knows?