Author Topic: Loquat Scions/Seeds/Plants for Sale: (20+ Varieties) Sunset, Champagne, and more  (Read 15465 times)

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
I'd love a multi-graft. Can you tell me the process? And realistically, how small do you think a tree can be and still be productive? I have room for something large, but prefer something that can be maintained at a height at which I can harvest. There are loquat trees around me everywhere and they are crazy tall. So much fruit gets wasted!

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
I bought this loquat tree a couple weeks ago from a local nursery and just found this thread. My tree was labeled as a champagne loquat tree. I don't know what root stalk it is on. The graft site is all the way at the top. Can I graft different varieties of loquat scions to the trunk of the tree which is the root stalk that i don't know what variety? Or is this tree still too young to graft onto?  If the tree is OK to use for grafting and I buy some of these scions, what type of graft should I try? I would like some branching down lower and to keep the tree short and compact.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
I'd love a multi-graft. Can you tell me the process?

Certainly. You simply pick out the size tree you'd like to be your stock. Price depends on the gallon/tree sizes listed. Then choose the scions and sizes you'd like. Then it is simply $15 per grafting procedure for my services.

And realistically, how small do you think a tree can be and still be productive? I have room for something large, but prefer something that can be maintained at a height at which I can harvest. There are loquat trees around me everywhere and they are crazy tall. So much fruit gets wasted!

Everything we have which is 10g + is already fruiting size on their own in their respective containers, and whatever we graft to the tree will be done with fruiting wood (which has already produced fruit prior). You could potentially get fruit within the first couple of seasons on anything 5g or larger just because of the mature wood we are adding to it.

Loquats can be pruned and kept at any size you want.  You can keep it in a 30g container for its entire life, or jump it to a 300g if you want to.  Even if it is in the ground, you can keep it small through pruning. That said, we do have some rootstocks with dwarfing and semi-dwarfing growth habits. With pruning and container growing, though, I've just never found it entirely necessary.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
I bought this loquat tree a couple weeks ago from a local nursery and just found this thread. My tree was labeled as a champagne loquat tree. I don't know what root stalk it is on. The graft site is all the way at the top. Can I graft different varieties of loquat scions to the trunk of the tree which is the root stalk that i don't know what variety? Or is this tree still too young to graft onto?  If the tree is OK to use for grafting and I buy some of these scions, what type of graft should I try? I would like some branching down lower and to keep the tree short and compact.

Yes, you can add quite a few side veneer grafts to that tree.  You can graft onto the main trunk, and later when champagne matures some more, you can also graft to it as well.

You could potentially put 4-6 varieties on that. Due to the expanding nature of loquats, you can graft closer than you normally would other trees.

I suggest putting smaller varieties at the bottom, or opposite of larger varieties so they don't have overtaking issues.

I have one project tree not much larger than that one with 20 varieties on it. If you can envision it's future, you can pull it off.

As for which ones, I suggest going to flavor complexity. The main reason for a cocktail is diversity in a compact area. Flavor descriptions I provided are close to what I personally describe the flavor as in my own experience of eating the fruits just upon ripening.

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Great, I'll make an order for some scions this week and give it a try. If the grafts do not take or the tree does not work out I may order a cocktail tree from you.  I'm thinking of adding 4-6 unique varieties in 2-3 layers down the trunk with different varieties on opposite sides. It will be my first time trying veneer grafts, I recently did some citrus bud and cleft grafts that seemed to go well but still waiting to see if the grafts take.

Should I order and graft two scions of each variety in case one graft dosent take or I mess up? or are the grafts usually pretty successful?

Can the scions be stored for later use if I want to try one round of grafting first and then wait to make sure the grafts take before adding more? Or do i need to use the scions right away?

Do you have any recommended guides for us to use as an example for loquat veneer grafting? or some pictures of your grafts as examples of what a well planned out grafted cocktail tree should look like?

Thanks for your advice and expertise

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Great, I'll make an order for some scions this week and give it a try. If the grafts do not take or the tree does not work out I may order a cocktail tree from you.  I'm thinking of adding 4-6 unique varieties in 2-3 layers down the trunk with different varieties on opposite sides. It will be my first time trying veneer grafts, I recently did some citrus bud and cleft grafts that seemed to go well but still waiting to see if the grafts take.

Sounds like a good mix.  Veneers are more challenging, but once you get placement and angles down, you'll have it.

Should I order and graft two scions of each variety in case one graft dosent take or I mess up? or are the grafts usually pretty successful?

I find that grafts are quite successful when done correctly. It would not hurt to have a back up if you're new to veneers.

Can the scions be stored for later use if I want to try one round of grafting first and then wait to make sure the grafts take before adding more? Or do i need to use the scions right away?

Using them right away is always most ideal, but not entirely necessary. The way we wrap them can help them last for weeks on the shelf. I have even used some which sat in a sealed pouch for two months, and had some go bad in a couple of weeks because the sender didn't clean/sanitize them and added too much moisture. Now, we always open them up and clean/store properly so they don't have to be used immediately, but they no longer sit for more than a couple of weeks either. Some people say they've stored them in the fridge with no issue. I never have, because I've never kept them long enough to bother with refrigeration. I have some trialing in refrigeration now to test how long they'll last in there and hope to give feedback on that later, as it has been a popular question.

Do you have any recommended guides for us to use as an example for loquat veneer grafting? or some pictures of your grafts as examples of what a well planned out grafted cocktail tree should look like?

Thanks for your advice and expertise

I can create some photos or videos of the process. Many people keep asking me, and I have thought to do videos of the process and results. Been too busy lately, but I will eventually.  I learned the process and techniques many years ago from some locals in Baguio City, Philippines, and never paid much attention to YouTube videos, so not sure what to recommend there at the moment.  I'll check some out and see if there are some doing it correctly on smaller trees and will report back if I find something worthwhile. I remember that Adam Shaffron was in one off Pete's videos doing Loquat grafting, but I do not recall if he did a veneer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:13:51 AM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Happy to see that many of the grafts are fully healing over now.  Getting ready to ship a bukoo of trees after next weekend.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
We have almost finished building the website at AKMEgardens.com

Feel free to save it. Still under construction.

Also, please stop by our new Facebook Page and give us a Like.  AKME Gardens Facebook Page

I am going to start doing instructional videos soon. Looking forward to helping where I can.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
First video has been produced.  An Introduction to common grafting tools.

Working on editing an should have it ready by this weekend.

Hope it is not too boring.  Just instructional information.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Hi Adam,

I just received my scions today. looks great. the big scion is really big. lol.

a few questions:
1. usually how long can you tell a loquat graft is a take or fail (with temperate around 70F). ( I did my first a couple of weeks ago from a friend's scion, but don't know when can I tell. )
2. thank you for the free Kosmic scion. what is this variety? I cannot find any information.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:53:33 PM by Mandarin »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Hi Adam,

a few questions:
1. usually how long can you tell a loquat graft is a take or fail (with temperate around 70F). ( I did my first a couple of weeks ago from a friend's scion, but don't know when can I tell. )
2. thank you for the free Kosmic scion. what is this variety? I cannot find any information.

Generally within a couple of weeks for take, 4-6 weeks for seal and 2-3 months for certainty on a second flushing of growth.

I would suggest converting the large scions into a few smaller scions to maximize their usage--especially if you got a really large one. You can customize it a few different ways in various places along your tree.

Kosmic is one of a few varieties created by one of our forum members named Kaz. I have not personally tasted this one, but he speaks very highly of it.  Looking forward to trying it soon.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Hi Adam,

a few questions:

Generally within a couple of weeks for take, 4-6 weeks for seal and 2-3 months for certainty on a second flushing of growth.

I would suggest converting the large scions into a few smaller scions to maximize their usage--especially if you got a really large one. You can customize it a few different ways in various places along your tree.

Kosmic is one of a few varieties created by one of our forum members named Kaz. I have not personally tasted this one, but he speaks very highly of it.  Looking forward to trying it soon.

Thank you. I will convert the large one to 2-3 then. Hopefully it will give a big chance of success. I am still new to grafting.

Please post your review for Kosmic when you had tried it. Even a search on this forum does not lead to any information about Kosmic.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Peluche, Novak and Sugarcane are SOLD OUT.

They should be available again in winter.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Our website finally launched!

Only have scions on it so far, but it has begun and is functional.

That was a LOT of work.

Whew!

AKMEGardens.com

AKME Gardens Website

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
Thanks Adam. My Peluche arrived yesterday. The packaging was above and beyond to guarantee its safe arrival. Very much worth the wait. It's already in the ground that I've been preparing throughout the months since ordering.

mbmango

• Manhattan Beach, CA
    • View Profile
Great site!  You should have a tabular listing of the varieties.  I much prefer going through your first post on this thread vs clicking through the individual varieties on the site.  Just planted out some seedlings, but hopefully it won't be too long until I can try grafting from your impressive collection. We have a champagne tree that my daughter enjoys, but I'm planning to remove it for other purposes, after I can graft it onto the new seedlings.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Thanks Adam. My Peluche arrived yesterday. The packaging was above and beyond to guarantee its safe arrival. Very much worth the wait. It's already in the ground that I've been preparing throughout the months since ordering.

Glad to hear it arrived safely.  Yeah, I don't like to take chances that grafts get snapped in transit, so we go a bit out of the way to keep them safe.

The extra wraps on the union was support for shipping and can be removed whenever you prefer.  I would avoid topping it again until the graft pushes a good bit more. 

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Slovenia
    • View Profile

This photo is from California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery, allegedly of the cultivar Vista White. Surely this is digitally altered and Akme's photos are correct. I don't understand how any nurseries could upload photoshopped images.
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers or Fernando Malpartida

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Mango Stein, no those photos appear to be real to me. My Vista White looks a little more yellow on the outside but depending on the lighting it will look just like the photo you show.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website

This photo is from California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery, allegedly of the cultivar Vista White. Surely this is digitally altered and Akme's photos are correct. I don't understand how any nurseries could upload photoshopped images.

The inside is always a nice, bright, clear white.  The skin ranges from a cream to a pale yellow color.  Lighting may have some to do with it, but there is some variability--probably depending on the amount of sun exposure. This photo does look slightly doctored, but not by much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk