Author Topic: how cold hardy are these guavas?  (Read 1318 times)

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
how cold hardy are these guavas?
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:29:11 AM »
Does anyone know the cold hardiness of the following compared to the strawberry guavas and the common guavas?
Psidium Friedrichsthalium
Psidium Guineense
Psidium rufum

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: how cold hardy are these guavas?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »
Literature tells me the Cattley Guava is more hardy than regular guava.  Both were growing wild on my land in Florida Zone 9b, when I purchased the land a year ago.  We’ll have to see what the long term hardiness is.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
Yes cattley guavas (both red and yellow) are more cold hardy than regular guava. I think that Friedrichsthalium should be less cold hardy than commom guava but i am not sure

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
The first two died to me, I'm roughly zone 9a.
The first was pretty thick, almost 3cm the second around 1m so maybe an older tree should have no problem or mine was just a weak one, I read it should be pretty cold hardy.
Even with Guava I had some small one survive and big one die, so they are quite variable.
Cas guava should probably need zone 10.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:10:29 PM by 00christian00 »

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
The first two died to me, I'm roughly zone 9a.
The first was pretty thick, almost 3cm the second around 1m so maybe an older tree should have no problem or mine was just a weak one, I read it should be pretty cold hardy.
Even with Guava I had some small one survive and big one die, so they are quite variable.
Cas guava should probably need zone 10.

Thank you very much for the info, do you remember at what temps where they exposed when they died?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 11:40:34 AM »
Thank you very much for the info, do you remember at what temps where they exposed when they died?
Like most tropicals I grow, they don't die after a single night of cold, after all we only go to -3 few night, but they die because they cannot stand a prolonged period of cold.
Even Muntingia Calabura outside have no problem handling some night at -3, but if you leave it the whole winter it will die eventually.
In fact Cas Guava has around 2 cm of green cambium at the base, only on one side the side not exposed to the wind.
I doubt it will recover however, probably will continue rotting down even if we have almost summer weather since 1 month.
Many times however if you manage to get the plants to pass the first winter in ground it will suffer less the next winter, such is the case for example of my malaysian red guava, that was burned down to 3-4cm from the ground last year where the wood was around 3cm, while this year it didn't even burn 8mm wood and we had considerably more cold nights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk