Author Topic: Where to buy buddy tape and grafting tools/recommendations  (Read 1956 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Hey all I知 curious if anyone can tell me the best place to get buddy tape and other grafting equipment. Mainly I have read about a tool that supposedly makes a perfect cleft out of both the root stock and the perfect fit from the scion to go into said cleft. I知 looking for a reliable safe place to buy online and get these items shipped as well as if any of you have any experience with a tool like this. Thanks so much.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy buddy tape and grafting tools/recommendations
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Hey all I知 curious if anyone can tell me the best place to get buddy tape and other grafting equipment. Mainly I have read about a tool that supposedly makes a perfect cleft out of both the root stock and the perfect fit from the scion to go into said cleft. I知 looking for a reliable safe place to buy online and get these items shipped as well as if any of you have any experience with a tool like this. Thanks so much.

Look for Buddy tape on the forum. There are several threads that have people on here that sell them. It is the best way and best price for buddy tape.

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
I've been reading up on grafting knives also, and it seems that some think that a single bevel knife is better for grafting than a dual bevel, but I can't find an explanation for that belief. Any thoughts?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »
I've been reading up on grafting knives also, and it seems that some think that a single bevel knife is better for grafting than a dual bevel, but I can't find an explanation for that belief. Any thoughts?

single bevel will cut a beautiful flat surface for grafting

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »

Chris,

I bought one of those type tools and it was a waist of money. Watch the grafting videos from truly tropical, she uses a new clean razor blade. I do the same, its cheep, sharp and works well for cleft or side veneer grafting. 

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »
Razor blades are used commonly in Asia too.  I use disposable scalpels which is basically the same as a razor but with a handle.
Peter

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
Exacto knife
A friend bought me one and it is the best knife I have ever
used.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:57:13 PM »

The thought is that the cell surface which will be connecting to a new network should be as undamaged as possible.

A single bevel knife achieves this due to being hollow ground. The beveled side will leave damaged tissue on the surface of the cut, while the hollow ground side provides a "relief". The tissue on the hollow ground side of the cut should remain undamaged.
https://youtu.be/rGaiPpYDxUo?t=234
https://youtu.be/sLfGKG2n8zg?t=187

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:23:52 AM by Oolie »

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »
Razor blades are used commonly in Asia too.  I use disposable scalpels which is basically the same as a razor but with a handle.
Peter
Do you use the rounded or pointed tip scalpels?

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
Exacto knife
A friend bought me one and it is the best knife I have ever
used.

I agree with you about the Exacto knife but have a couple of things to add about it.  I used to be in the picture framing industry and actually developed, manufactured and sold a couple of cutting tools for the trade.  First, do not try to buy inexpensive blades as they are not nearly as polished and sharp.  Second, at one point I put together a package consisting of a piece of leather attached to a block of wood with a small amount of a very fine grinding compound and a small amount of cutting blade wax.  I sold a number of these kits for those that did decorative cutting in mats.  Many would do freehand design cuts in mats using an Xacto knife.  They would swear by resharpening the razor blade of the Xacto knife by periodically running it back and forth over the leather strap on one side with the grinding compound then the other side with the wax.  I would get repeated compliments about how the blade would continue to sharpen over time.  One even took the time to use a microscope with pics about how the small grinding marks on the blade would disappear over time improving the ease with which it cut.  Not a new idea, just a different twist as barbers have used a leather strap to sharpen a straight edge for many years.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 07:52:51 PM »
Sound likes we need to get some strops so we won't trash good blades.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk