Author Topic: Fruit thieves rant  (Read 7729 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit thieves rant
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »

100% not raccoon.  I had my pot of taro plant stolen from the front yard in the past.  Also, the purpose sweet potatoes are just about to sprout out new shoots.  Its not an entire potato that the raccoon would want to eat. It's little slips that I cut up and stick into the ground.

Are you sure the assholes weren’t raccoons ?

I planted some purple sweet potatoes cuttings on the sidewalk infront of my house.  Some asshole stole it.
They dug the topsoil off  where I planted the cuttings.

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »
Two footed rats steal my lychees every year from the side of my house.  They would even break branches, climbing up to strip off all the fruit. I’ve finally dug the trees up and moved them to my acreage out in the countryside.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYX6GKoG4K8&feature=share

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
I have had quite a bit of fruit stolen over the years especially lychees and cherimoyas. Now I am relatively rural and well fenced so fingers crossed. Stealing is always wrong. I am usually willing to share, particularly during these tough times. Lots of people view what is on our trees as an unobtainable luxury and it is great food. I will install some cameras is I get fruit looters. LOL.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
A roofer was scouring the neighborhood on his break, I just happened to be on a step ladder by the fence chasing squirrels off. He walked up and grabbed a mango right in front of me. So close I could've bit him. When I burst through the vines, he almost crapped his plants and exclaimed that I scared him bad. Told him that he should be scared, demanded my mango back, and then went around and had a talk with him. He rudely stated the mangoes were free for the taking because they were within reach. He told me to go ahead and call the police. Informed him he may actually need an ambulance.

He proceeded to walk all up in my neighbor's yards and look for more mangoes, near their windows. 

His company name was on his shirt. They knew who he was by me just telling them he was stealing mangoes. 

My neighbor had received a quote from them, but now will not hire them. He loves and grows mangoes too.

Gave away many pounds of mangoes this week. Love sharing.

Can't stand brazen thieves. Gave stolen mango away to a nice person.

Sleeping in my tree till the last one ripens...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:55:59 PM by roblack »

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
always grown fruit trees in backyard.  Or if potted, move it from front to back yard when fruiting.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 01:26:42 AM »
A roofer was scouring the neighborhood on his break, I just happened to be on a step ladder by the fence chasing squirrels off. He walked up and grabbed a mango right in front of me. So close I could've bit him. When I burst through the vines, he almost crapped his plants and exclaimed that I scared him bad. Told him that he should be scared, demanded my mango back, and then went around and had a talk with him. He rudely stated the mangoes were free for the taking because they were within reach. He told me to go ahead and call the police. Informed him he may actually need an ambulance.

He proceeded to walk all up in my neighbor's yards and look for more mangoes, near their windows. 

His company name was on his shirt. They knew who he was by me just telling them he was stealing mangoes. 

My neighbor had received a quote from them, but now will not hire them. He loves and grows mangoes too.

Gave away many pounds of mangoes this week. Love sharing.

Can't stand brazen thieves. Gave stolen mango away to a nice person.

Sleeping in my tree till the last one ripens...

Put some eye black on, attach a hammock to your tree and sleep with this on your chest

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »
Game Cameras. (animal trail hunting cameras). easy to place several around the yard.. even the cheap $25 ones we have work pretty decent.
Simmons makes a 4 pack for 90-150 dollar range depending on sales.

How many mangoes did she steal? They look less than ripe. It looks like she is squeezing fruits like in a supermarket and looking for a ripe enough fruit. Keitt?

they are def not ripe, and just 1 was taken.... (before and after photos show 1 missing) Lancetilla .
she def does not have permission to be on the property regardless.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
It amazes me that people don't bother to ask.  I showed up to my land the other day to work on the fence in the canyon, only to find a 20-something couple already out there, sitting on my land and trying to poach brown sea trout from the river (which the neighbors have the fishing rights to).  I was of course mad and kicked them out immediately, but it's like... geez... just ask, you might well get a "yes".
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »
I just caught another fruit thief.  This time after my Alano sapodillas. Confronted them and said why do you steal instead of ask and he said, he just didn’t want to bother me. 😂 the guys wife then chimes in saying “I walked by the other day and saw them and I’m pregnant, and had cravings”.  There is no excuse for it. Get it elsewhere. I don’t know how they find me on a dead end street. Tree is maybe 6’ tall. I don’t have a single fruit tree over 12’
Mic

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
On threads like these I'd like to see descriptions of the perps. Some other fruit grower in your town might benefit if these people tend to be serial offenders. My neighbor, a retired cop, once told me that 10% of the crooks commit 90% of the crime.
  I also encourage the use of trail cameras commonly used by deer hunters. These will take photos and videos in the dark without using a flash. The photographed subject isn't tipped off.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »
Just thought of another way to possibly catch thieves if you don't have any cameras: look for any neighbors on the street who own a Tesla and have it parked outside. Teslas have a feature called "Sentry Mode", which uses the car's autopilot cameras as security cameras if someone trips them. It's possible that the perps might have triggered Sentry Mode either on the way in or the way out.

(If the owner of the car thinks it might have been triggered but they deleted the video, deleted files can still be recovered off of USB sticks if they haven't been overwritten yet)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »

I also encourage the use of trail cameras commonly used by deer hunters. These will take photos and videos in the dark without using a flash. The photographed subject isn't tipped off.

I have thought of using trail cameras but the problem is I only have fruit trees.  ;D will probably spot them as they are raiding my trees, and maybe steal those too.

fence permit is in the review stages now. I am hoping that will help.
Mic

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »
My suggestion is a perimeter living fence of thorny bushes, trees and cactus
citrus, dragon fruit, medjool date palms, even dwarf barbados cherries (no thorns but prickly) pineapples would work, oh and beaugainvillas
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 10:45:33 PM »
My suggestion is a perimeter living fence of thorny bushes, trees and cactus
citrus, dragon fruit, medjool date palms, even dwarf barbados cherries (no thorns but prickly) pineapples would work, oh and beaugainvillas

Salak should work well too.

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
In my younger years I never heard of people going to peoples houses asking for fruit.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2020, 09:27:07 AM »
In my younger years I never heard of people going to peoples houses asking for fruit.

They usually tend to just walk in and steal the fruit.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 12:53:17 AM »
If one catches a thief what can you yourself do to that person? Can you attack and beat the crap out of them or just ask them nicely to leave the fruit?

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 08:12:29 PM »
If one catches a thief what can you yourself do to that person? Can you attack and beat the crap out of them or just ask them nicely to leave the fruit?

I think you can beat the crap out of them if they try to run. They are stealing so i'm sure that its justified and won't get you in trouble. Either way the person is on your property so at the very least you can call the police on them.

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
Would any of us really want to escalate the situation by confronting the thief, who may not wait for you to throw the first punch? Just saying.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
I have used a long bean pole it gives you some advantage when they are running fast. It was amusing watching him leap over the fence running full speed.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2020, 10:16:27 PM »
I have used a long bean pole it gives you some advantage when they are running fast. It was amusing watching him leap over the fence running full speed.

I imagine he dropped all of the fruit when he ran? So you get your fruit back and a show.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »
I had a neighbor above my city apartment that was both World wars veteran and really old man.
One day a gipsy was in the linden tree( tillia tree,lime tree) on the sidewalk and colecting flowers to sell them for tea.
But he was breaking manny tree limbs to get to the flowers wich annoyed the old man ,that throwed with an axe right into the thief .
The thief fell from the tree in a spectacular way with all the big branches he cut.It survived but was badly injured.
Altough the old man throwed the axe on a long distance from first floor( height must have helped him) like a pro and the fall was spectacular,it wasnt the right thing to do.
Wasnt even his property,its public property.
Now a days he would have been charged with atempted murder.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
Don't murder the person stealing! That does not mean that you cannot get physical if he causes damages to your property and/or steals and tries to get away....

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
SeaWalnut from Romani'a : Your information about an attack on the poor Romani (Romanian) who was rightfully harvesting flowers of 'tilla tree' belonging to the public. The Veteran of WWII throwing an ax at the 'Romani' and hurting him adds to the proof of 'genocide' of their people in Europe including UK. Interestingly the DNA of most of the Europeans have traces from their 'Romani' ancestry! They brought music, dance, acrobatics, jugglery and circus with them over two thousand years ago.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:37:00 PM by Budtropicals »