Author Topic: Renovation on greenhouse  (Read 1044 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Renovation on greenhouse
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:41:34 AM »
Hello people, I have a question regarding my greenhouse . Since we are hitting around 35 C/90 F and will have this temps all july and august ,I was thinking to remove the sheeting on my greenhouse. The bigger plants that are touching the nylon are starting to burn at those places since it gets so hot in the sun . Also I am thinking if I  remove it  that will provide the full spectre of sunlight since the nylon must be stopping some of the light. I will then place net against hail. The only draw back I see is that I will no longer be able to control the watering . Thanks to everyone who helps me with this tough decision  :D ::) 

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Renovation on greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
You could try rolling up the sides for increased air flow... leave the top in place.

Kevin jones

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
I'd open it up for sure.   How common is hail there?  Hail is very rare where I live.

Kevin's idea of rolling up the sides is even better.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
Not a lot of hail here... just tornados.

Kevin Jones

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 04:22:07 PM »
You could try rolling up the sides for increased air flow... leave the top in place.

Kevin jones
actually the problem is at the top, the greenhouse has two doors ,whom are opened in the day and gets plenty of air flow ,but still gets very hot and the top canalizes ththe heat and my tallest  plant (a carambola ) is getting her newer growth burnt at the touching points with the nylon ...actually I gust kind of feel that it just gets too hot for the plants with this nylon on ....

I'd open it up for sure.   How common is hail there?  Hail is very rare where I live.

Kevin's idea of rolling up the sides is even better.
hail is common hear , altough at a different place each time ....I just like to be on the safe side ,one hail event and all the work goes down the pipe ....as a curious note four or five years ago we had a tremendous  hail storm in our capital Sofia , the hail was with the size of chiken eggs. Car windows and windows on houses were broken..branches and hole trees were down from the severe wind , streets were like a lawn - from the fallen leaves from trees ....a real nightmare .

Not a lot of hail here... just tornados.

Kevin Jones

cant imagine if we had tornadoes here..it would be hard for me to live with the tought of a tornado wiping my house out ....

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 05:48:41 PM »
The growers out here in southern California paint the plastic with a diluted white latex paint.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 02:23:49 AM »
Marklee , I would think this will reduce the light levels that enter the greenhouse....again if people are doing it I guess trere is not a big problem . I already have desided to take off the nylon , will do it today or tomorrow  :)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
I have a 20' by 30' hoop house with a 15' center ridge and take my plastic off during the summer. Once the trees get tall they are damaged by the heat build up in the top parts of the greenhouse interior. Even with vents open. Even with the doors open and large fans blowing. Even with a shade cloth (only 30%). I have learned to do the work all by myself, it only takes a few hours to pull two layers of greenhouse film over the structure. I keep the shade cloth on all year and it helps with any hail or heavy rains. The only problem has been strong winds knocking over the taller trees, which are top heavy because they are being grown in large pots. It keeps things cooler and I don't have to water as often.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 01:59:41 PM »
TriangleJohn  I removed it today and put on place the hail net ,I will take pics tomorrow and will post...those were the problems for me too, the build up of heat in the top of the greenhouse, and I had no way around that ..   I am just worried about the watering now, if we get days of rain the soil in the pots may stay too wet for some plants, particularly worried about cherimoyas, dragonftuit, papaya and tamarind seedlings .