Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 13217 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
I agree, grow bags dry too quickly.

To rehydrate any pots that get too dry, you want to put them in a water tray with an inch of water and let it soak up from the bottom while watering from the top also.  Drain the traiy and keep repeating until its wet again.  Sometimes you think its getting water but only the top half an inch is wet because its so hydrophobic.  Peat is the worst for that. 
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »
You could slip a plastic bag arpund the whole thing and then fill it up with water until the soil gets saturated again. Just be sure not to leave it that way too long or you will probably cause root rot. Of course, if this is an ongoing problem, you may want to re-pot any way.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Thank you all three.  I will first try re-wetting the medium, it'll take a while since I have a dozen plants.  I did it all this way because it's what I had on hand at the time and this brand bag look nice on my patio, and the peat mix was all left over from my tomatoes.

These bags are super high quality, which makes the error a bummer, doesn't work in my situation.  I wonder if using coconut coir would've been better than peat moss base.. other than the hassle of checking salt content and then determining whether to rinse, from what I've read coconut coir absorbs water and is not hydrophobic like dry peat.

If re-wetting turns out to be problematic, I'll repot.. maybe wait for winter when they slow down,

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
coco does suck up water really easy.  i wouldnt worry about the salts for a pineapple plant.  you can use pretty much anything for pineapple plants.  you really want it to drain well which coco doesnt do but a little wont hurt. 
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »
Okay, thanks.  It wouldn't be straight coco coir, mixed with perlite and bark, which I think helps drain better (something like gardener's ground cover bark, or orchid fine bark, or kellogg garden soil / recycled forest products, whichever is on sale).

pdemars84

• Coral Springs
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »
I have a few pups that I can't plant due to surgery. I picked them on Monday 7/25 then had a surgical procedure on 7/26 that prevents me from potting them for at least a week or more.  Didn't know i would be out of commission. What is the longest time frame I can go before they die? It may be 10 to 14 days before I can pot them up.   

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
Okay, thanks.  It wouldn't be straight coco coir, mixed with perlite and bark, which I think helps drain better (something like gardener's ground cover bark, or orchid fine bark, or kellogg garden soil / recycled forest products, whichever is on sale).

Coco coir is not soil, it's a medium. It is problematic especially for calcium and magnesium as it doesn't hold these very well. I recommend against coir personally unless you are religious about, and understand, either top dressed amendments or liquid nutrients.

I would just re-pot your plants into fresh potting soil in plastic pots and call it a day - don't forget to keep on top of watering them.

Pineapples are not a permanent fixture in the pot like a tree or something. 2-3 years from now, probably in the compost heap after getting your pineapple.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »
Coco coir is not soil, it's a medium. It is problematic especially for calcium and magnesium as it doesn't hold these very well.
I wasn't aware it can't hold certain nutrients well, that could be an explanation for some issues I had a couple years ago!  Thanks for that :)
Spaugh and other state pineapples will grow in just about anything.. and I do believe them.  For the record, I'm not trying to find the best possible mix, medium, soil, whatever, just figuring stuff out and learning along the way.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
I have a few pups that I can't plant due to surgery. I picked them on Monday 7/25 then had a surgical procedure on 7/26 that prevents me from potting them for at least a week or more.  Didn't know i would be out of commission. What is the longest time frame I can go before they die? It may be 10 to 14 days before I can pot them up.

Pups meaning no roots? 2-3 weeks should be fine as long as they aren't sitting in the sun. You can start them in water, too, keep the water level just below the plant.
- Val

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk