Author Topic: Excalibur Sapodilla, the best variety??  (Read 1815 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Excalibur Sapodilla, the best variety??
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »
Hey

So recently i bought a Excalibur Sapodilla seedling, and was told it was one of the best. However i’ve never tried this variety so i wanted to know if someone could shine some light on the characteristics this variety has.

,William

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Excalibur Sapodilla, the best variety??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
I can’t comment on that particular variety but I will say that sapodilla seedlings really take a long time to produce.  In Central America you can find very, very good sapodilla material.  I would look around and graft some níspero.  We have great sapodilla from Nicaragua and Mexico too has super good chico sapote.  Grafted trees can produce early, even 2-3 years.  Seedlings take forever.
Suerte

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:55:32 PM »
I can’t comment on that particular variety but I will say that sapodilla seedlings really take a long time to produce.  In Central America you can find very, very good sapodilla material.  I would look around and graft some níspero.  We have great sapodilla from Nicaragua and Mexico too has super good chico sapote.  Grafted trees can produce early, even 2-3 years.  Seedlings take forever.
Suerte

Hey peter!

I also have an older Alano which is soon to fruit. Here in Honduras, sapodillas are almost inexistent and not even known to most, so finding a plant locally is almost imposible. As for nicaraguan varieties, i have heard they are of decent flavor and size but personally i try not to visit that country for several reasons. Thats why i brought that Excalibur seedling from the US, cause i was told they produce some of the biggest and most flavorful sapodillas and to not have to lose my mind looking for one here.

Salutes, William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »
Hey

So recently i bought a Excalibur Sapodilla seedling, and was told it was one of the best. However i’ve never tried this variety so i wanted to know if someone could shine some light on the characteristics this variety has.

,William

Not sure where you got it from but if its a seedling, dont expect it to be like its parent.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:09:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with Alano.  Very good flavor.  Enjoy those until your seedling produces fruit.
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 11:13:19 PM »
Not sure where you got it from but if its a seedling, dont expect it to be like its parent.

I agree with bsbullie. Since it is a seedling, it may be very different.

To answer your original post though, the Excalibur variety is very good. I planted a grafted Excalibur sapodilla around 9 years ago and it produces a lot of large fruit twice a year. The flavor is very good as well.

I also think it may be one of the varieties that do not need a cross pollinator for good fruit set. Hasya on the other hand is an excellent fruit but does not appear to fruit well without cross pollination.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »

I agree with bsbullie. Since it is a seedling, it may be very different.

To answer your original post though, the Excalibur variety is very good. I planted a grafted Excalibur sapodilla around 9 years ago and it produces a lot of large fruit twice a year. The flavor is very good as well.

I also think it may be one of the varieties that do not need a cross pollinator for good fruit set. Hasya on the other hand is an excellent fruit but does not appear to fruit well without cross pollination.

Thanks murahlin,

I know there might be a variation because its a seedling, however im quite sure that i’ll at least get a nice size sapodilla bearing tree. As well as having something different than my alano. Any experiences with  the quality of fruit from sapodilla seedlings?

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 07:03:02 AM »
BKD 110, Brown Sugar, C54, C55, C58, Foster, H C Tan, Kai Hahn, Krasuey, Kulbaba, Lamao, Makok, Makok See Gaa, Martin, Mead, Modella, Pineras, Ponderosa, Prolific, Sawo Manila, Tikal and Tropical were trialled in a comparative planting in my home town being planted in the 70s and 80s. I am sure most of this motley crew are not on Excalibur's line up these days. There is some real trash in the ranks and only one real star emerged and I whipped the pants of its rivals.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:39 PM »
BKD 110, Brown Sugar, C54, C55, C58, Foster, H C Tan, Kai Hahn, Krasuey, Kulbaba, Lamao, Makok, Makok See Gaa, Martin, Mead, Modella, Pineras, Ponderosa, Prolific, Sawo Manila, Tikal and Tropical were trialled in a comparative planting in my home town being planted in the 70s and 80s. I am sure most of this motley crew are not on Excalibur's line up these days. There is some real trash in the ranks and only one real star emerged and I whipped the pants of its rivals.

Which was the star?

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
In his showdown some showed true grit and some just couldn't' bear it well enough. It was Krasuey.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »
In his showdown some showed true grit and some just couldn't' bear it well enough. It was Krasuey.

That is some interesting info mike!

,William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk