Author Topic: Biew kiew longan review  (Read 1779 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Biew kiew longan review
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
So after four years I finally get to harvest my bounty.  Tree is only 6 feet tall but just as wide.   Its one of the sweetest longan I ever tasted with a bit of fragrance aftertaste which is very pleasant.   Flesh had a but of crisp to it not as delicate as the pepper seed or Hawaiian.   Seed is not as big as the Hawaiian  variety.  Skin is thin.   I was pleasantly  surprise fruit size is pretty big about the same size as my Sri chompoo.   Sri chompoo wasn't as sweet but taste was more complex.   I easily would pick this over Hawaiian and pepper seed variety.   I would be torn between Sri Chompoo.  If you like sweet definitely the bieu kieu.   To me the Sri Chompoo has the same flavors but more balance.  The Sri chompoo also has beautiful  scarlet red flushes that I love. 

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:32:25 PM by boxturtle »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Bieu kieu longan review
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
From the color of the skin, those do not look ripe.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »
You want ripe fruit for best taste.
- Rob

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 03:36:03 PM »
From the color of the skin, those do not look ripe.

These were hidden well under the canopy they been sitting underneath there for about a month and half after fruit had filled out .  The others that were expose to sun changed to a golden brown.  These filled out before those that changed color.  I don't know if you can zoom in but the shell got smooth.   I thought so too at the beginning so i let them hang a bit longer. But after I tasted one they were amazing!  So I picked the rest.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:41:05 PM by boxturtle »

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Hehe fly to California or Thailand.  Funny story behind why I got this tree. We went to Thailand for our honeymoon and had longans at a roadside stand.  I thought to myself these tasted nothing  like the ones we got at home.  I asked for the variety but couldn't understand the name.  So when we bought our house I immediately  did my research.  Good thing for me Thailand had only two main varieties.
    Two kids later we were able to enjoy the same fruit with the kiddos for dessert :) I joked with the wife that it tasted like our honeymoon :p

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 04:21:27 PM »
Hehe fly to California or Thailand.  Funny story behind why I got this tree. We went to Thailand for our honeymoon and had longans at a roadside stand.  I thought to myself these tasted nothing  like the ones we got at home.  I asked for the variety but couldn't understand the name.  So when we bought our house I immediately  did my research.  Good thing for me Thailand had only two main varieties.
    Two kids later we were able to enjoy the same fruit with the kiddos for dessert :) I joked with the wife that it tasted like our honeymoon :p

Longans make you feel warm, do you feel warm if you eat a lot of them?

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »

Longans make you feel warm, do you feel warm if you eat a lot of them?

i have been eating them for about two months now 1st i started with my parents hawaiin variety then my great aunts pepper seed.  I started picking mine about 2 weeks ago.  Each sitting i would eat like 10 to 15 of them all by myself some refrigerated and some just off the branch.  i havent experienced pimples, mouth sore, or consitipation.  So i wouldn't consider them really warm food.  Lol maybe if i eat like 30 of them at one sitting.  hahahaaha wished i had that much get ripe at a time. 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 06:11:30 PM »
I've had these from Mark Lee.
Excellent sweetness. The flavor was reminiscent of Niagra grapes. His were usually less green, but more sun exposed.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
It is the top ranked variety for a reason.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
It is the top ranked variety for a reason.

With everyone getting the pepper seed here in so cal I was getting worried I made the wrong decisions.  Luckily  this season was a good one for longan and I was able to get a side by side test.  Personally on paper to me Sri chompoo  would be better, but it comes down to the red flush and preference  for how sweet you like your longan.  Literally I would sway from day to day to which one was better.   But compared to Hawaiian and pepperseed it was hands down bieu kieu Hahhaha good problem to have.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:37:17 PM by boxturtle »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 03:09:06 AM »
A showdown might have a different winner in a different climate as is the case with many fruit.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
A showdown might have a different winner in a different climate as is the case with many fruit.

Totally agree