Author Topic: Mystery Fruit - please help ID  (Read 534 times)

HI_Chris

• USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
Mystery Fruit - please help ID
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:50:24 AM »
Today, while working on a fence in rainforest Hawaii, I came across some fruit on the ground.  Orange on outside, about the size (3" diameter) and shape of a large tangerine, but it is not citrus.  I took some leaves from a tree nearby but didn't see fruit in it, so I hope I got the right foliage.  The fruit skin is leathery and there is 1/2" or more of whitish flesh next to it before getting to the large 1"+ seeds in the center.  I didn't taste the fruit, though it smelled OK. After cutting it open, the exposed surfaces went brown very quickly.

PS.  I tried a Google image search using the picture of the whole fruit, but the first item to appear was 'spoiled fruit', so that didn't get me any closer to an answer!

Any help in identifying this from the forum experts will be greatly appreciated!
Chris

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mystery Fruit - please help ID
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 01:14:19 AM »
Santol (Sandoricum koetjape)
Oscar

HI_Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 02:23:35 AM »
Many thanks for the ID, Oscar.
I'll be checking to see if I can find any fruit left on the tree.
Chris

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »
i thought the same, santol. You will be sure about it when you cannot separate the flesh from the seed: the fruit flesh is strongly attached to the seed, so you cannot spit out the seed without some flesh clinging on it. This is proof for a santol. Quite tasty though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk