Author Topic: Butterscotch Sapodilla  (Read 5871 times)

D’s Fruit Trees

• Cutler Bay, Fl
    • View Profile
Butterscotch Sapodilla
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:48:54 PM »
3gal $100

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: Butterscotch Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
That's way high for gal size and pot size. How tall is the the 3 gal and what is the diameter?

D’s Fruit Trees

• Cutler Bay, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 06:20:21 PM »
its the variety not the size

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:40:22 AM »
Thats the price and size I saw at another nursery. Good deal, hard to find sap. Looks like it came straight from Zills, not sure what they are selling them for wholesale, but has to be more than other varieties.

Veggieman01

• Vero beach 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
i had 20 3 gal plants and sold out in 1 week at 200 each. its a zills plant that is super hard to graft and zills caps on how many people can buy cause of the supply and demand. this is an awesome deal

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »
i had 20 3 gal plants and sold out in 1 week at 200 each. its a zills plant that is super hard to graft and zills caps on how many people can buy cause of the supply and demand. this is an awesome deal

So tell me, what makes it harder to graft than any other sap?  Just trying to justify your hot poker offering?
- Rob

D’s Fruit Trees

• Cutler Bay, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »
good eye its directly from Zills,

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
Sorry, but the asking prices for this 'Butterscotch' clone are STILL rather too rich for my blood. 

I remain of the opinion that it is advisable to just wait 'til most of the hoopla dies down somewhat and there's enough folks out there who are reporting their experiences with growing or grafting it so that we are comfortable that most of the 'bugs' of this new cultivar seem to have been worked out of it.  And if that takes a couple of years, well then so be it!

Cheers!

PM
==

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 09:15:30 PM »
I stumbled across one of these at my local nurseries so I decided to pick it up.

Out of curiosity, when Zill's releases a new cultivar in any fruit do they usually get a lot of attention or does this one stand out?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »

So tell me, what makes it harder to graft than any other sap?  Just trying to justify your hot poker offering?

Why do you keep attacking this guy. His price is $200 take it or leave it

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 10:57:56 AM »

Dont like it, dont read it.  This clown is just that, a clown.  I am not looking to purchase one, already have it.  Paid less than $30 for a 3 gal from ZHPP.  Just informing people that $200 is an absolute ripoff....and its not ultra rare nor any harder to graft than any other sap.  Truth hurts, huh...Merry Christmas!
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
Thin skins, and I'm not referring to sapodillas.
John

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »
Bah humbug😂

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »

Dont like it, dont read it.  This clown is just that, a clown.  I am not looking to purchase one, already have it.  Paid less than $30 for a 3 gal from ZHPP.  Just informing people that $200 is an absolute ripoff....and its not ultra rare nor any harder to graft than any other sap.  Truth hurts, huh...Merry Christmas!

$200 is an absolute ripoff is your sorry ass opinion
So now it's your self appointed job to tell everyone what the fair value is?
And it's your job to call people a clown?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »

I calls it as I sees it...and I am not asking for your permission nor do I care what you think about what I post.  I am helping people (I have already saved people money on a larger and much cheaper specimen).  Maybe you shouldn't care so much as its not affecting you...
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »

I calls it as I sees it...and I am not asking for your permission nor do I care what you think about what I post.  I am helping people (I have already saved people money on a larger and much cheaper specimen).  Maybe you shouldn't care so much as its not affecting you...

Listen to your own advice
It was not affecting you when the seller posted the trees for sale, But you accused him of trying to have sex with people.
This is how you help people?
If you don't like the price shut up and don't buy it. No one needs your help to figure that out.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
BSBullie may have offended some with the way he responded but I agree with him that $200 is definitely a rip off for a 3 gallon sapodilla. Even $100 is a rip off for a 3 gallon sapodilla.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
People just be chasing dollar signs. Nothing wrong with marking something up 5- 10 times because a fool and his/her money are soon parted. Nothing wrong with marking up masks and sanitizers 5-10 times during a health crisis right. People may as well burn money in a warming fire with all the stupid crap they buy. The more people pay for a fruit tree, the more value and care (value) they’ll put into it.
Hype, the varietal name ( butterscotch sounds yummier than Alano , yah?) And presumed rarity drives the market, even if its a sour,small large seed bird food fruit, not that this particular one is.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
If someone is willing to pay $200 for a 3-gallon butterscotch sapodilla, then it is worth $200, at least for that person. The prices I have seen for rare jaboticaba seedlings (nowhere close to 3-gallon size) makes $200 look like nothing. Of course, that is comparing apples to oranges, or in this case, sapodillas to jaboticabas.

Question is, where can people get a 3-gallon butterscotch sapodilla for less than $100? Correct me if I am wrong, but Zill is not open to the general public, and they do not ship plants.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:15:15 PM by W. »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 10:02:23 PM »
I just bought one. I reviewed my purchase here.. It seems like everyone might be overpricing this cultivar. D’s Fruit Trees and Veggieman01 have a "right" in our capitalist system to charge what they want. I think people who think he is using the forum to sell overpriced plants have a "right" to inform other people. If you put yourself out there you have to take the good and the bad. God bless you if you can sell at those prices. They are $70 at Fruitscapes in 7 gal pots. I think they are overpriced there too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:49:38 AM by CarolinaZone »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
Any product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
If no one is wiling to pay $200, the price will either be dropped or the item kept to maturity by OP.
He has listed his price and that is that.  I bet he gets twice as much on ebay, I seem to recall a variety of jaboticaba selling for sky high price on ebay in the last year or two.
I wouldn't call the seller a fool and I wouldn't call the buyer (whomever it ends up being) a fool either.

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 10:47:22 PM »
A nursery in Phoenix has them listed at $85 for a 3 gallon. He had a little bit of a winter clearance sale, and I believe I got it for $60 - just a couple months ago.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »
D’s Fruit Trees, did you ever sell trees at the Palm Beach County Rare Fruit Council sale?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 02:13:48 AM »
I just bought one. I reviewed my purchase here.. I seems like everyone might be overpricing this cultivar. D’s Fruit Trees and Veggieman01 have a "right" in our capitalist system to charge what they want. I think people who think he is using the forum to sell overpriced plants have a "right" to inform other people. If you put yourself out there you have to take the good and the bad. God bless you if you can sell at those prices. They are $70 at Fruitscapes in 7 gal pots. I think they are overpriced there too.

I agree. I personally would not pay $100 (or $200) for a 3-gallon butterscotch sapodilla but think that anyone can sell or buy one at that price if they personally think it is worth it. I wonder if I had a much larger plant buying budget whether I would be more amenable to paying that amount for this plant. People with Bill Whitman-esque plant buying budgets probably would not bat an eyelid at paying that type of money; though such people would probably spend $2,000 to get a full-size tree.

Your review is a good one for anyone looking to make a plant buying trip down to Florida.