Author Topic: Atemoya variety Geffner?  (Read 1446 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Atemoya variety Geffner?
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »
What is the realistic size that it can be kept through annual after harvest pruning and still be productive? After pruning to minimum size how much could it possibly grow in one season? Is this tree and variety available at the retail level in South Florida?

It would be planted in the ground
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:36:21 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya variety Geffner? Minimum size pruned and still produce fruit.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
I got a 15 gallon geffner in the Summer of 2019.
I planted it in the ground and let it grow the rest of the Summer. This Spring after it flushed
out it was about 8' tall and 10' wide. It over produced fruit and some of it didn't size up.
I will thin one fruit every 6" for now on. It is a very productive tree.. I would think you could
keep it 10 x 10 and get around 25 fruit easy. You probably will get 50 fruit and will have to thin.
I never hand pollinated and it was producing 2-3 in each cluster. Did you want to keep
it smaller to protect it in the Winter?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
I planted it in the ground and let it grow the rest of the Summer. This Spring after it flushed
out it was about 8' tall and 10' wide. It over produced fruit and some of it didn't size up.
I will thin one fruit every 6" for now on. It is a very productive tree.. I would think you could
keep it 10 x 10 and get around 25 fruit easy. You probably will get 50 fruit and will have to thin.
I never hand pollinated and it was producing 2-3 in each cluster. Did you want to keep
More of a placement issue.
I do have a question.  Hypothetically if you were able to obtain Cherilata budwood  could you graft it to your Atemoya tree?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
I do have a question.  Hypothetically if you were able to obtain Cherilata budwood  could you graft it to your Atemoya tree?
Yes it would be compatible. I have a cherilata I got this year that is grafted on pond apple and I pugged it late
this Fall. The leaves are still dark green while all my other annonas are partially defoliated and dormant and what leaves are left
are old and about to fall off. I have sugar apples, atemoyas, custard apples, 1 ilama , 1 sour sop and 1 bright green
cherilata. The cherilata is a beast. I have had 5 nights in the 38-40F range already.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »
Yes it would be compatible. I have a cherilata I got this year that is grafted on pond apple and I pugged it late
this Fall. The leaves are still dark green while all my other annonas are partially defoliated and dormant and what leaves are left
are old and about to fall off. I have sugar apples, atemoyas, custard apples, 1 ilama , 1 sour sop and 1 bright green
cherilata. The cherilata is a beast. I have had 5 nights in the 38-40F range already.

Thanks you've been a big help. I just got lucky and found a Atemoya Geffner  locally :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 06:40:20 PM »
Just because it says doesn't make it so. Hopefully I didn't get flim-flammed.

Leaves look much bigger than my sugar apples

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:53:02 PM by bovine421 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »

Brilliant! I would love to know how that combination lasts long term.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 09:49:03 PM »

That sure looks like an atemoya to me, and since Geffner is the most common, there would be little reason to mislabel it as such.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »

That sure looks like an atemoya to me, and since Geffner is the most common, there would be little reason to mislabel it as such.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I usually don't like to do business with Facebook Marketplace but it saved me time and gas it seems that anyone with a landscaping trailer and a tax ID number goes to South Florida and buys tropical fruit which is good and most claim to purchase from Zhpp. Two seasons ago I bought a ruby Supreme guava from another source on face book Market. It has one of those beautiful little tags but recently we started to harvest guavas and they are white. The good news is my wife is ecstatic because they are so sweet. When we cut one tomorrow I will take photo so someone can try to identify it. I know some of the fourm members get a kick out of that. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk