Author Topic: Anything to see at fruit and spice park tomorrow (1/18/2020)  (Read 966 times)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
Anything to see at fruit and spice park tomorrow (1/18/2020)
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:10:45 PM »
Hi anything worth checking out ANY FRUITS in season ? (will be there anyways__)

Any other places  in homestead or Miami to see

I also enjoy tree's with other uses like tea's do they sell anything like that
I know your suppose to pick the fruit if fallen so I doubt if a tree has a use for tea of the leaves you couldn't pick that.

Is it big enough to not see all the tree's in one day I may go twice what's your opinion

I may  take photos but my camera I brought wit me  is not the best.

I could call but do you think I could leave my bag at the gate it is heavy , and I not sure if I want the same motel or stay extra in homestead.
I will call but anyone done that before?

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
Re: Anything to see at fruit and spice park tomorrow (1/18/2020)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:22:06 PM »
Oh I might go to Fairchild botanical garden in Miami I forgot about that

I also might fly back from fort Lauderdale so anything worth looking at in these area's

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:29:22 PM »
Take the tour.
Andrew gives it at 10 or 11 am. He will tell you.
Not much this time of year some sapodillas and some persimmons and some bananas.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:38:21 PM »
Yes be ready to walk. You have to be very methodical. It is like a huge square. So it easy to miss trees. Still interesting to see at any time of the year.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
Oh I might go to Fairchild botanical garden in Miami I forgot about that

I also might fly back from fort Lauderdale so anything worth looking at in these area's

Just be sure tp phone Fairchild (and any other Florida places you plan to visit) beforehand since it seems that many such places are limiting access to their venues due to the pandemic. 

And if they are open on a limited basis then for that reason alone you may want to make a reservation.

Can't hurt to check first rather than travel a very long distance only to be turned away.

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.
==

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »
Thanks Epicatt2 Yeah I didn't go to Fairchild with the limited time I had there.
I searched quickly on a Glitchy motel computer, and didn't realize it was farther from Miami at the time.

Take the tour.
Andrew gives it at 10 or 11 am. He will tell you.
Not much this time of year some sapodillas and some persimmons and some bananas.
I should of got there earlier , but went for a  hour interesting plants tried some stuff , but none of those
Thought the orange Berries edited Glycosmis pentaphylla tasted like a pine resin taste interesting (lost seeds of that though),
 and the jujube which I've had, but these had a coconut flavor. and some mulberries and big yellow juicy sour fruit
had sapodillas on way back
(and bought some in Latin store in Little Havana in Miami not knowing what it was not yet ripe
but the spanish word looked came back as loquat
(which I know it was not since not in apple/rose family with dried star formation on bottom of fruit like apples have)

The pictures I have are not great but mostly pictures of tree identifying signs since didn't have much time.

Yes be ready to walk. You have to be very methodical. It is like a huge square. So it easy to miss trees. Still interesting to see at any time of the year.
Yeah was suppose to go back but decided to sleep in did not mind walking back to homestead so do not mind walking
(even though I could of called for a ride ) I like having time spent in open air listening to music to myself
ate some sapodillas ripe I found on way back.
Actually Most the pictures I took were the signs along Krome ave like the nursery businesses, and some smoothie  place.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:02:31 PM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 04:15:53 PM »
Oh that sour  yellow fruit was Garcinia (spicata ) (according I believe to pictures I took_)

Roxburgh fig Ficus auriculata gathered dried fruits of that It may be mulch
but wondering if I can try the seeds of that for interesting house plants
Does anyone know if just putting the dried fruit in the soil will the dried seeds grow?

Tried it didn't really have a taste didn't see if it made tea or anything as fruits were in bag with other stuff (and not edible anymore )

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:20:47 PM »
If you have another chance try to go in August. It becomes an awesome place. Hot too
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo