Author Topic: Mangoes that refrigerate  (Read 903 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Mangoes that refrigerate
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:46:18 PM »
I was watching a video this weekend and there was an interesting sidebar about mangoes that refrigerate well. I think it was Dot that supposedly tastes excellent even after 2 months of refrigeration and looking dry and wrinkly. They mention Keitt too. In another thread here bsbullie mentions Mallika dehydrates well, but that wasn't about refrigeration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Y5ZaCjzxg
around 16:20

So I'm curious what varieties do this? Seems like an easy way to extend mango season.
Shane

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes that refrigerate
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »
Pickering and Little Gem both do relatively well in the fridge if close to fully ripe when placed there.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:20:59 PM »
Bleck!

Every refrigerated mango that I've tried sucked to varying degrees. Even Ceci Love, ST, OS, LZ, Dot, ...

Some sucked more, some less than others, but they all sucked nonetheless. Makes me angry just thinking bout it.

If can't eat them ripe: dried, juiced, smoothied, or frozen are the only ways to go.

Oh, and hot sauce or bbq sauce. Whipped some overripe Lil Gems, scotch bonnets, ginger, turmeric, and stuff into a respectable thick tropical sauce.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 03:25:19 PM »
Haden can be cut up and refrigerated and still taste great (if you like the taste of Haden). They're also great for cooking and making jam and preserves with.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
Glenn, Keitt, Kent, VP, Mallika
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 07:11:58 PM »
Pickering and Little Gem both do relatively well in the fridge if close to fully ripe when placed there.

I second Pickering.  Have had them 1 month after and they still tasted good.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 07:12:58 PM »
Here's something else you can do with mangoes:

Slice the sides and leave a little mango on the skin. Place them on the grill, skin down/mango flesh up. Grill some fish, shrimp, chicken, pork, whatever on top of the mango. You can toss the main dish straight on the grill, and finish it on top of the mangoes. Saw someone doing it with citrus, tried with mango, and it was delicious.

This would still work with a refrigerated mango; would be particularly funky with wild mangoes.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 11:33:09 PM »
Also with  your refrigerator, chill your blander mangoes in refrigerator before eating.
@Roblack---
Grilling firm mango halves/ leave all skin on them/ should make them sweeter. Sprinkle salt on them before grilling to bring out the mango sweetness. Experimental -- Sprinkle some cayenne on one or two to make a hot/spicy condiment for the grilled meat and chicken.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:36:26 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk