Author Topic: Preventative Care  (Read 730 times)

Piss P

• Washington DC (7b)
    • View Profile
Preventative Care
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
Heyo!

I am new to growing citrus but have some experience growing exotic plants/trees - I know all too well the number of things that can attack young and old plants. With that, I want to start growing my citrus off the right way and get ahead of the issues. What is the best disease/pest preventative care regiment for citrus (esp. young plants)?

I'd love some formal publications on the topic but any and all advice is welcomed

Thank You!
pp

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Preventative Care
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
The University of California's Agriculture and Natural Resources publication # 3539, a 433 page Publication titled "Citrus Production Manual' publication will tell you everything you are looking for.  It is available at the ANR Communication  Services online at http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu or phone 1-800-994-8849.

Piss P

• Washington DC (7b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 11:06:25 AM »
Very much appreciated, Millet! I am going to try and find a copy of that - or at least the pertinent part(s). My main concern is spider mites - they have been a nuisance in the past. And once they have arrived its tough getting them out so I'd rather thwart their attempts to begin with.

Do you have experience treating your plants/soil preventatively for pests? If so, or if you happen to know, what is a good choice for preventing these tiny demons? i.e. spraying a neem/horticulture oil solution on the plants once a month or adding pesticide granules to the top soil every other month etc. With my naivety in citrus growing, I am unsure if these ideas are ridiculous and could poison the plants or in-line with what the experienced growers are doing.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
For young plants not producing fruit, use Bayer advance with yout watering...

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »
Thanks Laaz.  I didn't see which thread.  How long can I use that stuff before fruiting starts.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »
You can use it up until you want to let it start fruiting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk