Author Topic: Growing Sapodilla and Jabotica in Containers  (Read 1291 times)

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
Growing Sapodilla and Jabotica in Containers
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:08:06 PM »
I've got a few questions regarding sapodilla and jaboticaba growing in containers. I'm located in 10A/10B.

I've ordered three Plinia sp. "Grimal Jaboticaba", aka "Peluda de Alagoas" PLUG from Flying Fox fruits and will be visiting a local nursery to pickup a 3g Makok or Silas Wood sapodilla.

When growing Makok/Silas Wood Sapodilla and Jaboticaba in containers what is the best strategy? Pot and upsize the pot as time goes on or start them in their final container size?

If the best strategy is to start them in their final container size what is a recommended size? 15/20/25?

When it comes to soil what is a recommended soil to purchase? Is regular potting soil good or is there a better mix I should look for? I'm looking for something easy to find at a big box store or local nursery.

I'm running out of space in the yard to plant and am now looking to try whatever dwarf/small fruit trees I can in containers, any other recommendations for container grown fruit trees would be great!

Thanks!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Sapodilla and Jabotica in Containers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
I don't think it is ever a good idea to start a tree in their final container size.  I always start with a container a little bigger than the rootball and pot up as it grows.  If your container is too large it may result in stagnant water and mold because the tree isn't absorbing it fast enough.  If you try to water less to balance that out, the tree may not get enough water or channels will be created in the soil that leave dry areas

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
Makok is my favorite sapodilla and doesn't get as large as Silas Wood.
The SW has more fruit. I agree and would start with small pots and up pot
later. I use this mix for my jaboticabas

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/

I have a Diamond R that carries this near me.

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:54 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do the up-potting strategy as you all recommended.

I'll also look at the Makok sapodilla variety achetadomestica.

Is there a specific soil I can pick up at Home Depot/Lowe's or commonly found at local nurseries I can use for potting fruit trees that's recommended?

Will the Miracle Grow Potting Soil in the yellow bag or the Miracle Grow Cactus, Palm, Citrus Soil be safe to use?

I also have a Mamey Sapote v. Pace in a 1g pot that I plan to up pot before I plant it in ground at it's final spot, should it be up potted to a 3 or 7 gal? I'll eventually be planting it in the front yard but it's still so small that I'm afraid of it getting damaged.

Thanks for all the help!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
It seems that in certain regions of the US, Miracle Grow Garden Soil is quite good.  However, in my region it is muck and is totally unsuitable.

The easist mix to obtain is a 5-1-1 mix of mulch, peat moss, and perlite or gravel.   This works great but the mulch rots in 6mo or so and you must repot or else it becomes poor-draining muck.   There are longer last mixes but they are harder to source materials for - coconut husk chips, turface, granite, hydroton...

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
It seems that in certain regions of the US, Miracle Grow Garden Soil is quite good.  However, in my region it is muck and is totally unsuitable.

The easist mix to obtain is a 5-1-1 mix of mulch, peat moss, and perlite or gravel.   This works great but the mulch rots in 6mo or so and you must repot or else it becomes poor-draining muck.   There are longer last mixes but they are harder to source materials for - coconut husk chips, turface, granite, hydroton...

I did not realize Miracle-Gro varied from region to region. I have always liked Miracle-Gro, or at least I had until recently. The quality of the last bag I purchased is simply appalling. After talking with a few people, I found that it is not just my bag, but all the Miracle-Gro they've gotten for months. Who knows what is going on, probably the pandemic or that could just be an excuse to cut quality and boost profits.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 10:32:43 PM »
Hey panther an easy mix for jabos is peat moss and perlite. About 15-20% perlite to 80-85% peatmoss (they love acid soil) , easy to find supplies. Use osmocote or my fav hollytone for feeding them. This is just for jabos i dont have any exp with sapodilla.
Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk