Author Topic: Grafting onto large mango tree.  (Read 3286 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting onto large mango tree.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2021, 08:52:51 PM »
I'm wondering if I could get the lemon zest to grow more horizontal and once it gets strong enough tie some rocks onto the branch to get it to start going horizontal? 🤔
Say if you wish to have the LZ moving to the right horizontally, then place a black hole on the left of the tree at the graft union height,  and it will creates the strong gravity needed to fool the tree.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »
Great idea, maybe Amazon has a couple I can get. 😆

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
Great idea, maybe Amazon has a couple I can get. 😆

Better ask the Challenger crew, i bet they can help you....https://aplanetruth.info/theyre-alive-challenger-crew-found-alive-and-well-30-years-since-the-disaster/

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2021, 06:47:16 AM »
Update on pina colada scion. Looks to be a successful graft. The honey kiss and lemon zest going strong. The purple leaves are from the original rootstock.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 09:47:54 AM »
Here is the updated mango stump project. It's constantly growing like a champ! Looks super happy.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
Did you graft anything else in besides Pina Colada?

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 05:40:39 PM »
I grafted honey kiss, lemon zest, pickering, Seacrest and pina colada onto it. I just wonder how long until it sets fruit?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:28 AM »
The Pickering (at least) will probably try to set fruit this next season. You need to give some thought to whether you let it hold any fruit yet or not. With the existing root system, you don't need to be concerned with unduly stressing it, but letting it fruit will put load stress on branches that are probably not yet up to holding the weight and somewhat delay the tree getting bigger/stronger. Trying to get ~10 fruit off of it could cost you your shot of getting 50+ fruit off of it next season.

It's not a call you have to make now, and it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Just be aware that any branch(es) you let hold fruit will miss a significant portion of the growing season. You'll probably have to prune with extra care to make sure any fruiting branches still get good light; the other branches will go through a few pushes and could shade-out the fruiting branches (further stunting their development). Heavily-shaded branches don't thrive.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »
Jake fruit, thank you for the helpfull tips and a good plan! I have a mature tree everyone thinks is a carrie so if it takes a few seasons for this one to be ready then I'll just prune the pea sized fruit off a season or 2. Then once it starts fruiting good I may just remove the varieties getting shaded out and just keep the varieties that are producing well. Such a fun project.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk