Author Topic: Chewy mango from grocery store  (Read 746 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Chewy mango from grocery store
« on: February 06, 2022, 04:13:16 PM »
Saw Kent, felt good, bought 1, put in fridge 2 days & just ate some now.
Almost against my religion but I tossed it after eating less then half.  Gross & weak taste.
Last yr bought a bunch from another store & same thing.  My Kent's are never chewy.

What causes mango to be chewy?  Too much or too little of something?

Edit- by chewy I mean rubber like have to chew. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:12:09 PM by EddieF »

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Re: Chewy mango from grocery store
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »
Was this the one that came from Peru? My guess is that it was picked while still absurdly unripe. I've encountered this with Avocados here, but not with Mango. My wife actually just bought a batch of Kent and Edward at the market. I'm sure they're grown on the coast (not locally). I guess if I encounter a chewy one I'll know it's the Kent.

So, you got ripped off by Peru even though you're thousands of miles away!? Pretty impressive. If you want, maybe I can seek reparations for you.

Or certainly you're not the only one, maybe we can get Publix involved and finance a class action suit against the growers. I have access to local lawyers here on the ground. The lawyer will probably require a 100/0 split (100% of the payment for the lawyer and zero percent for us) which is the traditional legal way of doing things in Peru.  ;D

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 08:13:22 PM »
Thanks for clarifying. I was scratching my head a little.
That texture usually happens when the mango is picked immature.
The flesh softens but never really ripens.

A few of the first mangos of the year for me end up like this because I just the gun.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 08:18:40 PM »
Probably harvested too early and didn't ripen properly. I haven't bought a grocery store mango in years.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 09:57:42 PM »
Thanks guys!  Likely picked too early.  My favorite are when I pick them up from under tree before ants get them. However, I picked last yr's weeks early cause of squirrels.  They still weren't chewy or rubbery though.  I'm exaggerating a bit to get point across.  If I was starving, I would've eaten down to the pit.  Taste was there but less then 1/2 strength.  Texture killed it.

DJSpurr

• USA, California, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 01:42:34 AM »
I’ve always found in California that most South American mangoes don’t ripen well.  However, why did you put it in the fridge first?  I almost never refrigerate mangoes.  It certainly doesn’t help them ripen…

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 01:27:46 PM »
Some people like to eat Mangos while still green. I remember doing that in central Mexico one time. In Peru, they're popular as a roadside snack, but I found them too sour.