Author Topic: Best tangerine/Mandarins I've eaten in 10 yrs. In stock at Aldi  (Read 1398 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Best tangerine/Mandarins I've eaten in 10 yrs. In stock at Aldi
« on: February 06, 2022, 08:42:50 PM »
I love strong sour/sweet tangerines and I was missing the dancy tangerines I use to eat in Florida at my house years ago.

To my surprise today at Aldi, 3 lb. bag for something like $3.... So I bought them to try as they felt firm and not dehydrated sitting to long in storage... Make sure they are not limp/dehydrated old... Mine all were great and going tomorrow to buy more as I'm hooked on a super sour and sweet taste that I've missed for many years and Jan. is the peak for Florida picked fruits but may be overseas or from California and it only says on the label:::  Tiny and Tasty Easy Peel MANDIES Mandarins by Aldi... Distributed exclusively by Aldi, Bativa, Il 60510.....

Too bad citrus is so hard to grown in Fl. 

Someone is having success somewhere and I hope others loving sour/sweet mandarin/tangerine taste go to Aldi quick.... for this amazing taste... Very small tiny but strong strong taste & worth it for sure to me...

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Best tangerine/Mandarins I've eaten in 10 yrs. In stock at Aldi
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »
Nice find. Publix here was getting some mandarin type citrus the last month or so from FL. Best tasting mandarins ever. My family ate through at least 20 bags of them. Makes me wonder how they do it in FL. Every time I drive down there all the citrus groves I see look abandoned.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 09:14:50 PM »
As I said, I have no idea  what state or country they came from. But, they are great to me and one of my sons. Super concentrated sour/citrus/sweet taste if you like that taste like I do...

Too strong sour citrus taste for my wife... lol... I even like biting the peeling and getting that strong citrus spray since these are so fresh and there is a sweetness to them. I ate 90% of the 3 lb bag and only two are saved for tomorrow before I return to the source (Aldi) for more.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 12:15:46 AM »
I've been eating Aldi mandarins for a couple of months now, cheapest I've found.
Now I'm spoiled, can't buy anywhere else.
I've noticed labels from Chile, Peru & California USA.  Even within each country, taste & quality varied.
Some too sour for me, some super sweet (which I like), some with loose skin - easy to peel, and some very hard to peel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:53:43 PM by dm »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:38:27 AM »
I want to send you a box to compare
Brad Spaugh

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 09:03:40 AM »
My home-grown Owaris, Brown's Select and Kishus were fantastic this year...

Kevin

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 05:52:40 PM »
Palmcity, i'll have to check them out.  Thanks.
I know someone that grows citrus & you're right about problems but when they're good, they're great.
I planted 15gal Ortanique orange cross & Flame grapefruit almost 1yr ago.
1 Ortanique is ripening & 2 Flames.  I had ate 1 flame too early but wow was good!
Ortanique had 2 but 1 split while tiny & hard but tasted it & that'll be great too.  Added gypsum since.
Leaves get eaten by pita bugs, have to stay on it with spray.  Still gets beat up though.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 08:27:00 PM »
Palmcity, i'll have to check them out.  Thanks.
I know someone that grows citrus & you're right about problems but when they're good, they're great.
First congratulations on being able to grow citrus in South Florida... I gave up as I was so used to just fertilizing/watering occasionally and letting them grow for over 20 years.... I could not talk myself into using imidacloprid etc. even though I know I probably ate quite a bit over the last few days from grocery store products... I prefer not knowing how much and just buying them at the store. Also, the amount of work required is more than for mango trees etc. IMO... A friend of mine manages groves between here and tampa and he said shorter life span for the trees and more of everything to get a smaller production than years ago... He is considering exiting citrus production.

Back to Aldi, the Mandarines are extremely tiny.... Tiny but tiny little dynamite fruit and so so strong and good tasting... About 30 to 35 I'm guessing per 3 lb. bag... I ate about 95% of 2 bags yesterday and today.. lol...
The pears at the local Aldi in a 3 lb. bag are also outstanding  and many are ripe to a yellow color in the bag  and the best I've tasted for the pears at Aldi also..... (The grapes were only average to below average taste and not firm juicy like at some times and a little less sweet currently)....

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 08:00:19 AM »
Sounds wonderful except for the strong sour taste.  Takes a lot of sugar to balance that out.

I grafted a scion of Page mandarin to a Persian  lime tree.  It really took off.  Any tried Page?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »
Mandies- bought 2 bags.  Ate 4 soon as I got home heh.  All 4 were different.
1st tasted like sweet tart candy, next more mild, next more sweet, next more sour.

Here's first Flame I grew/ate.  Strong, sweet & tangy, juicy.
If I get 1/2 dozen of these per yr I'll be happy, 1 dozen I'll be joyous lol.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 01:55:50 PM »
Got my first crop of brown select satsumas this year. Bought the tree at just fruits and exotics 2 to 3 seasons ago. They were pretty good but not the absolute greatest. As the tree settles in better they should get better I'd think.

A seed grown Satsuma in a friend's yard was epically good. First time it fruited this year. Said the tree had been there a long time. It's definitely worth trying to propagate this one. Planted seeds but I'll try grafting a piece onto a tree in my yard.
Trying to grow it all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk