Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59568 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2022, 07:10:52 PM »
I know the bi-rite store in ca has these fruits occasionally from Calmei Yangmei…if anyone picks up a pound of some fruit and ships it to me, I’ll give you my an hai Yangmei tree! It’s really big🤭.
Offer expired! Come again later!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:31:41 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2022, 01:13:56 AM »

I up potted my lone biqi survivor into a spicier soil mix. It seems to be doing ok. I lost my other biqi and regret not just cutting it up into branches and grafting to the Californica I have. I will cut the male up and graft when it gets over the transplant shock and boosts again. 

I was lucky try 1lb of yangmei fruit and it’s the real deal. One of the better rare fruits I tried with a near perfect balance of sweet, sour, bitter and very juicy. I get the hype now.

Your tree look good. When it sends out red buds, or red new leaves, or leaves with red hue, it means the tree is very healthy. Good luck.

The fruits are indeed very delicious and very unique. I’m glad that you like them. Which variety did you try?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:50 PM »
Your tree look good. When it sends out red buds, or red new leaves, or leaves with red hue, it means the tree is very healthy. Good luck.

The fruits are indeed very delicious and very unique. I’m glad that you like them. Which variety did you try?

I think it is about to push right now, it has been on pause for a very long time in the peat moss I used to root it. Unfortunately many roots broke off when I up-potted it into FoxFarm, but it's still looking ok overall. The peat moss was maybe not the best medium for rooting and I would go 50/50 with FoxFarm peat next time, the peat didn't have enough nutrition and I think it held it back, even from building roots. It was just luck this one survived.

I got the black pearl variety from Calmei. Very good, but VERY expensive. For me it was worth it because I've already spent $400 on yangmei trees so I absolutely needed to know if it was worth this $ and effort.

In my opinion it is worth my losses and I'm very happy to have a tree despite all the heartache. I would try again if we got another good deal for big trees again.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:01:25 PM by K-Rimes »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »
I hope everyone's plant is doing well. Now is the final test for them: SUMMER...

Since it takes so long for this plant to heal and grow new roots, I'd say that anything that pushes within a month of planting is pretty much going to die. I didn't want to jinx it back when people were so excited.

So slow push is good. Hopefully the plants took the off time to develop roots.

What seems to be the strongest and weakest varieties? "DongKui males" seem to do well. Wusu seems to be good. Black Carbon is the weakest?

Based on my grafting 1 scion each from my neighbor's 3 grafted plants, wusu is the strongest since it's the only one that made it. Honestly, I didn't expect any of them to take. The twigs were pretty far from the ideal size. Even fresh from my mom's tree, twigs of this size don't survive.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2022, 01:39:37 PM »
I had 4 plants total: 1 biqi female, 1 biqi male, two dongkui.

The only survivor is biqi male. I up potted it from the rooting medium of peat moss into potting soil and it's still alive and building buds so that's promising. I think once I see buds on the branches I'll chop it up and graft to californica, it's just doing not too well on its current roots and I fear it will die.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2022, 02:27:39 PM »
For me, the An Hai was the strongest/ easiest.  My only tree to make it from Beicadad's original order was An Hai (I think I had ordered 2).  I only ordered 1 An Hai from Bill's order and it survived and is doing well.  Not sure if it's because of the nematodes but none of the 4 Black Carbons from Bill's order survived, and Dongkui from Beicadad and Bill (I think total of 5) did not make it.

Janet

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2022, 03:56:11 PM »
Here is my update:

The 2 orders from Bill, total 18 plants.  the following are still alive.  33% successful rate.
* 1 x WuSu
* 1 X DK (Male, the only male tree that I ordered) (Strongest of all)
* 1 X DK female
* 1 X Crystal
* 1 X BiQi
* 1 X late

12 grafted on 3 trees, and 10 of the grafted die included the 2 rootstock themselves.  Only on rootstock with only One DK female and one DK Male grafted is doing fine.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
Last night I was re reading the Yangmei thread from the 2012 start. We have come a looong way! I recommend you read it. Many peoples mistakes and tips are in there.
Out of the 2 orders I purchased 6 trees
2 from first order that I assigned to someone in CA to take care of which died(no hate to you…thanks for doing it! Everyone else’s died anyways!)
And four from second order.
I got 3/4
Biqi
Dk male
An hai
And black crystal which died….it pushed and had good roots…no idea?
They have been chugging along. For now….I’ve been acquiring rootstock for the long haul grafts.
The best looking is the male, but everyone else has been good, and I think mine are the biggest out of everyone’s in the march order…send me a picture if you think otherwise! Of course anything could happen and my trees could die…it’s a daily process.
I’ve been trating for RKN
Reading off the earlier thread, in ground in 7b might not be the best. I’ll stick to pots until I have more stock to do experiments.

I’m glad there are a lot more trees in the us and that we can start getting scions if all else fails….if another order takes place, I’d buy a couple trees just for scions! Based off of other peoples experiences, it’s best to graft right when you receive the tree. Even from the very first order by beicadad, the tree I got, although weak and old from shipping, the branches looked very fresh. Unfortunately I had no idea and no rootstock so I just watch it die back to nothing.

If anyones interested, there is a black carbon being sold on eBay auction ending tonight by Fruitsy Farms! Check him out! I’ve got some cool stuff from him before!

For future reference for me and anyone else, here is some progress pics.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:43:40 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »
I wonder where Fruitsy Farms got the Black Crystal. He said, he didn't join the group buy

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »
I wonder where Fruitsy Farms got the Black Crystal. He said, he didn't join the group buy
After talking to him, he said he has been growing these rare trees for a long time…he’s probably us time to propagate them by himself which he has done.
Cool stuff!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2022, 10:07:45 PM »
A couple updates on my in ground plants:
Seedling full sun

Seedling in shade cage

The grafted squad from the last shipment:
On Myrica californica, grafted by myself
Don't remember which is which, but I succesfully grafted: Biqi, Dongkui, Crystal, WuSu

From Beicadad shipment:
Biqi on rootstock from China

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 10:20:40 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2022, 10:58:32 PM »
A couple updates on my in ground plants:
Seedling full sun

Seedling in shade cage

The grafted squad from the last shipment:
On Myrica californica, grafted by myself
Don't remember which is which, but I succesfully grafted: Biqi, Dongkui, Crystal, WuSu

From Beicadad shipment:
Biqi on rootstock from China

I’m not sure if you mentioned this, but may I ask what your approx grafting percentage was?
Thanks!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2022, 11:05:57 PM »
Probably around 40-50% takes.

I had one that took but after I unwrapped it and went to plant it a couple days later it snapped off the union. It had only healed in one small section, about a mm or two.  They certainly are difficult to graft.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2022, 11:12:28 PM »
Probably around 40-50% takes.

I had one that took but after I unwrapped it and went to plant it a couple days later it snapped off the union. It had only healed in one small section, about a mm or two.  They certainly
are difficult to graft.
Thanks for your story. I wonder if approach grafting is the right way to go? Problem is that I suck at approach grafting. I probably ruined one of my plinias cause of that lol.
I guess the best way is to mass graft if possible and just eat the losses.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2022, 11:47:21 PM »
Yeah I'm honestly not sure. It seems like it's just such a hardwood species with thin cambium that it's just going to lend itself to be difficult to graft.  Would love to hear other's thoughts and experiences on the matter.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 02, 2022, 12:29:33 AM »
Ok so I thought this would be good to share with the group…
First,
Read as many papers about Yangmei as you can. Like Simon mentioned, most of them were written in China with those conditions, and not for people here in the US, but they still have good info.
I’ve learned a lot

Second,
These suckers can tolerate water…I was on vacation to the avocado land this week and just got back. My dad set up a sprinkler system for the plants so they wouldn’t dry out while we were gone…well I forgot to tell him that every day water is too much…I remembered that when I was in Mexico so too late. My greenhouse is a mess with all the plants ok but here’s the important part….
The Yangmei were in a tub so the RKN wouldn’t go out in the ground. I also put paper towels to stop any spray of soil. But the thing flooded( sitting in an cm or so of water) not like flooded …they were sitting in standing water for the most part. 8 days. I assume the water dried during the day so I can’t say the take standing water, but water everyday like this…I am happy
But they look freakin good! The male has been going off!!! I’ll upload a pic later! Wow! Every day they were watered in a tub. But they didn’t slow down at all! This just shows that good roots have developed now and there is no worry of over watering them like when I just got them.

Also, is anyone interested in identifying their trees gender? Marta and really good plants does dna testing.
10 samples is $200
I don’t have 10 teees, but if I could get together enough, maybe it would be worth it to do a run?
I have 2 plants I want to ID
If you want to be on this maybe list, pm me or post here.

1. Rootstock sucker Jaboticaba45
2. Male tree Jaboticaba45
3. Sucker FV Fruit Freak
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:26:07 AM by Jaboticaba45 »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
Does anyone in the Bay area know about this partnership yang-mei grower?
Seems like they have varieties that are not originally from China?
http://calmei-yangmei.com/grow-with-us/

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure they've just renamed those varieties for the market here
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure they've just renamed those varieties for the market here

I saw the California Rare Fruit Growers interview with him.  The original plants are from China.  Like Nat said, just rename them to market here.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »
im going to take a pic next time Im out but heres the update with my yangmei plant.  Its doing ok in full sun here.  Not growing that quickly and I can tell by looking at it that it doesnt really like the super hot sun but its taking it and flushing.  Just doesnt look like its as well suited to this environment as almost any of the other stuff Im growing.  Avocados, stone fruits, lychees mangos etc are just flushing lie crazy now but the yangmei looks like its not super happy.  But it may just need a couple years to get going strong.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2022, 04:06:26 PM »
Here it is in all its glory.  Its roasting in the sun and just creeping along ok.  Nothing special to write home about but also not suffering.

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »
Brad, your tree looks great, especially with your plant it and forget about it style of planting. The research does show photo inhibition above a specific amount of light but your trees prove that it can take the intense sun without protection so far.

As for approach grafting Yangmei, it works fine and I found it relatively easy but it takes more work and time.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2022, 07:03:12 PM »
it was triple digits a week or 2 ago and mid 90s here all the time.  its making it flush and I dont see any damage.  but the leaves do look small like theres too much flux. 
Brad Spaugh

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
Hey how’s everyone’s Yangmei doing?
I recently planted this an hai in ground. I was going to sell it to a gentleman in FL, but the deal fell through when I couldn’t find a big enough box. Plus the leaves turned a bit brown…
I checked the roots and there are no signs of RKN at all. The roots that had galls rotted off and died. Now all I see are new white and brown mature roots. I decided to plant in ground.
Based off my research it seems this can survive here.
The plants are healthy and I saw little white feeder roots.

Just to be safe, I planted this away from my plants even though I think there is no RKN now. I’ll keep treating and will follow up with beneficial nematodes to seal the deal. Even if they spread, in this climate and soil, the damage will be minimal.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2022, 05:01:56 PM »
Hey how’s everyone’s Yangmei doing?
I recently planted this an hai in ground. I was going to sell it to a gentleman in FL, but the deal fell through when I couldn’t find a big enough box. Plus the leaves turned a bit brown…
I checked the roots and there are no signs of RKN at all. The roots that had galls rotted off and died. Now all I see are new white and brown mature roots. I decided to plant in ground.
Based off my research it seems this can survive here.
The plants are healthy and I saw little white feeder roots.

Just to be safe, I planted this away from my plants even though I think there is no RKN now. I’ll keep treating and will follow up with beneficial nematodes to seal the deal. Even if they spread, in this climate and soil, the damage will be minimal.

In zone 7b? What will you do to protect it?

On my end, my yangmei is totally parked and not moving at all so I'm just going to graft it onto some californica and call it a day. The Californicas are growing very fast and I will miss the window of rootstock diameter to yangmei branch diameter if I wait too long.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 05:04:39 PM by K-Rimes »