Author Topic: Anyone successfully growing Chempejack or Jackedack in So-Cal?  (Read 2419 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Chempedak is my favorite childhood fruit after mangosteen, but after I killed several numbers of seedlings, I am moving on and want to try to grow chempejack or jackedak instead.

Top Tropicals is the only one certified to ship to California. They have this variety:
4692 Jackedak Cheena, Jackfruit x Chempedak (Artocarpus x integer)

However since they have minimum order of $200 to ship to Cali, plus another $120 shipping fee, this is not a cheap purchase and I want to know the odds of getting any fruit here in Los Angeles area. I am in Sun Valley, zone 10A.
Mangoe, lychee, and longan grow well here, but I have killed numerous amount of soursop, jackfruit and chempedak.

I am planning to put the Jackedak in the ground, next to the wall, a mango tree, and a pommegranate tree to shelter it from cold wind and gives it more 'micro climate' condition.

Will anyone who has experience growing Jackedak or Chempejack in So-Cal please share here?

Thank you!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone successfully growing Chempejack or Jackedack in So-Cal?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 01:46:59 PM »
I have a bunch of cheena seedlings growing.  My jackfruit and cheena grow like weeds, my champedaks died, kwai muk struggling, marang doing okay.  Not sure how a PA greenhouse compares to southern CA though.

I keep hearing mixed reviews, that cheena is great or that it is worse than jackfruit or champedak.  I'm trying to decide if I should plant one in ground or instead plant another artocarpus.  And also I hear that cheena and jackedak are different hybrids.

If you decide you want to try cheena I'll sell you one for much cheaper, PM me.  I don't believe there are any shipping restrictions from PA->CA for artocarpus.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 02:01:15 PM by brian »

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
Hi PalingKecil,

I grew a Chempejack seedling from a seed I brought back from Costa Rica.  I planted it in the ground from a 1 gallon pot.  It grew well until the first winter.  It seemed like it did not like temperatures below 50.  It suffered and dropped most of its leaves.  I took it out of the ground and put it back in a pot in a shaded part of my yard.  It's still alive though, it seems (I did the scratch test).  If it grows back I will plant it in the ground again.  I really love Chempejack too. 

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »
I have a bunch of cheena seedlings growing.  My jackfruit and cheena grow like weeds, my champedaks died, kwai muk struggling, marang doing okay.  Not sure how a PA greenhouse compares to southern CA though.

I keep hearing mixed reviews, that cheena is great or that it is worse than jackfruit or champedak.  I'm trying to decide if I should plant one in ground or instead plant another artocarpus.  And also I hear that cheena and jackedak are different hybrids.

If you decide you want to try cheena I'll sell you one for much cheaper, PM me.  I don't believe there are any shipping restrictions from PA->CA for artocarpus.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Yes, i am interested to purchase some cheena seedling and kwai muk seedling too.
I read in the older post here that Kwai Muk is doing good here in So-Cal and can bear fruit.
Do you know what variety is your Kwai Muk seedling from?
Top Tropicals claims that their Kwai Muk is Jesses de La Creme variety which is very sweet and productive.
They also states that their Jackedak is from a superior a seedling from Cheena, which happens to bear fruit at age 3 and super productive.
I want to check if there is no restriction to ship Atocarpus from your place to CA, because recently CA is going crazy to confiscate not only plants but seeds too! I purchased some annona seeds from Mexico and Puerto Rico, and they were all confiscated.

Kevin Jones, from Alabama, is no longer ship plant to Ca due to it's crazy restriction. It just started on 2020 after Covid, because before that, I purchased plants and seeds from Mexico, Puerto Ricco, even Thailand, and all arrived safely. I think somehow the CA officials have too much time in their hands since Covid, because they cannot go out visiting people's orchards, so they spend their time to confiscate and destroy our mail order stuff.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »
Hi PalingKecil,

I grew a Chempejack seedling from a seed I brought back from Costa Rica.  I planted it in the ground from a 1 gallon pot.  It grew well until the first winter.  It seemed like it did not like temperatures below 50.  It suffered and dropped most of its leaves.  I took it out of the ground and put it back in a pot in a shaded part of my yard.  It's still alive though, it seems (I did the scratch test).  If it grows back I will plant it in the ground again.  I really love Chempejack too.

Good to know!
I wonder if Cheena seedling is more cold tolerant than other Chempejack out there.
Chempejack is a lot smaller than Jackfruit, so it is a good chance we can keep it in 25 gallon pot and get some fruit if it is protected from the cold maybe.
Have you ever tried growing jackfruit? My seedlings grow super fast, like 2 ft in just 3 months, and then suddenly died one by one for unknown reason.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 03:10:24 PM »
I suspect CA is YMMV for things that are not explicitly banned, such as citrus.  I spent 15min checking the CA pest exclusion sites, and I can't find anything that covers sale of fruit trees, only "fruit" (of which artocarpus is allowed from all states) and "house plants" which my seedlings seem to meet the definition of according to https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/factsheets/TransportingPlantsCA.pdf.  It says import of fruit trees is "strongly discouraged" but only citrus is banned.

It seems possible the CA rules are so strict they can confiscate anything because it doesn't meet some inspection, certification, or quarantine requirement that isn't obvious.  I'm curious to hear what Kevin's experience is.  I'm not exactly operating a commercial nursery here in my back yard so I don't think CA would spend any time threatening me...  more likely they would just destroy the package if they happen to open it and are displeased.   

I have no idea if Cheena tree is smaller than Jackfruit.  My in-ground jackfruit grows like crazy and I have to keep pruning it to keep it under 10ft tall.  The Cheena seedlings are probably becoming rootbound and need up-potting as I didn't pay much attention to them over winter. 

My kwai muk seedling came from 9waters on Etsy, I think it was $25 shipped.  No idea what variety.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:17:21 PM by brian »

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:50 AM »
Hi PalingKecil,

Good to know!
I wonder if Cheena seedling is more cold tolerant than other Chempejack out there.
Chempejack is a lot smaller than Jackfruit, so it is a good chance we can keep it in 25 gallon pot and get some fruit if it is protected from the cold maybe.
Have you ever tried growing jackfruit? My seedlings grow super fast, like 2 ft in just 3 months, and then suddenly died one by one for unknown reason.

I have a few jackfruit seedling trees planted in the ground. Some of them are getting quite big.  That’s strange how your trees die like that.  Do you grow them in pots or in the ground?  I’ve noticed that the jackfruit tree’s root system seems very sensitive, much like avocado.  I’ve killed a few jackfruit trees trying to get them out of pots and into the ground.  I’ve given up on planting them in pots.  Now I just directly plant the seeds in the ground.  They seem to grow better this way, at least for me.

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 04:26:04 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if you know this channel, but it is from a very interesting gardner in So Cal you has many in ground Jackfruit and a champejack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn96y0RO68E

I have a young jackfruit and if I am successful I might try a champedak, although I think it will be pushing it. My minimums do not get lower than 5C, but combined with the winter wet and wind it is a tropical killer.

Ciao

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:48 AM »
Lara Farms also ships to California.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 02:19:47 AM »
I suspect CA is YMMV for things that are not explicitly banned, such as citrus.  I spent 15min checking the CA pest exclusion sites, and I can't find anything that covers sale of fruit trees, only "fruit" (of which artocarpus is allowed from all states) and "house plants" which my seedlings seem to meet the definition of according to https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/factsheets/TransportingPlantsCA.pdf.  It says import of fruit trees is "strongly discouraged" but only citrus is banned.

It seems possible the CA rules are so strict they can confiscate anything because it doesn't meet some inspection, certification, or quarantine requirement that isn't obvious.  I'm curious to hear what Kevin's experience is.  I'm not exactly operating a commercial nursery here in my back yard so I don't think CA would spend any time threatening me...  more likely they would just destroy the package if they happen to open it and are displeased.   

I have no idea if Cheena tree is smaller than Jackfruit.  My in-ground jackfruit grows like crazy and I have to keep pruning it to keep it under 10ft tall.  The Cheena seedlings are probably becoming rootbound and need up-potting as I didn't pay much attention to them over winter. 

My kwai muk seedling came from 9waters on Etsy, I think it was $25 shipped.  No idea what variety.

It is very frustrating that we don't even know why they confiscate and destroy our plant or seeds. Seems like CA just want to enforce the Phyto certificate and all the permit so they can collect more money.
Well, one day I will move to Florida!

About the cheena, I read in many forums that it is pretty compact, and can bear fruit at 3 years old from seedling. I prefer chempedak, but it is impossible to grow here without a heated green house, so Cheena is the best choice for me for now.

I am interested on how fast Kwai Muk can bear fruit from seedling. How big is your Kwai Muk seedling now and how old is it?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 02:27:07 AM »
Hi PalingKecil,

Good to know!

I have a few jackfruit seedling trees planted in the ground. Some of them are getting quite big.  That’s strange how your trees die like that.  Do you grow them in pots or in the ground?  I’ve noticed that the jackfruit tree’s root system seems very sensitive, much like avocado.  I’ve killed a few jackfruit trees trying to get them out of pots and into the ground.  I’ve given up on planting them in pots.  Now I just directly plant the seeds in the ground.  They seem to grow better this way, at least for me.

It might be the cold wind that just below 50 degree. I remember they start dying around November. The pots were in the open area without any protection. I grew them in pots and never move them around. Chempedak is even worse, they cannot stand below 60 degree. So i want to try Chempejack and Jackedak.
I just check that Everglades has Cheena, but they mention it is a jackfruit, not a Jackedak or Chempejack. Do you think they just made mistake in the category?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 02:28:44 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if you know this channel, but it is from a very interesting gardner in So Cal you has many in ground Jackfruit and a champejack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn96y0RO68E

I have a young jackfruit and if I am successful I might try a champedak, although I think it will be pushing it. My minimums do not get lower than 5C, but combined with the winter wet and wind it is a tropical killer.

Ciao

Thanks! I watched the video and it gives me hope!
Chempedak is super sensitive to cold, maybe try Jackedak or Chempejack instead. They fruit earlier and more cold tolerant.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 02:29:47 AM »
Lara Farms also ships to California.

Thanks!
Unfortunately they only have jackfruit in their website. They have rare varieties jackfruit though.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
About the cheena, I read in many forums that it is pretty compact, and can bear fruit at 3 years old from seedling. I prefer chempedak, but it is impossible to grow here without a heated green house, so Cheena is the best choice for me for now.

I am interested on how fast Kwai Muk can bear fruit from seedling. How big is your Kwai Muk seedling now and how old is it?

After my jackfruit did so well (big in-ground tree in background) I ordered a bunch of other artocarpus seeds/seedlings last year to see would grow, and this is the result. 

So far the cheena seedlings seem to be quite vigorous.  Maybe they will slow down?  The tallest ones are 3ft tall now not including container. I got the cheena seeds from a forum member exactly one year ago (polologrower, maybe he has more now?).  I kept the best one and up-potted it (seen here in rootmaker pot), sold a few of the nicest looking ones, and by fall I put the rest in a corner of my greenhouse and paid them little attention (the ones in the citripots). 

The kwai muk in the rootmaker is 2ft tall.  I received it a year ago as a seedling, it was same size as that tiny one in the little 2in pot I just got.  It grew well until winter then stagnated and dropped most of its leaves.  I thought it was going to die but you can see it is putting out new growth now.  I assume winter defoliation is not normal for artocarpus... if it does this every year I doubt it will thrive.

I got a marang from a forum member last summer that seemed healthy all winter.  So I really don't know if it is temperature, soil, luck, etc.  I'm trying to decide which tree to put in the ground in this spot that just opened up in my greenhouse.  If kwai muk and cheena are supposed to be compact I might keep them in containers and put the marang in the ground.

there was a good thread some time ago about artocarpus I bookmarked:  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5353.0

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:28:25 AM by brian »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »

After my jackfruit did so well (big in-ground tree in background) I ordered a bunch of other artocarpus seeds/seedlings last year to see would grow, and this is the result. 

So far the cheena seedlings seem to be quite vigorous.  Maybe they will slow down?  The tallest ones are 3ft tall now not including container. I got the cheena seeds from a forum member exactly one year ago (polologrower, maybe he has more now?).  I kept the best one and up-potted it (seen here in rootmaker pot), sold a few of the nicest looking ones, and by fall I put the rest in a corner of my greenhouse and paid them little attention (the ones in the citripots). 

The kwai muk in the rootmaker is 2ft tall.  I received it a year ago as a seedling, it was same size as that tiny one in the little 2in pot I just got.  It grew well until winter then stagnated and dropped most of its leaves.  I thought it was going to die but you can see it is putting out new growth now.  I assume winter defoliation is not normal for artocarpus... if it does this every year I doubt it will thrive.

I got a marang from a forum member last summer that seemed healthy all winter.  So I really don't know if it is temperature, soil, luck, etc.  I'm trying to decide which tree to put in the ground in this spot that just opened up in my greenhouse.  If kwai muk and cheena are supposed to be compact I might keep them in containers and put the marang in the ground.

there was a good thread some time ago about artocarpus I bookmarked:  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5353.0

Brian, your artocarpus look great! It was my dream to have all the artocarpus in TN…what a stupid idea. I had around 10 different types but I realized it’s not worth the time and space, especially with the ultra tropical ones. The only one I have now is Kwai muk as it’s one of my favorite fruits. And it is cold hardy. Also have a breadfruit but I don’t know what to do now as it is rootbound in a 25 gallon.

Anyways regarding chepejak, I was able to taste it and it’s really good. Flavor is like a jackfruit, but more mushy. Not crunchy. I liked it better than all the other jacks I have tried. It’s interesting as the leaves also are slightly hairy, more than a jackfruit, but less than a chempedak. When I had these plants, they did just fine in the greenhouse while chempedak was dying.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 10:59:39 AM »
Thanks!  My longer term plan is to build a bunch more greenhouses, but like you I'm sure space now is very limited. 

Just now I decided to plant the larger kwai muk in the ground.  It clearly wasn't thriving in the container, so I figure after transplanting to ground it will either die quickly or maybe thrive.  If it dies I'll put the marang in that spot. 

I guess I will keep up-potting the larger cheena until it either it fruits or I need the space. 

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks!  My longer term plan is to build a bunch more greenhouses, but like you I'm sure space now is very limited. 

Just now I decided to plant the larger kwai muk in the ground.  It clearly wasn't thriving in the container, so I figure after transplanting to ground it will either die quickly or maybe thrive.  If it dies I'll put the marang in that spot. 

I guess I will keep up-potting the larger cheena until it either it fruits or I need the space.
Yep, I realized that it's not worth having a large jack fruit produce a few fruits a year compared to me planting a mango or something else. I can easily get jackfruits in FL to eat, so why bother growing them up here?

Kwai muk should do great in the greenhouse. Not cold sensitive like the others.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »
My kwai muk is doing great since I put it in the ground.  This seems to be the same pattern for me with other artocarpus... they do just-okay or struggle in containers, but take off vigorously once in ground.  I recently tried putting marang, pedalai, and chempedak in ground also, for fun to see how far I can take it.

Here is a photo of the in-ground kwai muk, and one in a container next to it.  Some time ago these were both about the same size

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 04:34:33 PM by brian »

JGSpears

• Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2024, 10:19:38 AM »
I have a chempejack (chempedak/jackfruit hybrid) growing in my garden in Orlando, FL (zone 10a). Most odd the chempejack hybrids were developed in Malaysia. The most well known of these is Chena. Mine is a hybrid developed in Florida called "Boca". Mine USA still a young tree and has not yet flowered, but is growing well and has already withstood temperatures in the upper 30°sF (3.3°C) with no ill effect. The undersides of the leaves are smooth unlike the jackfruit which have a rough texture. I have heard that Chena has rough leaf underside like jackfruit. When dealing with hybrids, it is important to note that even seedlings from the same two parent plants can have quie different characteristics because odd the way the genes are combined and recombined. These characteristics may include flavor, latex in the fruit, productivity, cold hardiness, drought hardiness, and other unimportant characteristics such as leaf roughness. Good luck with your chempejack trees.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 12:02:47 PM »
I have a kwai muk in ground 9b, not in a great spot in my yard, totally exposed to cold and wind. It has survived a bit of snow and high 20s so far. Another I planted out down in town by the ocean, 10a, at my office, and it's doing great. They don't seem to be terribly fast growers, but I have a feeling the one down in town is about to really bust out this year.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 11:49:30 AM »
I don't think it's worth the trouble if you are in SoCal.

1 take up too much space
2 Mexico imported jackfruit is $0.30/lb when on sale. It's regularly $0.79/lb

I would grow one if I have alot of space for childhood nostalgia. One of my neighbor just got rid a big jackfruit 20 ft tall and producing a few fruits. My two friends also tried digging out two jack fruit from someone and they both died. Jackfruit has a very long taproot.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:24 PM »
the cheena i got last year looks fine outside, but winter isn't over yet.  i'm in glendale right next to atwater village so my temps are a bit more mild than sun valley.  besides temps, another factor to consider is adequate moisture.  typically during colder weather it's safer to keep tropical plants on the drier side.  with something like jackfruit though i think it's happier being kept relatively moist.  all my seedlings are in small plastic pots with elevated drainage holes.  last year i put 2 jackfruit seedlings in 3 gallon pots with normal drainage holes.  i also put 2 seedlings in 3 gallon pots with elevated drainage holes.  i gave one of each to a couple friends.  one friend recently told me that the seedling in the normal pot didn't make it.  i haven't checked with my other friend yet.  in any case the sample size is too small to be really meaningful.