Author Topic: Peru and the Amazon Bucket list species  (Read 660 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Peru and the Amazon Bucket list species
« on: April 10, 2022, 06:04:38 PM »
The time is finally here, and I am heading into the Amazon for two weeks to explore nature and hunt for fruit. I am a science teacher and have been wanting to take this trip since I have become addicted to all things Fruit! My main goal is to find and taste Duguetia and Annona not offered in the US and Lucuma to grow back in the SoCal. What else should I look for? What would be on your bucket list to try?
I have guides for 6 days in Iquitos and the Pacaya-Samira reserve, and then 5 days near Lake Sandoval in Tambopata reserve.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
Re: Peru and the Amazon Bucket list species
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
Definitely seek Annona Cornifolia. Acquire it, picture it, taste it and bag the seeds! Let us know the review and pictures. Have a great adventure.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 07:56:55 PM »
Great stuff!

Very excited for you-

I would mention it is quite easy to get a permit to carry the seeds back with you before you go if you want to have no risk bringing the seeds you find back with you!

Bring some little baggies for the recalcitrant stuff as well!

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 10:12:54 PM »
That's so cool. I am growing a lucuma but im not sure which type it is. Try to find the moist type if its in season.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 02:20:25 PM »
Great stuff!

Very excited for you-

I would mention it is quite easy to get a permit to carry the seeds back with you before you go if you want to have no risk bringing the seeds you find back with you!

Bring some little baggies for the recalcitrant stuff as well!

If you are referring to small seed lot permit, seeds have to be mailed to inspection station, not carried with you. Ive wondered about this, is there a different permit that allows you to carry on the plane?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 03:27:37 PM »
If you are referring to small seed lot permit, seeds have to be mailed to inspection station, not carried with you. Ive wondered about this, is there a different permit that allows you to carry on the plane?

Has the US Ag Dept. (A.P.H.I.S.) started requiring cleaned seeds to require a permit?  How long has that been going on?

Last I knew dry seeds cleaned of all pulp & fiber were allowed entry w/o a permit.  But what do I know??

Paul M.
==