Author Topic: Poncirus perfect flowers vs. staminate flowers  (Read 726 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Poncirus perfect flowers vs. staminate flowers
« on: April 15, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
In past experience I noticed that the first flowers on Poncirus and Poncirus hybrid seedlings tend to be skewed towards staminate flowers, rather than perfect flowers. This is quite evident in 6 trees blooming for the first time this Spring.

However, as I'm presently pollinating about a hundred Poncirus flowers with Meyer lemon pollen it's very apparent there's a pattern to the distribution of perfect and staminate flowers on mature Poncirus. On each flowering twig the first 3, or so flowers at the outer end of the twig are perfect (having both anthers and pistils). The remaining flowers farther back on the twig are almost all staminate (anthers only).

Additionally, the flowers in the intermediate position often show partially developed pistils.
Although I was aware of the two types of flowers previously, I never noticed that the flower position had such a profound influence on the development of flower type. I'm curious if this applies to other Citrus types.

Staminate flower on the right with anthers about a day before dehiscence. Pistil is undeveloped and non-functional. The flower on the left is perfect (complete).

Perfect flower showing prominent pistil, as well as anthers.

It's probably unnecessary to mention that flowers without pistils can provide pollen, but have no chance of developing into fruit themselves.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:05:04 PM by kumin »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Poncirus perfect flowers vs. staminate flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:57:15 PM »
A lot, actually most of my poncirus flower buds froze off this spring thanks to a warm winter followed by a fabulous two days of 14 degrees F in mid March. Anyway, I was outside today trying to extract pollen from the few flowers that are showing up. I noticed that some flowers only have stunted stamens inside and some only have pistils. A few had perfect flowers with nice yellow pollen on stamens.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
The very first flowers produced by a young tree can easily be missed, as they appear to be in a transitional state from vegetative buds to flower buds. These transitional flowers may lack petals in the most extreme cases. Slightly more developed flowers will show undersized petals and lack pistils. The next stage will show normal, perfect flowers.

One flower showing partial petal development, but no pistil. The smaller flower has little petal development and no pistil development.

Very small flower with minimal petal and no pistil development.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 03:16:13 PM by kumin »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 03:58:14 PM »
Kumin, how old is the tree in the above picture?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »
The first 2 photos are of an 8-9 yr old Poncirus tree. The other 2 photos are of exactly 4 year old Conestoga segentrange trees (F² C35 Citrange).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 04:58:41 AM by kumin »