Author Topic: How do you protect your fruit from critters  (Read 850 times)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
How do you protect your fruit from critters
« on: April 28, 2022, 01:43:41 PM »
Two seasons ago, my parents young longan was completely stripped of it fruit by something.  Last year, they ended up picking they’re fruit a little early so, somewhat less sweet that it could have been.  This year they asked me to build something to protect the fruit.  Here is the tree as it looks now. 

It’s doable now but it will probably outgrow it by next year.  Any suggestions to protect from critters or is it just do what I can for now and eventually the tree will grow big enough for everyone and everything?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: How do you protect your fruit from critters
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
You can buy fruit bags that cover the fruits.  Ebay has nice ones.  Or you can get inect netting bags that are 10x10ft and will cover the entire tree and keepmbugs and animals off them.  If you want me to dig up the links for either of those let me know and I will.

Also, it helps to know whats getting the fruit.  Was it birds or squirrels or rats or ?  That cannhelp you decide what tomdo next.
Brad Spaugh

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
This is my parents tree in So. Cal and we’re just visiting.  They suspect raccoons but they really don’t know.  Just one night, they were all gone.  Do you think the bird netting or even the bags will slow down a raccoon?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 06:12:43 PM »
Bird netting wont but they sell white fabric bags that cover the entire tree.  That should stop it.

You could also trap the racoon and kill it or relocate it.
Brad Spaugh

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 07:11:03 PM »
It was a family of possums for me.  They stripped my Grimal jaboticaba of most of it's fruits.  The only reason I know they were possums was because one of my rat traps caught a baby. 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »
Strategically placed motion activated sprinklers and motion activated flood lights can help to deter possums and raccoons. Was able to repel a raccoon that liked relieving itself in our pool years ago using just lights, but sprinklers make the experience more immersive and fun to watch. Caught myself with them a few times as well.

A cheap security cam or trail cam can help to id the culprit.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 11:30:48 AM »
So I ended up getting the biggest bag I could find and it still wasn’t big enough.  7’ x 6’.  I covered the rest with bird netting.  We’ll see how it goes. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 01:31:40 PM »
I just use the Organza jewelry bags now. Couldn't get any fruit without bird damage / taking it altogether so that's what I've resorted to. The pressure really goes down when they have migrated past me and then I don't need to worry about it as much.

If there are really bad pest squirrels or raccoons I will kill them.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 01:47:23 PM »
Motion activated sprinkler helped with raccoons. Also soaked me a few times. Lots of fun.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 01:48:18 PM »
Motion activated sprinkler helped with raccoons. Also soaked me a few times. Lots of fun.

Those work awesome for my deer problems, I must admit.