Author Topic: Picking Sugarloaf (E-4) Mango  (Read 1490 times)

alnpat

• USA, FL/Central, Kissimmee, 9b
    • View Profile
Picking Sugarloaf (E-4) Mango
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:57:42 PM »
How is the flavor profile different picking Sugarloaf mature green and letting it ripen verses picking ripe and how so?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Sugarloaf (E-4) Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 07:10:23 AM »
Wow! I would think somebody would have some insight into this. At least a couple Seasons worth of experience. Do you treat it like Malika and at first sign of yellow pick and put on your counter for ripening? I'll have my first crop of E-4 in July and I would like to know know. Help help! 🙂
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 08:22:56 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 09:31:51 AM »
Wow! I would think somebody would have some insight into this. At least a couple Seasons worth of experience. Do you treat it like Malika and at first sign of yellow pick and put on your counter for ripening? I'll have my first crop of E-4 in July and I would like to know know. Help help! 🙂
How many did you get this year?  And how old is your tree? ??? ???
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 04:23:33 PM »
It’s very difficult to pick E4, at least for me.

I don’t know how anyone can tell if it’s mature green or fully ripe unless they pay attention to the hang time or notice that the fruit is not getting any bigger.

At my house, I have to gently Palm the fruit in my hand and if it falls off, it’s tree ripened. In other n SoCal however and our trees are shorter and hang on the tree for a long time before they’re ripe.

Last year, my E4s didn’t really fatten up on the shoulders or the nose end and our fruit hangs on the tree so long that the stem which attaches the fruit to the panicle is often brown but not always, so that’s not a definitive indicator of ripeness.

I’ve eaten many E4s that were picked much too early by accident and the quality was very poor. Some of the fruit were rubbery and pale inside. Others were just not sweet and lacked flavor as you would expect from fruit picked very under ripe.

This underscores the difficulty of picking this variety.

On the other hand, if you get a truely tree ripened or picked at the appropriate stage E4, it is one of the best tasting mangos available.

I very much dislike fiber in my mangoes but this is the one exception I will make.

When E4 is pick about 80-90% of fully tree ripened, I’m just approximating, it is sweet and has a nice balance of pineapple like tartness and sweetness. It is a great mango at this stage of ripeness but lacks the additional sweetness and flavor nuances that would otherwise kick it to the next level.

When E4 is eaten at 100% of optimal ripeness, it is very sweet with just a hint of perfectly balanced pineapple like acidity and the aroma of candied coconut, think coconut life savers or a sweet Pina Colada mixer. You get this aroma up front through your nose and also in the back of your throat as you eat it. You will notice some fiber but most people are still in the afterglow of the foodgasm they just experienced.  Most people roll their eyes in disbelief or simply say out loud “oh my god” at this point. That’s how you can tell your E4 was picked at a fully tree ripened stage.

Don’t ever let a rookie eat a properly ripened E4, or any other properly ripened Zill variety for that matter, lest you wish them question life itself.

I thank Mr. Laurence Zill for giving us Gary and Walter whom gave us all these new Zill variety mangos. I truly thank Walter and Gary for their extremely hard work and dedication to bring about these new mango varieties that were selected not for how long they can remain on a display case at the supermarket but for the sublime taste these varieties offer.

Simon

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
Do these typically ripen in July in FL, with an earlier spring crop?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
They normally come around in July in prior years.  Here's a video from the man himself describing when to pick them:  https://business.facebook.com/156138551093407/videos/428600865243617/

I've had some truly excellent Sugarloaf, and others were just average.  They do seem finicky to pick, but when you get a good one, it tastes like a virgin pina colada.

BTW, if anyone has any Malika mangos in the South Florida area, please send me a pm.  I'd like to try the fruit before grafting onto my trees.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »
How many did you get this year?  And how old is your tree? ??? ???

I believe this is its third season in the ground. I have a feeling that the advice from down in Wilmington would be to prune them off but I don't think so. Before anyone says anything about my micro sprinkler being too close to the trunk of the tree I plan on putting my growth tubes to good use

For the last couple of seasons Peak mango season in South Florida has been the third week in June and I hope it is again this season. In Central Florida we run 3 to 4 weeks behind. So it's more of a July August events

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 08:53:36 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »
In this thread Alex and Rob made some comments on flavor related to harvest time:

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23441.msg326874#msg326874

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 01:58:14 PM »
The few I picked last year were not difficult as the color changed from solid green to having a mild yellow-green blush, similar to Carrie. It may be that I got lucky with the few I picked and the majority stay solid green but keep an eye out for a slight color change. I had a harder time picking Peach Cobbler and M-4.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 05:14:28 PM »
The few I picked last year were not difficult as the color changed from solid green to having a mild yellow-green blush, similar to Carrie. It may be that I got lucky with the few I picked and the majority stay solid green but keep an eye out for a slight color change. I had a harder time picking Peach Cobbler and M-4.

Agreed - the best ones I had last year had a mild yellow blush.  That could be the trick!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »

Agreed - the best ones I had last year had a mild yellow blush.  That could be the trick!
Sounds fairly simple and straightforward.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk