Author Topic: Ideas on where could I find seeded Kishu mandarin  (Read 998 times)

Melenduwir

• US, Pennsylvania, State College, 5b/6a
    • View Profile
Ideas on where could I find seeded Kishu mandarin
« on: May 06, 2022, 03:53:52 PM »
I was aware that Clementines are zygotic, and plentiful at certain times of the year, so I intend to extract seeds from grocery-purchased fruits when winter comes again.  But Clementines are known to have a certain amount of pomelo admixture, and most of the 'pure' species mandarins are mostly or entirely nucellar.

Then I learned that Kishu mandarins entirely zygotic, and I became very excited!

Then I discovered that every strain of Kishu that had crossed the Pacific from Japan that I could locate was an entirely seedless strain, probably genetically damaged.  So, as tasty as they may be, they're useless for my purposes.

Does anyone know where I could acquire seeds or budwood for the traditional Japanese strains of Kishu?  I understand that the Japanese prefer citrus with seeds as a symbol of fertility and vitality.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on where could I find seeded Kishu mandarin
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 09:03:38 PM »
I wasn't aware there was a seeded kishu type, and I don't believe I've ever seen it listed for sale, unfortunately. 

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »
Kishu will have some seeds in it, if it is pollinated by a different citrus variety. Maybe out of three fruits, one of them might have one or two seeds in it.

mysteryknight

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 02:15:36 PM »
They were at Walter Anderson in Poway, CA about a month ago. Call to see if they have any more.

James