Author Topic: Siting Yuzu and Bloomsweet  (Read 842 times)

ahosey01

• Wickenburg, AZ, 9a
    • View Profile
Siting Yuzu and Bloomsweet
« on: May 16, 2022, 11:59:09 AM »
I have a Yuzu and a Bloomsweet from Madison Citrus Nursery that are both very small.  I am wondering where to site them on my property.  I'm in a mid-elevation desert in Arizona in zone 9a.  We can get very hot during the day - sometimes, though rarely, 115F - but at night it always cools down (highly unlike Phoenix, which stays hot).  Even in the dead of summer it is still hoodie weather in the mornings for us up here.

I have two places I can plant these, but I was hoping one of them could go in a little mini fruit planting I have.  This area is against a south-southeast facing wall, and gets full (reflected) sun until about noon during the summer.  The wall also has the added bonus of shielding the trunks of these trees from the western afternoon sun after around 1:00 or 2:00.  I have a Golden Dorsett apple, an Ana apple, two Wonderful pomegranates and a Minneola tangelo all growing against that wall, and all are doing wonderful.  The soil is really good, I mulch heavily and apply lots of water.

So - to those with experience with these fruits - can I site them in this spot?  The wall will reflect heat through the morning and early afternoon, but not western heat.  It will be full sun.  I have great soil, I mulch a ton and I provide lots of water.  I would also, likely, use a shade cloth for the first two growing seasons in this spot while the plants get established.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

So

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Siting Yuzu and Bloomsweet
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
I would be inclined to plant them in the open and paint the trunks white.  Citrus need lots of sun to produce fruit.  A reflective wall would hit the trees with reflected light while getting light from head on.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 01:09:05 AM »
Hey ahosey01, I live in Scottsdale AZ and I am a citrus/fruit tree enthusiast.  If you are ever looking to graft I have a few unique varieties and over next couple of years, should be getting fruit, seeds if you want any.
Very jealous to hear about your evenings, lol.

ahosey01

• Wickenburg, AZ, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 09:24:09 AM »
Hey ahosey01, I live in Scottsdale AZ and I am a citrus/fruit tree enthusiast.  If you are ever looking to graft I have a few unique varieties and over next couple of years, should be getting fruit, seeds if you want any.
Very jealous to hear about your evenings, lol.

Sent you a message!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:59:29 PM »
I am thinking any plant planted in the hot desert will prefer being planted in an area that is just a little bit shady, especially an area that gets a little bit of shade during the hottest part of the day, 12:00 to 3:00 pm.

Yuzu and Bloomsweet should do just fine in zone 9. I think the heat might be what you have to worry about more than the cold, in this case.

In zone 8, it is a completely different matter.