Author Topic: when to pick Chandler pummelo?  (Read 2380 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: when to pick Chandler pummelo?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »
My Valentine pummelo right next to it gets good pink-lycopene coloration, though.  Only the purple-anthocyan fruits are weakly colored for me

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
My last of 3 Chandlerfruits looks nice, but I still want to let it ripe a few days more to get maximum taste. Do you know if there is a risk that the fruit gets dry if the fruit hangs too long ?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
I'm not sure, I haven't had a pummelo crop large enough yet to have any left over, I eat them as fast as they ripen.  Somebody else may know, though.

this reminds me I'm still looking for a "real Chandler", nobody has it in stock yet though. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »
I have not seen them dry much, but quickly deteriorate, especially after falling from the tree.    After falling from the tree the fruit will quickly become soft and  start to decay.  The pummelo that I have seem perfectly fine to eat when quickly picked up after they fall from the tree. The best time is to pick them (especially grapefruit) when a slightest twist easily removes them from the tree.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 01:00:14 PM by Millet »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
Thanks Brian and Millet, good to know not to get a dry fruit by hanging too long, so I still let the sun do their work. Nevertheless it s hard to let it hang, but I' m really curious to fully ripe flavour ? I will report then 😅

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 01:27:37 PM »
Today during the visit of my daughter the curiosity was to great, so I had to harvest the last fruit. The taste we found very pleasant and sufficent juicy and sweet. Still very light bitterness. Next year I try to wait still a little bit longer  ;) to see if taste still changes. But overall Pomelo in Germany is great  8).
Regards Frank

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
Fortunately, my Chandler died due to winter storm Uri.  My Bloomsweet and Ruby Red grapefruits nearby all developed wonderful flavor, but the Chandler always tasted flat to bad even when picked all yellow.  And when I let it hang until Feb or Match it got dry and really bad.  Never could figure when the best time to harvest the fruit was because early or late it was less than satisfactory.
Clearly I was doing something wrong.

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
The rootstock your Chandler is on can make a big difference in fruit quality.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk