Author Topic: Pink splotches on young cacao leaves  (Read 368 times)

Yuko

• US
    • View Profile
Pink splotches on young cacao leaves
« on: July 22, 2022, 10:38:18 PM »
The new growth of a young cacao is mottled intensely. I wrote this off as excess pigmentation, however, its sibling cacao lack these markings. I wonder now if it may be a fungal issue.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would quite appreciate it...!

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Pink splotches on young cacao leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 10:45:18 PM »
So, I haven't seen these on my cacao, but a couple questions - how big are the plants, how many leaves?
What is their culture? Planting medium, sun exposure, inside or in a tent etc? Other plants affected?

Cheers, Carolyn

Yuko

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 11:02:05 PM »
So, I haven't seen these on my cacao, but a couple questions - how big are the plants, how many leaves?
What is their culture? Planting medium, sun exposure, inside or in a tent etc? Other plants affected?

Cheers, Carolyn

The plants are very young, at only a year of age. They are indoors, with about three hours of direct sun through the window, and planted in a mix I use for Citrus. Due to my previously lax care, they suffered a difficult winter and briefly defoliated. I have made sure to keep them quite humid and well watered since then, and they seem to have well recovered. All other plants are unaffected, and this plant's older leaves demonstrate no sign of these spots. It could be new? I'm not sure, but I'd rather it didn't get worse if it is a disease... I separated it from its sibling cacao for now.
Thank you very much.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 09:09:18 AM »
Almost all of the time, the problem is cultural, not a disease.  They definitely need more light. Light through a window isn't enough. Mine like a four ft, four bulb led shop light. The more they can photosynthesize, the better they can recover from stress.  Also, if it IS a disease, you can remove the affected leaves and see if that takes care of the problem.  That was why I was asking how many leaves they had.

Good luck!

Yuko

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 12:11:13 PM »
Almost all of the time, the problem is cultural, not a disease.  They definitely need more light. Light through a window isn't enough. Mine like a four ft, four bulb led shop light. The more they can photosynthesize, the better they can recover from stress.  Also, if it IS a disease, you can remove the affected leaves and see if that takes care of the problem.  That was why I was asking how many leaves they had.

Good luck!

Okay, thank you, sounds smart! I have no shortage of bulbs at least, but was nervous they might be too intense. I will see what I can do!