Author Topic: Banana plants for sale in Southern California  (Read 4730 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Banana plants for sale in Southern California
« on: June 05, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »
Hi all, I grow the following bananas.  All heights listed are the height of the Pseudostem i.e. "trunk" at fruiting height. By propping I mean that certain varieties when fruiting become top heavy and will fall over. To prevent this they need to be propped up.  The true value here is that you are actually getting the variety you pay for.  Many, many bananas sold online and at nurseries are mislabeled.

2-5 gallon plants are $35 and about 3 feet tall total height excluding pot.  Paggi, Red Iholene and Dwarf Red cost $45.
15 gallon plants are $50 and 5 feet or taller, total height excluding pot.  Paggi, Red Iholene and Dwarf Red cost $60.

Currently available for sale I have Dwarf Brazilian in 3 gallon and 15 gallon and Paggi in 3 gallon.

Dwarf Brazilian - Beautiful plant, grows to 9-10' tall, nice wide dark green leaves, produces large bunches of delicious fruit. This is a Hawaiian variety. In Hawaii it is called an Apple Banana. THIS IS A MUST HAVE! If you only grow one banana, this is it! Never needs propping.

Brazilian - I am 99% positive of the correct ID on this variety. It grows to 11-14' tall and is a beast of a plant! It produces huge bunches of bananas that are slightly larger than Dwarf Brazilian and in my opinion taste a little better. The plant usually doesn't need propping.

Gold Finger - Excellent banana, grows to about 8-9', large fruit. It is a cross between Dwarf Brazilian and Gran Nain (the bananas you buy in the store i.e. Chiquita bananas). It tastes similar to Dwarf Brazilian but it produces more bananas that are slightly larger.  Most of the time it doesn't need propping.

Mysore -  Very vigorous, monster of a banana plant. The plant is beautiful with reddish purple coloring in the trunk, and the underside of the leaf. Produces huge bunches of very sweet flavorful bananas. Widely grown in India and one of the favorite dessert bananas there. Very ornamental and a good producer of quality bananas. Grows to 13-14' tall. Requires propping.

Blue Java AKA Ice Cream - This is the real Ice Cream banana. Most bananas sold as Ice Cream aren't the real thing. What makes this banana unique is it's light and fluffy texture with a slight vanilla taste. The fruit ripens to a blue, silver color with light green leaves on the plant. Grows to 12-13' tall. This is a Hawaiian variety. It requires propping. Call or text for pricing on this rare variety.

Dwarf Namwa - Produces 200-300 of the sweetest bananas you have ever tasted! Fruit flesh is dense and light orange colored. This banana is from Thailand.  Does not require propping. Grows to 7-9' tall.

Red Iholene - One of the most beautiful banana plants due to its attractive coloring of red and purple on the trunk and under sides of the leaves. The pink fleshed bananas are delicious fresh or cooked and is a favorite Hawaiian variety. Very beautiful plant but it is cold sensitive.  It grows to 12'.  This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Gros Michel - The original store bought banana! Up until the 1950's this was the most popular banana sold in the world. Most of the plants were killed by disease and the banana industry switched to a new variety. The Gros Michel is a little larger and MUCH better tasting than the bananas sold in stores today. Grows to 12', requires propping.

California Gold - What makes this banana special is it's cold tolerance. It is reported to be the most cold hardy fruiting banana. Excellent for colder areas where bananas usually can't grow. This banana is very good eaten fresh and amazing when cooked as a plantain.  It grows to 8' tall and does not require propping.

Dwarf Red - Very beautiful short plant that is sensitive to cold. Only Gros Michel is more cold sensitive. The plant has red coloring to Pseudostem and fruit. If you live close to the coast I highly recommend this variety. It is a beautiful plant, with beautiful fruit that tastes great and doesn't need to be propped. These are the red bananas you can buy in the store. It grows very slow. Grows to only 7-8' tall. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Paggi - Not much is know about this variety. It is believed to be related to Gros Michel. Many that have tried it say it is the best tasting banana they have ever had. I believe it grows to about 12 feet. Limited availability. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Bill

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:55:37 PM by BestDay »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Banana plants for sale in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 08:41:21 PM »
I have several of Bill’s bananas and highly recommend purchasing bananas from him.  I will be getting the Red Iholene once my husband builds my greenhouse.

Although the Dwarf Red and Gros Michel are cold sensitive, I planted out both in open ground at our farm in Fallbrook without any protection.  We had frost this winter as well as a freak hail storm and crazy winds and both are growing fine.  The main culm on the dwarf red died back, but it has grown 3 pups to replace it.  My bananas had only been in the ground for a few months, so I think they will only get stronger as plants have more time to establish.

I have the Paggi growing in a container on my deck at home.  I want to be able to keep an eye on it.  Here is a pic of its beautiful new growth.

Thanks for making these available.

Janet

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 02:03:20 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Janet. It was nice to meet you and your husband. I’m glad to hear your banana plants are doing well. Dwarf Red is cold sensitive. It usually partially or fully dies back for me during winter also. This year we had a mild winter in Long Beach. My largest Pseudostem is about to flower. I’m looking forward to the fruit.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 05:13:04 PM »
availability updated.

Bill

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
If you can ship id gladly buy potless plants. Ill take the blue java and can ship you isan indigo or isan gefner crosses both in 3 gallon pots. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 06:59:07 PM by Thematt829 »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 11:48:33 AM »
I’m sorry, but I normally don’t ship plants. It is too much work. I normally sell all my plants locally.

Bill

Thematt829

• Metairie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 03:57:20 PM »
Understood thanks for your time. They look amazing

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 10:19:23 PM »
Where are you located?  I am near Ventura/LA County border

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 02:11:50 AM »
Hi, I am in Long Beach. Right by the 405/605 interchange.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »
Availability updated.  I now have available Dwarf Brazilian in a 3 gallon for $35, Dwarf Brazilian in a 15 gallon for $60 (very large plant)  and Paggi in a 3 gallon for $45.

Thanks,
Bill

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
Bill,

What a coincidence you posted today.  I was trying to research the variegated dwarf namwah and saw your post on bananas.org.  Has it fruited for you yet?  Sorry to get off topic, but not much info available about the fruit, so any experience you have to share is appreciated.

I transplanted Paggi into a larger container last week.  Besides the reputation for great fruit quality, it's a really ornamental plant.  The pseudostem is turning beautiful shades of pink and coral. 

Janet

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »
Hi Janet, It is a beautiful plant.  Here are some pictures of it before I over watered it and gave it root rot.  I will say that it is the easiest of the variegated bananas to grow but it still doesn't like my clay soil and overwatering. 

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and experience.  I would grow it just for its beauty, but hoping it also produces tasty fruit. 

Janet

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »
Very cool-looking banana plant Bill. I would like to grow one just for the ornamental value.

Johnny

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »
Johnny - I've had AE AE.  With our climate, it is very difficult to keeps the leaves happy.  Hopefully, there are better cultivars for us.

nagi

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 05:55:26 PM »
I would like a 2 to 5 gallon dwarf Brazilian please. Also, do you know when you will have Mysore and Namwah available? thank you! I have not been on this website in years so please let me know what I need to do. thanks

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 02:50:33 AM »
Hi Johnny, those pictures are of Variegated Dwarf Namwa. It is much easier to grow than AeAe.

Nagi, send me a private message. I have some Dwarf Brazilian available now. It is a great plant and fruit. It is a winner for sure.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
I can no longer edit the original post so I will update availability here. I now have available Dwarf Brazilian, Blue Java and Goldfinger.

Bill

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »
Bill - Joe here from HB.  I got a grafted lychee from you.

Do you have anymore Paggi's (variegated dwarf namwah)?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 01:21:10 AM »
Sorry for the slow response. I won’t have anymore Paggi available until the spring. I sent you a text message regarding the Variegated Dwarf Namwa. It is a beautiful plant.

Bill

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
How long does the dwarf brazilian take to flower?  I have had two for 2 years now and they are both about 5' tall pseudotrunk.  One has two pups coming and neither have had any sign of flowering.  They are in 20 gallon containers.

If you still have some of the 5 gallon banana varieties I can pick them up easily enough.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
just.jim

My Dwarf Brazilian in the ground for a year, grown from a pup is already fruiting.  Do you feed your plants?

Janet

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 02:09:00 PM »
Justjim, they should have flowered already. To try and fruit them in a container, I would recommend a 25 gallon size as a MINIMUM. 45 would be much better. Also bananas need a lot of fertilizer. They grow fast and need nutrients to feed the growth.

I still have Blue Java, Goldfinger and Dwarf Brazilian available in 3-5 gallon pots.

Bill

just.jim

• Thousand Oaks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 04:24:00 PM »
Justjim, they should have flowered already. To try and fruit them in a container, I would recommend a 25 gallon size as a MINIMUM. 45 would be much better. Also bananas need a lot of fertilizer. They grow fast and need nutrients to feed the growth.

I still have Blue Java, Goldfinger and Dwarf Brazilian available in 3-5 gallon pots.

Bill
just.jim

My Dwarf Brazilian in the ground for a year, grown from a pup is already fruiting.  Do you feed your plants?

Janet

I've been using osmocote.  Is there something better??  So disappointed in no progress.

I'd be interested in those banana plants for sure.   I can get down that way weekdays during the day

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 01:01:41 AM »
They need a bigger pot and more fertilizer. It’s that simple. Pm me and we can work out a time for you to come by.

Bill