Author Topic: Yuzu coming back from stump  (Read 604 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Yuzu coming back from stump
« on: June 10, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »
This is a seedling that survived 2021 mild winter in zone 7a without any protection grew well and developed a thick trunk but died to the ground this year after 6f.

I was cutting dead / rotting trunk that was freeze damaged until only a small stump was left. It's now growing buds on the stump!

I have mature Yuzu in a container now so this plant is not worth protecting as it is a seedling, but thought I would report on this finding. If this was a mature Yuzu on its own roots I'd probably try to protect it.

vnomonee

• View Profile
Re: Yuzu coming back from stump
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »
The plant sometime in September 2021

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 09:17:04 PM »
Very nice!  I assume that being right next to a wall helps keep the heat a bit. 

I have yuzu now but it will stay in my greenhouse in winter.  It gets below 0F regularly in zone6

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 11:10:45 PM »
the wall definitely releases heat, as you can see where the snow melts. the yuzu survived the winter when this photo was taken, I believe the low was 11f. I had to see for myself what it's capable of but was hoping to have gotten lucky with a hardier than usual seedling... alas it was not meant to be lol

my tai-tri and citrumelo also against that wall made it through just fine last two winters