Author Topic: OFF-TOPIC: How/Can you kill Mosquito Larvae in water for your plants?  (Read 2114 times)

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: OFF-TOPIC: How/Can you kill Mosquito Larvae in water for your plants?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2022, 08:26:54 AM »
I use my rainwater barrels as mosquito traps. I just water with the larva in the water. I figure they are extra fertilizer. When the barrel is mostly used up I just dump the whole thing. No more mosquitos. Periodically I go looking for anything that has standing water and dump it. If you put apple cider vinegar in your water, your sweat will repel mosquitos. D

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2022, 03:00:09 PM »
If you put apple cider vinegar in your water, your sweat will repel mosquitos. D

Some folks (who have the right sort of metabolism) get a similar result by taking debittered brewers yeast, about a teaspoon per day.  (It's still bitter so I stir mine into some OJ in the morning.) It is supposed to make your blood taste bad to the mozzies.  It seems to work quite well for me, so it may be worth a try for others who seem to be skeeter delicatessens to see if it works for you.

PS - Please do not confuse this with Bakers Yeast which is a live organism and you may be sorry if you do.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
Bat houses and mosquito dunks.  I have dunks but haven't used them as the bats keep the mozzie population down. I have heard that beautyberry leaves rubbed on the skin repels them, but I haven't tried that. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk