Author Topic: Wanted: Green Sapote Seeds and/or trees/seedlings  (Read 1878 times)

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
Wanted: Green Sapote Seeds and/or trees/seedlings
« on: June 11, 2022, 07:05:55 PM »
I am looking for green sapote seeds and/or seedlings.
I am located in Southern California.
Working on creating my own fruit forest and hope someone can help me find these!

Thank you!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Green Sapote Seeds and/or trees/seedlings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »
Lara Farms sells grafted varieties.  They sell out, but update their inventory regularly.

Janet

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 07:16:34 PM »
Yeah I just got one from them and it arrived in great shape

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 07:22:14 PM »
Yeah I just got one from them and it arrived in great shape

Thank you. Do you know what the rootstock is? Needs to be able to tolerate the cooler desert california climate we experience at times

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:27:39 PM »
Not sure, you may have to ask them.  I would guess mamey or green sapote as rootstock but only a guess.  If you find out please let me know :)

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 12:49:19 AM »
Not sure, you may have to ask them.  I would guess mamey or green sapote as rootstock but only a guess.  If you find out please let me know :)

I found out from them it is grown on Mamey.
Tempers my interest as I think the Mamey may be less cold tolerant than the Green Sapote itself---this video from the Bay area shows the comparison between the mamey and the green sapote as rootstock: https://youtu.be/kVv9I_Se6fg?t=1190

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 01:22:38 AM »
Thanks for reporting back!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 09:18:50 AM »
Yeah you definitely Want green on  green or green seedlings. I know Papaya tree nursery very occasionally has Grafted green on green.  Well worth the drive. Alex does an amazing job with all of his plants, but they are on the higher end of the price spectrum. With the cost of seedlings people are charging these days it makes it even more worth it.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 01:50:43 PM »
Yeah you definitely Want green on  green or green seedlings. I know Papaya tree nursery very occasionally has Grafted green on green.  Well worth the drive. Alex does an amazing job with all of his plants, but they are on the higher end of the price spectrum. With the cost of seedlings people are charging these days it makes it even more worth it.

Thank you! I spoke with Alex and unfortunately he said the demand was so low that he didn't plan to sell them anymore, or something to that extent. Bummer!

Seems like I may need to buy a mame/green graft, then do a second graft onto a green seedling for the green/green combo haha

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 02:22:05 AM »
I have seedlings for 100$

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 12:28:04 PM »

This thread makes me optimistic about growing green sapote in the bay area...even green sapote grafted onto mamey:

https://growingfruit.org/t/green-sapote-a-great-fruit-for-northern-california/15742

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 05:18:00 PM »

This thread makes me optimistic about growing green sapote in the bay area...even green sapote grafted onto mamey:

https://growingfruit.org/t/green-sapote-a-great-fruit-for-northern-california/15742

That post is really optimistic and I hope it holds true --- however, the poster, Joe Hewitt I believe, has an update on his YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/kVv9I_Se6fg?t=1184

In it, he shares how his grafted one DID NOT thrive, unlike the seedling, and shows the difference :(
I've tried to reach out to him but haven't heard back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVv9I_Se6fg

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »

That post is really optimistic and I hope it holds true --- however, the poster, Joe Hewitt I believe, has an update on his YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/kVv9I_Se6fg?t=1184

In it, he shares how his grafted one DID NOT thrive, unlike the seedling, and shows the difference :(

I had a Fairchild green on Mamey. It’s dead now. I was growing it in 9b corona California. Never again will I get green on mamey. I can’t imagine growing mamey in northern Cali. Greens on the other hand, are growing in full sun in ground, and look pretty decent and went in ground as small seedlings.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 06:44:45 PM »
I have planted about 20 greens and a grafted green on green, they loveeee it at my orchard (Zone 9b, Santa Cruz).  I planted a small 1g seedling in the ground before winter and it had no issues.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

yimnvs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 06:54:19 PM »

I had a Fairchild green on Mamey. It’s dead now. I was growing it in 9b corona California. Never again will I get green on mamey. I can’t imagine growing mamey in northern Cali. Greens on the other hand, are growing in full sun in ground, and look pretty decent and went in ground as small seedlings.

Good to know. I got three green sapote seedlings that sprouted this Spring and I am planning to put them in ground probably by end of summer. I guess I will put my grafted green Sapote on Mamey that I just ordered from Lara farms in a pot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:56:17 PM by yimnvs »

yimnvs

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 06:55:23 PM »
I have planted about 20 greens and a grafted green on green, they loveeee it at my orchard (Zone 9b, Santa Cruz).  I planted a small 1g seedling in the ground before winter and it had no issues.

Awesome, I will be doing the same

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 07:28:06 PM »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:59:21 PM by sc4001992 »

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 07:34:46 PM »
kinda bummed that my green sapote from Lara Farms was grafted on mamey, i was planning to plant in ground. Oh well

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 08:54:30 PM »
I have a makawao grafted onto Mamey in ground in So Cal. This is the third year it has flowered but has not held fruit yet. It defoliates each winter but bounces back with very little die back however I would much rather have it on green sapote rootstock.

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »
Pouteria_fan, I may be selling my seedling green sapote at the end of the year if it doesn't fruit. I had the seedling tree in ground for over 7yrs, grows well but not to tall and only one main trunk straight up (7-8 ft tall). If I don't graft a named variety on this tree then I will probably dig it up and sell it. Probably didn't help that I planted it under my large Lychee tree and also in the shade.

Here's a few photos.

I am interested. Fullerton isn't too far away.
Photos didn't come through though, could you send me a message?

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2022, 11:29:15 AM »

Good to know. I got three green sapote seedlings that sprouted this Spring and I am planning to put them in ground probably by end of summer. I guess I will put my grafted green Sapote on Mamey that I just ordered from Lara farms in a pot.

Any plans to sell some green on greens?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2022, 07:54:02 PM »
Ok, my green sapote is not for sale, already taken/reserved for purchase now.
Sorry Pouteria_fan.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2022, 10:01:09 PM »
I have some green sapote seedlings that I was saving to graft and then plant. My two grafted green sapote are currently on Mamey. I hope to have a couple to offer for sale at a good price next spring after the seedlings go through one more year of growth and successfull grafting. Hopefully i can source more green sapote seeds but wow have these things been hard to find. I would highly suggest taking Brian up on his 100 seedling and I can sell scions next year.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 03:47:17 PM »
Pouteria_fan, I may be selling my seedling green sapote at the end of the year if it doesn't fruit. I had the seedling tree in ground for over 7yrs, grows well but not to tall and only one main trunk straight up (7-8 ft tall). If I don't graft a named variety on this tree then I will probably dig it up and sell it. Probably didn't help that I planted it under my large Lychee tree and also in the shade.

Here's a few photos.

Which tree is next to it with that large trunk?