Author Topic: Currently in Jamaica? Any questions? Need me to look for anything?  (Read 521 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
I’ve taken notice to the grass here, I’ve always wondered why it was so ever green as a kid and had so much beige boots throughout the grass fields, layouts. It’s a soft think strand grass. We use to calm it mountain grass when I was younger. Mango trees grow absolutely gigantic here, other trees we planted 5 years ago are at incredible heights. I came to Florida and took a great interests to dragon fruit( I have multiple varieties) and I think I found Hylocereus Tetragonus in one of my old backyards.

Annona is absolutely EVERYWHERE, soursop, custard apple and sweetsop. Sadly the trees are very, VERY old, and nobody is pruning them to get strong sugar apple branches, the custard apple tree in my old backyard is well over 18 years old, never had a fruit from it but my parents have.  didn’t see fruit or
flowers on it today, soursops seem to have been in season already but I still soursop flowers everywhere.

The sugar apples across Trelawny are in awful shape. I’ve seen probably over 30 trees today, all black small rotted fruit, very weak branches. Educated a fruit enthusiast about annona hybrids today. He never knew the three he had were related.

Star apple is definitely in season here, my Grandmas house and area has several trees probably 10 plus years old, filled to brim with over 100 fruit, maybe 300. Picked 6 or so due to the tree being incredibly tall and on a steep hill.

Young coconuts all over the place. Coconut trees in Florida are much taller and wider. (Not talking about dwarfs)

I’ve been looking for some real hardcore tropical fruit that’s hard to find in Florida, no luck so far. Quite disappointed as I took it for granted a kid and a lot of fruit trees that were here have cut down, especially species that get huge and take years to bear.

Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Currently in Jamaica? Any questions? Need me to look for anything?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 09:42:47 PM »
Ackee might be worth looking for, from what I've heard it's very common in Jamaica.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
I agree with Polypterus, you should find akee all over.  Also up in the mountains we encountered a lady by the roadside selling fruit.  We bought some purple caimitos from her and she also was selling water lemons (Passiflora laurifolia fruits) but we didn't know what they were at the time so did not buy any.

We were offered jackfruit to try and it was tasty and came off a huge tree, so that is there too.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 11:16:38 PM »
In Jamaica there was a scientist looking for A Annona
(I gave Him the link, & in info of the plane with Lasers In South America to find new species but He never replied)

Annona jamaicensis
https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/189297-Annona-jamaicensis

There was some herbal medicine place in the mountains (it was on First nations public Tv FNX or maybe Link TV. )
I wrote the place down but not sure where I put it -- I will check out my Notebook)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 11:30:07 PM »
I didn't know how safe it was tp travel or how far your willing to go

But have you thought about searching online for trelawny jamaica arboretum  a few listed
-- Martha Brae Rafting Village  (I saw this but looks more like a boat tour )

But always nice to contact the locals either way make some phone calls to these buisiness
you could ask the tour guides , and explain your into ecology or whatever
(note even making small talk with the grocer clerk can get results or even places unrelated to what your looking for.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk