Author Topic: Fallen Orange Sherbet Smells like Jasmine?  (Read 1103 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Fallen Orange Sherbet Smells like Jasmine?
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:14:22 PM »
It was windy with scattered rain this morning, causing some unripe fruits to drop.
One of them is from a mango tree labelled as Orange Sherbet that I got from Florida 2 years ago.
The tree arrived half dead, shippen bareroot and lost in mail for 5 weeks. It was also had bad anthracnose.
I lost hope but still nursed it. 2 years later it is a happy strong mango tree.
 I picked up the fallen mango and an overwhelming jasmine smell blew me away.
I don't have any jasmine plant in my yard. The OS mango tree is in ground next to a tomato, a suriname cherry, and a calamodine. But there is no bloom or flower at all on the calamodine now.
Is this a mislabelled Orange Sherbet?
My husband confirms that this mango smells really flowery too.
Other mangoes that are still hanging on the tree do not have a strong flowery smell though.
Pictures attached.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:19:21 PM by palingkecil »

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Orange Sherbet Smells like Jasmine?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 01:31:15 AM »
My OS looks like this, long with a pointy nose. Like the name it has an orange flavor to it. It should be ready to pick in a week or two.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 01:51:51 AM »
My OS looks like this, long with a pointy nose. Like the name it has an orange flavor to it. It should be ready to pick in a week or two.

Very nice looking tree!
Does your OS fruit have a pointy nose from a very small size?
My 'OS' fruits are now just a little bit bigger than the size of a chicken egg, and they don't have pointy nose.
I notice that your OS leaves look just regular mango leaves with no 'wavy' or 'curly' shape, but my 'OS' leaves are wavy/curly even when they are young.
This is the only mango tree in my yard that has wavy leaves, my other 15 varieties don't have any wavy leaves. I thought it was some kind of disease, but this tree grows really fast and holds fruits while it is still growing.

Does your OS fruits also have the orange smell when they are unripe? Or it has to be fully ripe to get the orange flavor?
Is your OS tree vigorous? Because mine is very vigorous.

I wonder if my 'OS' is actually an Asian variety that usually has a flowery flavor. It will be another month or so before my 'OS' fruits are ready to pick.
Time will tell.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:58:57 AM by palingkecil »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 10:06:24 AM »
I have a seedling OS (polyembryonic), and the leaves are very straight and flat.  Also, they start out brown.
John

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »
I took some quick pics before leaving for long weekend. Small and medium sized OS have pointy nose, I don’t recall any floral notes on the fruits. I would say it’s a vigorous tree, this is current size of the tree from 3 gal in about 3 years. Growth is somewhat restricted due to number of panels, it’s time to add more panels to let it grow.

Medium size fruits

Small fruits

Tree

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 12:38:38 PM »
It was windy with scattered rain this morning, causing some unripe fruits to drop.
One of them is from a mango tree labelled as Orange Sherbet that I got from Florida 2 years ago.
The tree arrived half dead, shippen bareroot and lost in mail for 5 weeks. It was also had bad anthracnose.
I don't have any jasmine plant in my yard. The OS mango tree is in ground next to a tomato, a suriname cherry, and a calamodine. But there is no bloom or flower at all on the calamodine now.
Other mangoes that are still hanging on the tree do not have a strong flowery smell though.
Pictures attached.

Unfortunately for me, I have a very small tree that grows really slow that smells like  jasmine to gardenia when sap is released from the fruit... It also splits almost if not every fruit in my fungus prone area of south florida... I have not enjoyed this slow growing tree that also blooms quite often setting more small fruit.
If you want to make perfume, it would be a classic plant to use... lol... However I do not... Thus the plant that you would want to rule out if these tree/fruit qualities match yours is Iman Passand...

Once again, I do not know what your tree is... Only a R/O suggestion.

Alex is the expert on Iman Passand and has said in the past that people that like this mango... love it and are willing to even buy the cracked fruit....
Re: Grafted mango varieties never produced mature fruit over 4 consecutive years
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:10 PM

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 11:39:50 PM »
I have a seedling OS (polyembryonic), and the leaves are very straight and flat.  Also, they start out brown.

Mine is definitely not flat nor straight. It starts reddish brown though.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 11:43:09 PM »
I took some quick pics before leaving for long weekend. Small and medium sized OS have pointy nose, I don’t recall any floral notes on the fruits. I would say it’s a vigorous tree, this is current size of the tree from 3 gal in about 3 years. Growth is somewhat restricted due to number of panels, it’s time to add more panels to let it grow.

Medium size fruits

Small fruits

Tree

Thanks for the pictures!
My OS fruits look completely different with yours.
I accept the fact that my OS is not an Orange Sherbet....
Hope you don't mind to sell me a few scions next year.
Here is my mystery 'OS' picture.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 11:54:29 PM »
Pictures attached.

Unfortunately for me, I have a very small tree that grows really slow that smells like  jasmine to gardenia when sap is released from the fruit... It also splits almost if not every fruit in my fungus prone area of south florida... I have not enjoyed this slow growing tree that also blooms quite often setting more small fruit.
If you want to make perfume, it would be a classic plant to use... lol... However I do not... Thus the plant that you would want to rule out if these tree/fruit qualities match yours is Iman Passand...

Once again, I do not know what your tree is... Only a R/O suggestion.

Alex is the expert on Iman Passand and has said in the past that people that like this mango... love it and are willing to even buy the cracked fruit....
Re: Grafted mango varieties never produced mature fruit over 4 consecutive years
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:10 PM

It does sound like mine could be an Imam Passand, except that the tree is extremely vigorous here. It grew about 2-3 ft in one year, and branch easily without tipping the top. The leaves are really big too.
I sniff around the fruits just now, and it does smell very floral like jasmine or gardenia.
The tree is also extremely productive here, it had more than 30 fruits in pea size on March, I thinned them out and left 15 fruits, 4 dropped and left me with 11 fruits. From 11 fruits, 4 are cracked.
Have you tried the fruit from your tree?

I did graft an Imam Passand scion onto my Manila last year, and it is indeed a very slow grower. The leaves are straight and small. I got the scion from a friend of a friend, so who knows if it is a true Imam Passand.
In a month I can try my 'OS' fruit, hopefully it does not taste as flowery as it smells. It reminds me of my grandma's perfume.... I love my grandma with her perfume, but it won't taste good in a mango.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:57:36 PM by palingkecil »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 02:27:23 PM »
The more I look for information, the more confused I am.
Here are the pictures of Orange Sherbet from Tropical Acres Farm.
And in the description it says the fruit is oval oblong shape:  https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/orange-sherbet

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 01:43:01 AM »
Just a little update here, one of my OS' nubin was ripe. the skin turns yellowish orange and it smells like a ripe Kent, not citrussy. However when I eat it, it does have a citrus flavor with very creamy sweet fiberless flesh. It reminds me of an orange sherbet indeed!
The part that was still greenish has some chalkiness.
The only thing lacking from this mango is the juice, it is a little too dry. But it was probably because the fruit is a nubin. It is seedless.
I still have 2 normal size fruits on the tree. So I will see if the normal fruits are more juicy.
at least now I can confirm it is an Orange Sherbet .
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 01:47:45 AM by palingkecil »