Author Topic: This Season's Pickering Are Bland  (Read 2119 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
This Season's Pickering Are Bland
« on: June 22, 2022, 09:55:24 PM »
Is it just my tree?  My trusty Pickering is starting to give up her fruits, but to date they have all been uncharacteristically bland.
Are others getting the same results?  Was it that lovely Saturday a few weeks back with 8" of rain? >:(

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: This Season's Pickering Are Bland
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 01:30:29 AM »
I ate some Pickerings today that were shipped over from Florida.  They all tasted washed out.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 08:24:30 AM »
Yeah, the texture is good, juicy as heck, but hardly any sweetness or flavor.  I'm hoping some of the later ones that are still on the tree up their game.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 08:58:48 AM »
I've noticed this too with about a 3rd of the Pickerings from my two trees.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 09:51:53 AM »
We've had one so far off my girlfriend's tree and it was outstanding. Still waiting for the ones on my tree to ripen. We're in Southwest Florida.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »
I doubt the problem is solely with the variety Pickering.  That wouldn't make sense.  I hope they get better for you.
John

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 12:23:37 PM »
I just mail ordered mango from FL. Not here yet. I'm afraid they are going to be poor to middling like the last batch. Too much rain there this month. That's why they're washed out. I guess I need to watch FL weather better before I order.

When I can get mine going in my greenhouse no more excess water ruining the fruit or causing disease.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »
I don't want to make you feel bad, but the PPK/LM I've been eating from my friend's tree have been like candy.  So there are probably some varieties that are sweet, no matter what, especially those with no acidity.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:26:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 11:59:24 AM »
I don't want to make you feel bad, but the PPK/LM I've been eating from my friend's tree have been like candy.  So there are probably some varieties that are sweet, no matter what, especially those with no acidity.
John I think you're on to something there. Just had that conversation a couple of days ago. Asian mangoes seem less susceptible to wash out. I know that is a generalized term and antidote  but I haven't had a bad PPK from South Florida this season all were good to excellent. I am still salivating over the Orange Sherbert. It left such an entrenched impression in my mind. I'm having a small second season crop on my orange sherbet in 9b because of the tropical December with flush and mix bloom. I'm hoping they're as good as the one I had from West Palm Beach
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:01:36 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 05:21:49 PM »
The only ppks that were washed out for me are early season ones. Along with most varieties.
Just had a few more pickering that were excellent

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »
My Pickering were excellent this season. And they were huge, much bigger than usual.

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 12:22:29 AM »
Mine have been excellent.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 09:45:06 AM »
You guys are killin' me.  My Pickerings are big, heavy and juicy, numerous. . .but boring and bland.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 10:54:02 AM »
You guys are killin' me.  My Pickerings are big, heavy and juicy, numerous. . .but boring and bland.
Pickering is a classic vanilla mango nothing exciting but it's early maybe some alternatives for you would be Dwarf Hawaiian Ppk Dupius Saigon. My very first one in early June was large and watery after that they were okay. I usually just let my wife having them and I go for PPK. It is in a spot where I need a semi dwarf tree so I'm looking for something with a Sophie frey growth habit to slowly top work it. When my amrapali gets big enough to produce Budwood I will use that.

Actually tried this for the first time. Was impressed with the size and seed to flesh ratio. It is a orange flesh mango with a mild West Indian flavor.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:04:42 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 11:10:33 PM »
My tree produced one fruit and it was good.  Last year it had a weird sweaty gym socks flavor but this year the flavor was good.  Too bad it produced only one fruit.  There's been a lot of rain here in FL and also growing practices play a role as well.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 12:12:37 AM »
I had 9 Pickering fruits from 2 different counties this season, they were all very good, but I would never venture to say Pickering has ever “WOW”d me… to me it’s just  a very good medium/fairly sweet mango with maybe some coconut flavor sometimes, but I’ve had them what I consider bland wuite a few times where now it doesn’t surprise me.  In my opinion. I do think it shines in growth habit/small Size and it’s famous ability for being the most precocious of
All Florida mangos, but I don’t think the flavor aspect was ever in the elite category. I’ve even had some at seemingly perfect ripeness that I would consider bad tasting, with a very funky/displeasing flavor. That being said It sounds like  it may be making its name as the most consistent bloomer and producer and most precocious and maybe most disease resistant well rounded south Florida mango of all time.

Completely unrelated, Best mango of season for me was CAC from Alex Salazar in Palm Beach, I told him how good it was and he said it’s an “elite” mango. Which is big words from a guy like that.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 12:18:46 AM »
EVERYTHING is bland here. My Pickering had zero fruit, the Madame Francis had four, my Julie seedling had a LOT but tasted like dust.
Regards,

Gary

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
Pickering's flavor was usually decent off my tree, definitely enjoyed by the non-connoisseur (family, neighbors, friends, co-workers).  Occasionally an individual fruit would approach peachy-coconut greatness when the brix was high, the flavor concentrated, and the juice dripping.  (I stained a few shirts!)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:58:34 AM by johnb51 »
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »
I think people are picking them too early and not giving them a few days off the tree before eating. No wonder they are complaining about them being bland.  Don't pick until they are mostly yellow coming off the tree easily, and don't eat until fully yellow for best quality. Pickering is mediocre if picked early and not given a few days off the tree before eating. My tree in SWFL is just now STARTING to color some of its fruit.
It will be at least a week before I pick any, and probably 10 days to 2 weeks before I eat them.  Let them hang longer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 10:35:09 AM by TonyinCC »

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 10:40:54 AM »
Ive had some amazing pickering from Walter Zill. Many others Ive bought recently have been washed out but that might be because of the recent heavy rains we experienced recently.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2022, 02:17:58 PM »
I never had to pick a Pickering (cute, no?), as in any degree of tugging.  It was always just a matter of putting your hand on or under the perfectly colored fruit with no effort required, more like catching them.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2022, 03:22:09 PM »
I think people are picking them too early and not giving them a few days off the tree before eating. No wonder they are complaining about them being bland.  Don't pick until they are mostly yellow coming off the tree easily, and don't eat until fully yellow for best quality. Pickering is mediocre if picked early and not given a few days off the tree before eating. My tree in SWFL is just now STARTING to color some of its fruit.
It will be at least a week before I pick any, and probably 10 days to 2 weeks before I eat them.  Let them hang longer.

100% agree.  I'm always so disappointed when I buy fruit from farms.

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 08:44:43 AM »
Walter Zill has so many ripe Pickerings right now it’s ridiculous.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 10:18:17 AM »
Following this thread, how good are they? ???
John

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:04 PM »
Following this thread, how good are they? ???

Havent had a bad one. They wait so long to pick they end up with a ton of waste. They also have notes telling customers to wait until its very ripe to eat. They had it from $1, $2, $3 a pound depending on ripeness.

Walter is the goat when it comes to picking mangoes correct. He takes it so seriously and thats why I go there the most.