Author Topic: Loquat varieties for longest season? And Loquat recipes  (Read 660 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Loquat varieties for longest season? And Loquat recipes
« on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:48 AM »
What variety combination would make for the longest season in these tasty tasty fruits.

Also do any of you have favorite loquat recipes?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat varieties for longest season? And Loquat recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:57:04 AM »
I've only found a few wild types with extended picking seasons, most ones I've known have very short seasons, which is a trait favored by those selecting for commercial crops.

If you find high quality ones, you can always multi-graft a tree to allow for extended season, something I've seen a lot of with loquat growers.

For recipes, I think anything which highlights the excellent texture and mild flavor of a loquat is a requirement for showing how well balanced a fruit it is, so it should have no extremes or added flavors ideally. My favorite is loquat in agar jelly, the jelly isn't too firm and it holds the loquat flavor well, and only seems to preserve the texture. Not sure this is something you could buy stateside, but if you travel to Japan, it's available in convenience stores when the fruit is in season.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:31:32 AM »
My Big Jim's season can last for over 2 months.  I will get early fruit which is smaller then a later fruit set with larger fruits.  My largest this season weighed 87 grams. 

My favorite simple recipe is a loquat/ avocado salad. 
Fresh loquats with sliced avocados
salt & pepper
drizzle with olive oil
squeeze fresh lime juice
I add any other fruit in season, usually citrus
You can add onions, and fresh herbs and make it a salsa

When kids were younger I made fruit strips and a natural "soda"
Slice loquats, sprinkle with sugar, squeeze lemon juice, simmer just til sugar is dissolved. Let cool then set aside in refrigerator for a day.  The juice will separate, strain off the juice and add sparkling mineral water.  The solids I puree in blender then spread out on parchment paper and put in dehydrator. 

Janet
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:35:07 AM by JCorte »

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 11:13:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm really excited to try the recipes and do glad I asked. I would not have thought of them

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:27:32 AM »
Loquat jam is bomb-

1:1 by weight with sugar of your choice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk