Author Topic: Need help saving mango tree/ whats wrong with it?  (Read 416 times)

Brandon Burke

• Vancouver Island, Canada
    • View Profile
Need help saving mango tree/ whats wrong with it?
« on: June 24, 2022, 04:01:55 AM »
Two days ago I got a nam doc mai 4# mango that I ordered online. I noticed that the leaves looked yellowish and knew it didnt look normal as ive grown mango trees from seeds. Today I decided to repot it into the potting mix that ive been using.

This is what the plant looked like after I got it.

It had a heavy layer of mulch on top of it and it looked like it was in some kind of sandy-ish soil that was mucky and felt like removing soft clay from around it at parts. This is what the roots looked like after I removed most of the soil.

My guess is that it has severe root rot but im not sure as ive had mangoes with root rot before and they still had green leaves. Today I repotted it into a mixture of 30 % peat moss (the fine kind), 30% coarse perlite, 30% pumice and 10% quartz rock (which is called cherry stone #2). I didn't remove any roots, or wash them under water. Used a very low amount of fertilizer as I was watering it. And put it into a location where it gets no direct sun or bright light. Im hoping with time it will just start re-growing new roots and the rotted roots will decay away. Or if it starts growing/grows new healthy roots I might repot it again and remove all of the black roots if it has a healthy amount of new roots in the future (im hoping one or two months from now).
 I currently have a mango I grew from seed doing fine growing in 30% peat moss, 60 % coarse perlite, 10% quartz rock and im stressing that maybe I should have put it into that instead.

Can anyone give me advice on what I could do to help save this mango, or diagnose the problem? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Need help saving mango tree/ whats wrong with it?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 07:12:10 AM »
As u describe it, the problem may have been too much water. U say the soil felt like modeling clay which i think is not good.
Now as u have repotted it, keep it at a shady place up untill u see some new growth, then introduce it to more sun. Thats what i would do with any plant in this condition.
Also be carefull to not overwater, as this may have been the problem in the first place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk