Author Topic: Fruit & Spice Is Really Nice  (Read 705 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Fruit & Spice Is Really Nice
« on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:05 PM »
We finally visited Fruit & Spice Park today. Not much to try, but having an opportunity to try Mammee Apple was soooo worth the visit. What an amazing fruit. Hopefully the seed germinates (I nicked it with my knife and it gave up some latex).

The only mango we got to try was Sri Lanka and it was yummy. It's a small fruit and had fiber, but was sweet in the classic sense and reminded me of a sweet mango pie my girlfriend recently made. We liked the fruit very much.

Also tried Wax Jambu (very refreshing), Seashore Mangosteen (very tart out of hand but it would be great in a cocktail), White Sapote (very bland), and we smelled a Bael Fruit, which smelled fantastic.

A fun time was had by all.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit & Spice Is Really Nice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 09:53:40 PM »
I really enjoyed it when I went there for the first time earlier this year.  It was amazing to see the full grown versions of all the trees I am trying to grow in containers and keep small. 

I got to try "giant lau lau" which is another syzgium and it was very interesting, like a juicy rose flavored marshmallow, would definitely eat again.

Disappointing to hear about the seashore mangosteen and white sapote.  I have always heard that white sapote is good, mine flowers but hasn't held fruit yet.  I am curious what others opinions on seashore mangosteen are, haven't tried it yet and my seedlings are a ways from flowering

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:34:03 AM »
I, too, loved my visit to F&S.  If I lived in the SoFL area, I would make an attempt to visit annually at  different times of the year. Amazing the size of the trees. I tasted so many fruit that I’ve read about but never had the opportunity previously.  They just need to improve their labeling on some of the trees.
The Giant Lau Lau was really tasty with fruit and blooms everywhere. No seeds!!! The ground looked like a pink tree skirt.

I had an unlabeled white sapote there that was the size of a baseball and the flavor put my Suebelle to shame. No bitterness, slight citrus flavor, smooth and creamy. Best I’ve ever had and made a real mess after eating. Totally worth it!

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 08:17:29 AM »
The Summer Fruit Festival is TODAY at the Fruit and Spice Park, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. There will be a wide range of different fruits on display, as well as a variety of mangoes to taste. The fruit-topped ice cream is a real winner!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »
! Seashore mangosteen is the best. Properly ripened it tastes like sour green apple flavor!
White aspire is also decent, but yes, not the best fruit anyway.

When going to the park, I’d recommend taking the tour and walking by yourself as the tour guides pick fruit…and then you can go everywhere else they didn’t go.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:46:50 AM by Jaboticaba45 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk