Author Topic: Question?  (Read 814 times)

Explorer Fruits

• Poland
    • View Profile
Question?
« on: January 23, 2023, 09:43:08 AM »
Hello, does the Abiu fruit taste like sapodilla fruit but with a different consistency or is it closer in taste to Star Apple? And what tastes better, sapodilla or abiu? :)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 10:00:23 AM »
Hello, does the Abiu fruit taste like sapodilla fruit but with a different consistency or is it closer in taste to Star Apple? And what tastes better, sapodilla or abiu? :)
Abiu and sapodilla do not taste similar at all. Star apple is closer to abiu and they are both pretty good. Sapodilla is like a pear soaked in brown sugar.  I’d say I prefer abiu over sapodilla.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »
I've never had abiu or star apple but I can ditto the sapodilla taste, to me if I close my eyes its exactly like applesauce. slightly gritty pear with strong brown sugar aftertaste

looking online I see an article that says star apple tastes like applesauce, I've only heard star apple and abiu compared to extremely sweet things, condensed milk gelatinous quality
instagram @trumansacco

HI_Chris

• USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 02:13:22 PM »
Based on fruits from our own tree and those from some friends, my wife and I prefer the abiu (we have a Z-1 cultivar) to star apples, though there is some similarity in taste.  Sapodilla is quite a bit different, with a strong brown sugar taste compared to the milder vanilla/pear/caramel taste of the abiu.  An abiu, picked the same day and chilled in the refrigerator, makes for a beautiful, wonderful dessert.

Chris

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
From what I've tasted, abiu and caimito are mild in flavor, whereas sapodilla is strongly flavored with high brix.  I like sapodilla best.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:12:43 AM »
Yet to try abiu, but saps are much more enjoyable to me than a latexy and mild caimito.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk