Author Topic: Sugarloaf mango productivity???  (Read 1039 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Sugarloaf mango productivity???
« on: July 21, 2022, 12:24:09 AM »
Any idea how productive Sugarloaf is?   Anyone have a tree with a few years on it yet?  Any idea how the mother tree is doing for productivity?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:35:43 AM by chrobrego »

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Sugarloaf mango productivity???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
My small tree has been in ground for 3 years and held onto 19 mangos. It definitely exceeded my expectations.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
My small tree has been in ground for 3 years and held onto 19 mangos. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
Oh wow, good to know!  Have you started picking?  Is it hard to tell when to pick?
John

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »
Oh wow, good to know!  Have you started picking?  Is it hard to tell when to pick?

Yes, almost done; only 4-5 left on the tree.

Most of them have been easy to tell when ripening on the tree. They pretty much all get a light-yellow spot on the nose and a slightly lighter skin color. Also, they give off a strong pineapple smell. All were ready to eat 1-2 days after picking.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »

Most of them have been easy to tell when ripening on the tree. They pretty much all get a light-yellow spot on the nose and a slightly lighter skin color. Also, they give off a strong pineapple smell. All were ready to eat 1-2 days after picking.

After talking to Gary Zill about Sugarloaf I took his advice this season and picked them more towards mature green before tree ripe. Then gave them 4-5 days or so before eating. They were much better flavor and overall flesh quality in my opinion! I've found Buttercream to be the same way.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 12:00:40 AM »

After talking to Gary Zill about Sugarloaf I took his advice this season and picked them more towards mature green before tree ripe. Then gave them 4-5 days or so before eating. They were much better flavor and overall flesh quality in my opinion! I've found Buttercream to be the same way.

My sugarloaf bears fruit for the first time this year.
How do you determine the mature green stage?
My sugarloaf are all dark green with a little red blush on them now for about 2 months. They are slightly bigger than the size of store bought Manila/ champagne mango.
The fruits were starting on February here in SoCal.
It is very productive and problem free here btw.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 12:18:20 AM by palingkecil »

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 12:53:17 AM »
I really want a mango tree and wondering if sugarloaf can be successfully grown in 25 gallon container.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
Our SL tree has been in ground a little over a year, I think. It set a bunch, and held a few fruit almost to maturity this year. Growth habit is moderate for me, with good internode spacing and nice shape easily produced through selective pruning. Haven't tried it yet, but already loving this tree.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »
Mine was planted as a 3 gallon this is the third season in the ground second season blooming and fruit set. I've heard discussion of too high of a male flower ratio but that hasn't been an issue. I'm satisfied with the bloom and fruit set and seems to be a clean tree not much issues with anthracnose or powdery mildew in my yard. As far as picking the fruit on a previous thread someone mentioned as soon as one falls off the tree pick some. The one we had tonight was soft on both sides and was very good but my wife feels if we had waited a couple more days it may have been better. I have a few more left on the tree and I am going to wait for a sign of yellow and pick and see how that works out. Overall my wife says it is a very good mango and since she's been eating Julie mangos before she could walk I value her opinion.

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry