Author Topic: Little seedling looks like Sweet Tart. Tastes totally different no tart at green  (Read 404 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
I decided to let a few seedling bear rather than grafting and this one put out a fruit that looks like sweet tart but no sharp tart or sharp sweet tastes. At the total green stage and still firm, it tastes only sweet but a good sweetness to me something between glen & ripe keitt taste but probably more like some of my smaller seedling Keitt than either.

It's sort of fun seeing what your seedling will bear and I plan to keep this one as I get burnt out with tasting too many sharp tastes of sweet tart etc. and I crave the milder tastes during those periods.

When starting with seeds from good mango trees it seems to be a lot easier to get new seedling trees producing a fruit with a good taste vs bad tastes than I previously thought years ago.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Thank you! :)
 I enjoyed reading that. I appreciate your efforts. Keep up the quest for the Holy Grail of mangoes
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Glad you (Bovine) enjoyed the pics, thus here is a little more experimenting....

I have another smaller green seedling near a ditch that I just tasted and it was also one dimensional sweet only but once again a nice sweetness. This mango has a very small seed (the fruit was also a little smaller than other fruit) which is smaller and thinner than Phillipine or Okrung seeds.

I'm really not sure which seedling tree at a ditch it was so I guess I will save them all till next year. The seed has an unusual growth coming off it into the fruit brown to blackish. I have only had years ago the white calcium internal deposits in varieties like Venus but this looks really different but then again probably just due to such a young tree. I'm pretty sure the skin was not punctured by a boring insect making the black growth on the seed.

I previously tasted 2 other seedling trees bearing but have no pics of them. 1 was good tasting & 1 was bad tasting IMO... So 3 out of 4 is pretty good odds for me for this year fruit from seedling bearing trees...

Last year I think I tasted 2 seedlings and I was 1 for 2  (50%) thus grafted the bad tasting seedling.

The year before that I was 1 for 2 also on good tasting seedlings. Unfortunately my favorite seedling with a little pumpkin taste rotted due to being loved to death by a family member throwing mango cuttings too close to the tree trunk (probably) and thus forming an anerobic area/bacteria/fungus/etc. & unfortunately death to it. Since then, I have carefully explained no plant waste thrown at the base of the trees; only at the drip line.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:44:21 PM by palmcity »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Did the seed come from Sweet Tart?  Isn't Sweet Tart polyembryonic?
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk