Author Topic: Wanted: Hass avocado scions  (Read 1447 times)

boticarioa62

• San Fernando Valley CA, plant zone 10
    • View Profile
    • none
Wanted: Hass avocado scions
« on: July 28, 2022, 01:12:59 PM »
Hello everyone,! 
Enthusiastic beginner here, I want to graft 2 avocado rootstock plants one is 60 inches tall and 26 and one half inches in containers.
I appreciate any information on the subject.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Hass avocado scions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 12:51:27 PM »
You can buy a Hass avocado tree from Walmart for $26 and take the scions you need. Then you'll still also have a tree 8)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »
I have more rare types but my prices are higher than average and reflect the rarity, in case you want something other than a Hass, Hass is large tree and harder to pick.

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 08:43:18 PM »
You can buy a Hass avocado tree from Walmart for $26 and take the scions you need. Then you'll still also have a tree 8

I understand you need to collect a scion from a tree that already produce fruit in the past, I have two young avocado plants
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:18:08 PM by boticarioa62 »

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:52:26 PM »
I have more rare types but my prices are higher than average and reflect the rarity, in case you want something other than a Hass, Hass is large tree and harder to pick.

you can't beat the taste of the creamy hass avocado,   I am set on getting hass avocado scions.

what types do you have?

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 10:02:23 PM »
You can buy a Hass avocado tree from Walmart for $26 and take the scions you need. Then you'll still also have a tree 8)
[

I understand you need to collect a scion from a tree that already produce fruit in the past, I haved two young avocado plants

Hmm. Not really. The trees are grafted themselves, typically from Laverne nursery. You can also stop by Atkins nursery in north county.

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 10:34:53 PM »
[

I understand you need to collect a scion from a tree that already produce fruit in the past, I haved two young avocado plants

Hmm. Not really. The trees are grafted themselves, typically from Laverne nursery. You can also stop by Atkins nursery in north county.

I want to graft both avocado plants myself see if i can do it,  thank you for the information.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 06:04:38 PM »
I have black Johnson, Arivipia, Duke,Cannonball, Nimlioh,Jan Boyce, Gem, Futado,Turlock mexicola,and some others, more cold tolerant than you need for some types I have, easy to find Hass scions if that's what your after , as far as taste- that who's doing the tasting or the picking, Hass is not everyone's cup of tea.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:17:43 PM by Avoman »

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 11:23:19 PM »
PM send

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 05:51:31 PM »
[

I want to graft both avocado plants myself see if i can do it,  thank you for the information.

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying, but anyway, don't pay for Hass scions. If I had some of give them to you. Post this on NextDoor app in your neighborhood. About 1 in 5 houses have a Hass tree by where you live. Same as over here.

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 08:26:50 PM »
[

I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying, but anyway, don't pay for Hass scions. If I had some of give them to you. Post this on NextDoor app in your neighborhood. About 1 in 5 houses have a Hass tree by where you live. Same as over here.

I do understand what you are saying, but for a grafted avocado big enough to get scions now, is not going to cost me $29 maybe $68 to 100 dollars
I driven around my city looking for avocado trees, and I stop and nock at three residences people don't come out or they are not home.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »
Where do you live?  If you want to come get some hass scions I will give you some.  But winter and early spring is the better time to do avocado grafting. 

Hass is king for a reason too my friend.  It still kills most of the overhyped stuff out there.  I think maybe Carmen is a good option too.  It seems to fruit even more profusely than hass.   Its basically a mutation of hass the fruits more.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:26:04 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 01:01:03 PM »

Hi Brad,

I live in the San Fernando Valley, yes you are right winter and early spring I think you can even collect scions in winter and stored in the refrigerator

up to two months to early spring. In my opinion Hass is up there with the best, it is good in guacamole, salads, People nock it down.

I am not familiar with Carmen variedity. I am looking for Sharwil, Lamb Hass , or super Hass scions.

Thank you!  If I can't get scions from now to fall season, Then I may get in touch with you in late winter.

Thank you again.

Alberto

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 04:58:18 PM »
I think lamb is not a great fruit.  Its a bad substitute for regular hass.  Yeah it does grow and produce well and fruit can be passed off as hass but they are really a B grade imposter IMO.  I think you are better off with reed for late season fruit.

Carmen is a hass tree that has a mutation that makes it fruit more.  The fruit and everything else look and taste exactly like regular hass. 

I have the sharwil and lamb and carmen and hass and whatever other ones available.  I would really prefer take cuttings in january though.  This really is not the right time to do grafting unless you are pretty skilled at it.  You can just graft right away around mid to late January and the scions will heal nicely and start growing in March.

I have found that sharwil and reed can be grafted in January and hass should be done in February about 1 month later than the others. 

I would say come get the scions but its like 3 hours south to where I live from san fernando.
Brad Spaugh

boticarioa62

• View Profile
    • none
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 06:24:53 PM »

Sharwil has good ratings, I might look into CRFG -California Rare fruit growers in Orange county in late august and September,
  I think the more fresh the scions cuttings better success.
  I keep in mind what you said.
  thank you

Alberto

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk