Author Topic: Vent Session - Tree Trimmers  (Read 1474 times)

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Vent Session - Tree Trimmers
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:30:00 AM »
Came back from a camping trip with the family and proceeded to go check on some of my trees. It was dusk and I was anticipating about 20-30 blooms from my dragon fruit plants, so went to see if flowers were going to open. Well, instead I find 2 of the plants were severely damaged.

I noticed that my neighbor had his rat hotel palm trees trimmed, and that either the palm tree seed pods and/or palm fronds had fell on the plants ( one of my S8's and Physical graffiti). Unfortunately, about 40-50% mass was damaged or broken. Tree trimmers appear to have picked up the heavy stuff but crap everywhere. Lost a years growth. Neighbor didn't care but I'll call the company tomorrow.

Think this is the only place where people understand how much time we invest to grow...so it goes...

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Vent Session - Tree Trimmers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 06:29:04 AM »
So the Tree Trimmers entered your yard, without your consent to remove the fallen fronds ? and possibly to trim from your yard ?
Any palm seed or fronds normally fall or blow into your yard ?

I used to do some casual work with a tree trimmer a while back.
Sometimes things went a little pear shaped, but most often it was very well controlled.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
Tree trimmers really screwed up the mango trees in common areas in our community.  Their contract was to trim the lower branches on all trees so for them that meant the mango trees, too!  Absolute morons.
John

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »
So the Tree Trimmers entered your yard, without your consent to remove the fallen fronds ? and possibly to trim from your yard ?
Any palm seed or fronds normally fall or blow into your yard ?

I used to do some casual work with a tree trimmer a while back.
Sometimes things went a little pear shaped, but most often it was very well controlled.

They probably used the long pole cutters to grab them from our yard while they were still in the tree. That's what they did a couple years ago. They grab the large pieces but leave the small stuff. This time around was an absolute hack job. We normally only have a few seeds fall in our property plus the ones the rats bring over to eat.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 12:03:25 PM »
Sorry the tree trimmers destroyed your dragonfruit crop, John.  That's a terrible waste of a year of your efforts caused by those trimmers.  Hope that you get some recompense & satisfaction from the tree trimmers or the neighbor who hired them.  (I wonder in whose favor Judge Judy would rule.)

You mentioned rats also bring palm seeds over into your yard.  What are you using for rat control, if anything?

Have you (or any of our TFF members) ever tried the Goodnature Rat & Mouse A24 unit for rodent control? I'd like to try their unit A18 for squirrels but is doesn't seem to be available in the US.  At least I cannot find anywhere that the A18 is offered stateside.  (Maybe this needs to go up as a separate thread.)

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:18:30 PM »
Sorry for your losses, sux and shitty timing on top of that.

Can imagine fruit fanatics, such as all of us, sending poor souls to the gallows for chopping/harming/taking the wrong plant or fruit. Was shocked by the rage felt when caught a worker snatching one of the last mangoes, right in front of my face. It must've shown, as he looked back in terror realizing he was not alone. Relinquished the mango and quickly departed.

Have been through a few crews of landscapers and tree trimmers. Our current team is good, but makes mistakes too. We have become friends over the years, and they are probably now afraid of harming anything other than a blade of grass. But leave the lemon grass alone, lol!

We are the exception to workers. Most people don't have fruits and valuable plants along their fence lines. A branch here or there, no harm done, most of the time.

I used to get really upset, and then angry. It still bothers me when stuff gets whacked or damaged, but I try to accept it. Also, it gets me more upset when I think of how stupid or disrespectful they must be to have done something so obviously wrong. So, I tell myself they are doing the best they know, and rationalize that I am probably one of their more particular and challenging clients. Whether true or not, feels better thinking this way.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 01:35:31 PM »
Small claims court, 5000$ compensation for mental anguish, pain, and suffering.   And then call La Migra on them after you get the 5 grand.   :P
Brad Spaugh

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 05:17:49 PM »
There's barely been a time when my lawn guy doesn't mow over something. To date I've had multiple small Peanut Butter Fruit seedlings, Suriname Cherry seedlings, a Cedar Bay Cherry seedling, a Kwai Muk seedling, some Jasmine and Passionfruit vines trying to grow on the fence, and Papaya seedlings mowed over.

spaugh, I'm not a lawyer and am not playing one on a fruit forum, but I do believe--from watching People's Court--Small Claims doesn't deal in mental anguish, pain and suffering compensation

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 05:37:14 PM »

You mentioned rats also bring palm seeds over into your yard.  What are you using for rat control, if anything?
==

Paul, my cat used to love hunting them when she was younger. Now she just chases them around. We have a healthy kit fox population that does a good job at managing the population. I haven't needed to do more, yet.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 05:46:26 PM »
I used to get really upset, and then angry. It still bothers me when stuff gets whacked or damaged, but I try to accept it. Also, it gets me more upset when I think of how stupid or disrespectful they must be to have done something so obviously wrong. So, I tell myself they are doing the best they know, and rationalize that I am probably one of their more particular and challenging clients. Whether true or not, feels better thinking this way.
Well said. We're still healing...ha, ha, ha. My 3year old is positive as well. She said at least the pomegranates and cherimoyas weren't damaged!
Small claims court, 5000$ compensation for mental anguish, pain, and suffering. 
Brad, it was Atlas tree service. You've probably heard of them. I think when you factor in all the cuttings and fruit loss, it is in the $1000s range... But we know how that goes. They're coming out to clean the mess tomorrow. I'll see if they annoy me to ask for their insurance carrier.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »
In more rural areas like where i live surrounded by sugar cane fields its not tree trimmers from next door that are the problem its drift from aerial spraying of herbicide like 24d.  This has caused some serious problems for people around here trying to grow fruit trees.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 07:40:23 PM »
Well said. We're still healing...ha, ha, ha. My 3year old is positive as well. She said at least the pomegranates and cherimoyas weren't damaged!

LOL! If they had damaged the moyas and poms, who knows what your 3 year old would say. Lucky for Atlas 'twas only dragon fruits.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 01:56:09 AM »
spaugh, I'm not a lawyer and am not playing one on a fruit forum, but I do believe--from watching People's Court--Small Claims doesn't deal in mental anguish, pain and suffering compensation

Sorry my dry humor doesn't come accross electronic media well.

I certainly not serious that he should go to court or call la mgra.  That was a joke. 

Shit happens.  The tree trimmers Im sure didnt mean to hit your stuff.  It sucks but on the grand scheme of things its small stuff.  Ask the neighbor if they can try to have the trimmers not let it happen again and forget about it.
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 07:39:31 AM »
I see many banana plantations planted under coconut palm plantations. You just know that a branch falling from a tall coconut tree will smash the banana plant like it was butter but they do it anyway.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 12:06:47 PM »

I certainly not serious that he should go to court or call la mgra.  That was a joke. 

I picked up on it. Never thought you were serious 8)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »

Shit happens.  The tree trimmers Im sure didnt mean to hit your stuff.  It sucks but on the grand scheme of things its small stuff.  Ask the neighbor if they can try to have the trimmers not let it happen again and forget about it.

roflmao!

You are hilarious Brad, totally get and appreciate your humor. Imagining you were serious was funny too =)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 04:26:44 PM »

When you speak with their insurance company you can tell them this one is the ultra rare variegated one that people pay 500$ per cutting for on ebay. 

Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 04:57:49 PM »
Ok, that’s hilarious! 

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 06:09:38 PM »

When you speak with their insurance company you can tell them this one is the ultra rare variegated one that people pay 500$ per cutting for on ebay. 

I'm going to post one for sale right now! 😆

In all fairness, the company was really apologetic. They cleaned up the mess and said they'd make sure I was home next time so they could cover with plywood.

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 07:19:07 PM »
That dragon fruit looks sunburned. Did they cut down its shade tree too?

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
That dragon fruit looks sunburned. Did they cut down its shade tree too?

Every July/August we get hot humid weather and the top exposed branches turn yellow. Then they go back to green when it cools down. I grow for the production of fruit, not to keep the green vegetative color on every single vine. I've grown them under various plants/shade but full sun significantly increases fruit production. We have intense sun here and I'm rewarded with more flowers.

Are these green enough for you? Too bad because they are cut off!😆