Author Topic: Newbie in Florida: how to balance the water and the sun?  (Read 836 times)

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
Newbie in Florida: how to balance the water and the sun?
« on: August 22, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to both gardening and Florida. Last year I "cooked" cucumbers and snow peas, planting them in the spot with the most sun during the day. While I was worried that my herbs will not get enough sun under the shade of an oak tree, they actually did pretty well. So I went bold and decided to plan a bunch of trees and shrubs as we were re-doing our front yard, and I did it in the middle of the summer. Most guidelines I read online about watering say that I shouldn't water daily outside of the first week. But even if we have a decent rain at night (I'm in St Pete, zone 10) and I won't water during the day, I can see the leaves drooping by 11AM already.

So here are my questions:
1. My Barbados cherry seems to need more water than other plants. And while I end up watering three times a day, recently the trunk no longer stays straight. Is that a concern or is it normal for acerola? (Not sure why the uploader decided to rotate the photo)

2. My Barbados cherries are also the only plants that have ahpids. I've seen a couple of ladybugs inspecting the leaves, but they are clearly slacking because the number of aphids only goes up. I started spraying with insecticide (Bonide CAPTAIN JACK'S Neem Oil), but the internet says if it's raining, I might need to apply it more often than once a week. So I am trying to re-apply every couple of days, but I wonder if it damages the plant too and that's why it looks droopy.

3. Do we even need to be worried about the root rot in Florida's sandy soils and summer heat?

4. My blueberries and blackberries started developing brown spots. New growth doesn't have them, but after some time they are affected. Blueberries already had them when they were delivered to me, but the nursery said it's because the leftover water stayed on leaves and it was too hot in the box during shipping, but the new growth won't be affected. Well, it is. And I wonder if it's just too much sun for them too? I planted them in the area that receives the shade from our home from about 2PM

5. Papaya develops white streaks on its leaves. Is it sunburn, fungi, or normal?

TIA!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie in Florida: how to balance the water and the sun?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 08:13:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum

My barbados cherry needs very little attention. I originally planted it in a spot
with a water sprinkler and I moved it. I never water it and it is fine. If your tree is
a newly planted tree you might want to water it the first Summer.

Neem oil can burn leaves if the temperature is over 90F

Blueberry plants have proven tough for me. They need acidic soil
I would consider keeping them in a pot if I was going to try them again.
The couple blueberry farms in ths area inject acid in their watering systems.
They plant them on raised beds with acidic soil.

Papaya is also something I plant and forget. I have some Luc's garcinia and
I planted them in the yard. The Sun seems to be too much and recently I replanted
several volunteer papayas I have growing in my compost pile on the West side of the Garcinias
hoping to provide some sun protection. They are growing fast and will soon offer some protection
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:33:41 PM by achetadomestica »

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 08:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the response!

Blueberry plants have proven tough for me. They need acidic soil
I would consider keeping them in a pot if I was going to try them again.
The couple blueberry farms in ths area inject acid in their watering systems.
They plant them on raised beds with acidic soil.

I tested my soil in a couple of spots and it was about 6.0 I added Espoma Soil Acidifier as per instruction and plan to re-test in 6 months. They are in raised beds and I read their roots only. go about 6 inches deep. We'll see.

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:27:06 PM »
I agree that the Barbados Cherry is basically bomb proof and I don’t stress if my blueberries don’t look perfect. I did opt to put mine in pots with acidic mix (despite having acidic soil at my site). They look rough sometimes, but I know I picked appropriate varieties so I chill and get decent yields. After a few years you’ll be pruning the BC hard because it grows like a champ here. It’s hardy too probably to the mid 20s. You’ll do great and grow some legit crops here. Good luck and happy gardening.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 10:51:21 PM »
Fungus is the biggest issue for blueberries in south central Florida. Blueberries need fertilizer with high potassium and phosphorus. This will create strong roots that resist pathogens like phytophera that cause root rot (the most common cause of death in my experience). We used MKP (monopotassium phosphate--I think the numbers were 0-30-15). Oxidate can help with septoria leaf spot and other fungal issues. Your leaves have spots, but it does not look like septoria to me. Speaking of the leaves, is that a rabbiteye variety? Or a southern high bush? If you find wilted growth with dead tissue in the center, cut it out and burn it. The condition is known as stem blight and is also a fungal disease as I recall.

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 11:15:27 AM »
1) Looks normal for acerola but you can always put in a taller plant stake and tie it back straight with some twine.

2) If they have aphids, it's also likely they have ants. I've found that adding a thick coating of petroleum jelly around the trunks of fruit trees can be a good preventative for keeping ants off the tree. I'd probably hard spray the leaves to get the bugs off and then give it a good thick coating around the base of the trunk. Make sure the tree isn't accidentally touching anything else they can crawl onto the tree from, too.

3) I don't see much root rot in sandy soil because in sandy soil the water drains off almost immediately. I see it more often in over watered container plants that don't have adequate drainage. Root rot has a particular smell to it so I can usually tell by the smell of the soil in container plants whether there's a rot issue going on. It can also be treated with household hydrogen peroxide but the best way to prevent it is a soil with adequate drainage from the get go.

4) It could be a few things. Fungal, sunburn or over-fertilizing. The damage doesn't look extensive and at this point I wouldn't worry about it. Water the plants a few times a week if you haven't gotten 1" of rain lately and try to avoid spraying the leaves to help reduce chances of fungus problems. If it persists or gets worse/spreads to something else then consider a fungal problem.

5) It could be a touch of powdery mildew. Does it come off when you rub it? If so it probably is and can be treated with insecticidal soap or a neem oil spray.

Juls

• St Petersburg, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback, the trick with petroleum jelly is genius! :)

My blueberries are indeed Rabbiteye (Climax, Brightwell and Delight), and a couple of them had dead stems, I thought they were just underwatered at some point. I'll make sure to cut those!

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 08:02:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback, the trick with petroleum jelly is genius! :)

My blueberries are indeed Rabbiteye (Climax, Brightwell and Delight), and a couple of them had dead stems, I thought they were just underwatered at some point. I'll make sure to cut those!

Prune them this winter. Also, test the soil to make sure the pH isn't too high. Blueberries like an acidic soil around pH 5.5 to 6.0 and won't absorb the nutrients they need at higher pH levels. You can use a tablespoon or two of iron sulfite granules as a top dressing around the bushes (rake it in) a few times a year to keep the pH lower. Espoma makes a good one as well as Iron + from fertilome works fine. Don't use the ammonium version as it will burn plants roots. In their first year or if in containers, water them twice a week with five gallons of water if you haven't had a solid 1" of rain lately.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 03:21:12 PM »
Right now is the time you want to start planting tomatoes, cucumbers, and so forth. They grow really well in the fall/winter, though you have to watch out for freezes. The summer will cook them and they won't grow well, though you can do two crops a year if you want, the summer crop is pretty lousy. The only thing the summer is good for are watermelon. They love water, actually need it. So get those going in spring, plant them in a low lying swampy sandy area, then when rainy season hits they'll be loving life. Only need maybe a little fertilizer once in a while. That's the only one that will do better in summer.

Those black spots on your blackberries is black rot. It is caused by a fungus that happens in high humidity and warm nights. Though the blackberry should be mostly immune to it and not any problem. If it keeps happening plant a different variety. We do have native blackberries here in Florida but you might get one with too many northern genetics that doesn't do well here. You have to try different varieties. Though none of them on the market today have any native Florida blackberry in them. There used to be some people grew but they are male and female and not self fertile so they went out of popularity unfortunately. There's two types of wild blackberry here- one is bitter and not very good and the other one tastes great. The bitter one usually grows in grassy fields, the great tasting one on forest floors, though not always.

That powder could be powdery mildew- again the high humidity and warm temperatures encourages it. Different plants have different levels of resistance to it.

Aphids- I try to spray areas without lady bugs on them. Let the lady bugs do their work. But in the summer you might want to get an insectidal soap without the neem oil because neem oil burns leaves in the summer.

You don't need to acidify soil in Florida. The secret is just add a lot of compost- Garden soil, potting soil, peat moss, mulch, whatever you can get. It will acidify the soil properly. Because the problem with sand is that it doesn't hold water or nutrients. It's not just PH, which normally isn't a big problem with sand anyway because its pretty close to neutral. You want some peat moss or something that will hold the nutrients. You can fertilize sand all day it just washes away. You can water a plant in sand and the water will just seep through the sand and its bone dry right after watering (or the water sits on top).

There's a handful of plants that like sand- cactus, pineapple mainly. There are a lot of plants that like a sand mixture- some amount of sand but not total sand you get in Florida. But in Florida it rains so much during the rainy season you need at least some sand for drainage so a mixture of sand and compost is ideal and will balance out the PH too.

And when you put all that peat moss or compost down, come back a year or two later and the dirt is pure sand again. The plant will absorb all the compost.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 06:43:46 PM »
We always pruned our southern high bush blueberries after harvest at the end of May beginning of June. I believe that rabbite yes blueberries are on a similar schedule--just later. We did not have much success with them because they didn't get enough chill here and fruited after the marketing window had ended for Florida berries.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 06:56:31 PM »
Blueberries, strawberry, and apple like cool weather. Raspberry and blackberry do well if you have the right variety

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 07:01:14 PM »
My Barbados tree is probably the fast tree/shrub I have ever grown. I am in central Florida and only water it once a week if it hasn't rained once it was established. Even after last year's freeze it came back super-fast. Really easy to grow.
As for the aphids, they do love the barbados tree for some reason. I spray them with neem oil as well, but seems not to phase them much. Eventually as the tree gets larger it seems to affect them less. Try Dr Bronner castile soap though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk