Author Topic: Cheena  (Read 963 times)

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
Cheena
« on: August 27, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »
Since Cheena is a hybrid, what kind of consistency in superior fruit can one expect?  Are all Cheena going to taste similar or is there variability?
  Who likes them?  Should I graft one or plant seed?  Who sells a superior grafted one?  Hmmmm, I wonder if a Cheena rootstock topped with a Chempedak scion would succeed in Florida?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Cheena
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
Since Cheena is a hybrid, what kind of consistency in superior fruit can one expect?  Are all Cheena going to taste similar or is there variability?
  Who likes them?  Should I graft one or plant seed?  Who sells a superior grafted one?  Hmmmm, I wonder if a Cheena rootstock topped with a Chempedak scion would succeed in Florida?
They taste good
And are better than all the jackfruits I’ve had
Get you a grafted one
Most nurseries sell them now
Just do a little digging around

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
I had a batch of these from seed but only kept one.  I found mixed reports, some people say it is better than jackfruit but others say good jackfruit varieties are better, and that champejack is better.  I haven't tried the fruit yet.

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »
I had a batch of these from seed but only kept one.  I found mixed reports, some people say it is better than jackfruit but others say good jackfruit varieties are better, and that champejack is better.  I haven't tried the fruit yet.
I did not know Cheena and chempejack were different.  Not different names for the same thing?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »
I have read they are not the same thing, though I don't recall the details. 

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 01:42:22 PM »
I have read they are not the same thing, though I don't recall the details.
I believe they are just different names for the same cross ( jackfruit and cepmedak)
Jackedak
Chepejack
Cheena
All the same?

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 07:14:12 PM »
Chempejak is an English name for crosses of jackfruit and chempedak. There are multiple varieties. Here in Hawaii we have Cheena (or CHNA, NA for Nangka = jackfruit), Nangkadak (introduced by Frankie Sekiya), and Sri Gading (introduced I think by Richard Campbell). I have these three growing and have tried and love the fruit of each of them. I rate Sri Gading as the best. I like them more than jackfruit but I think their fruit is more akin to chempedak and not so comparable to jackfruit. Seedlings of chempejak are highly variable but sometimes quite good.

Aloha, Steph

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 08:08:34 PM »
Chempejak is an English name for crosses of jackfruit and chempedak. There are multiple varieties. Here in Hawaii we have Cheena (or CHNA, NA for Nangka = jackfruit), Nangkadak (introduced by Frankie Sekiya), and Sri Gading (introduced I think by Richard Campbell). I have these three growing and have tried and love the fruit of each of them. I rate Sri Gading as the best. I like them more than jackfruit but I think their fruit is more akin to chempedak and not so comparable to jackfruit. Seedlings of chempejak are highly variable but sometimes quite good.

Aloha, Steph
Thanks for the clear up.
Don't know what I ate although it was a hybrid. Anyways it was good.

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 10:25:31 PM »

Aloha, Steph
I bought some Sri gading seeds just a couple days ago.  Are your trees seedling or grafted?  I hope they will survive in Florida 10a

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 01:04:36 AM »
Grafted. Seedlings are quite variable. I don’t find jackfruit “true to seed” either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk