Author Topic: Taste report Duguetia lanceolata, Pouteria sp Amazonas, Eugenia, Campomanesia...  (Read 1106 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Hello fellow fruit addicts... I am exploring the Sao Paulo and Brasilia areas and have some taste reports I can share of these of some of these fruits that we are growing but have yet to taste. Bandwidth is limited but have posted pictures to Facebook and instagram.

Pouteria sp. Amazonas and Pouteria sp Acre is the same. I was able to source these seeds from two sources this summer and just recently figured out the full story. They are from the same tree and is a big time winner for canistel and pouteria aficionados.  The originally source is the Amazon near Manaus where a highly respected fruit collector found around 2015 and grown at his farm near São Paulo where is survived brief frosts. One of my sources got me a fruit to taste. If you bought seeds, or plants you got a real winner and taste reports are accurate. Sweet more pumpkin than sweet potato with the lucuma flavor that I can’t describe. The flesh is creamy very much like cheesecake.  Not a sales pitch because I have no more to sell. Just a heads up to those that did… it was worth whatever you paid!

Pouteria ramiflora taste report. I was super excited to try this fruit because it grows at high elevation and can withstand light frost in natura. If an Abiu and Avacado had a baby this is what it would taste like. Not enough flesh for commercial but it is sweet and I enjoyed the flesh right around seeds. The white flesh is also good but around the skin is tannic with the mouth drying effect.  Not nearly as sweet as an Abiu but similar taste.  It is a beautiful bushy tree.

Annona reticulate var Sandro Sp
tastes like raspberry cheesecake with a creamier texture.

Duguetia lanceolata is a winner, not as sweet or complex as stenantha but definitely worth growing especially since it has proven frost Hardiness to 26 F. It is the the most frost hardy species of Duguetia as it is found the furthest south even in Uruguay. Sweet jelly (yes I wish it had more flesh) surrounds a medium size seed. the seed and flesh pops out of the hard and fibrous shell. The colors are amazing and the leaves are ornamental.

Duguetia furfuracea
Interesting tropical flavor or mango ish undertones. Fibrous and sweet. grows in cerrado and drought resistant.

Eugenia angustissima
very sweet. Very ornamental. After tasting this species, I am growing a whole hedge of them. No resin just a simple and sweet fruit. Can definitely be grown in pots!

Campomanesia pubescens: Tart with the profound campo flavor.

Campomanesia sp Orange my favorite. Sweet light campo flavor soft seeds and ornamental.

Campomanesia sp Purple Slight acidity and medium campo flavor. HIGHLY HIGHLY ornamental as well.
Mangaba interesting fibrous fruit that has the passion fruit flavor. Quite enjoyable

Eugenia punicifolia bland
Eugenia biflora bland
Myrcia brasilensis sweet but very little flesh
And a whole bunch of unid Eugenia that have no taste or bitter.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Sounds amazing when will seeds be available again? In this forum?

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Excellent taste test. It's good to get taste tests for some of these very rare fruits. You're doing what Jared, the Weird Explorer on YouTube, should be doing: taste tests of rare fruit. Instead, he is making ketchup out of bananas and cooking chayotes (again).

That Annona reticulata sounds like something I might have to add to my collection, at least if I can find the space to grow it.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Thanks for the report Joe!

bummed I missed out on those Pouteria, and need to get some Duguetia in my yard now...

Interesting on the Eugenia biflora- people I think have made a liquor from this one traditionally?

The angustissima plants in my care have incredibly long taproots, while the plant may fruit while small, I wonder how this will impact its ability to be grown in pots

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
I bet the long tap root is to find water source for the long winter drought in the cerrado. 6 months of no rain. There are reports that they grow much bigger but still small in more favorable conditions. Eugenia Agustissima

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
More taste reports
Jatoba Hymanea courbarii
Superfood from the cerrado. Undesrcible Jatoba flavor Chalky but sweet and weirdly addicting. The locals use is at as topping for Acai. Edible out of hand but dry, on Acai it was utterly amazing and too good to be healthy!

Spondia purpurea
Very tasty and sweet for a spondia. No bitterness or astrigency. Alot of flesh. Found commercially cultivated and loved for juices.

Inga cylindrica
very little flesh and bitter towards seed coat but very cool looking fruit.

Plinia Sabara de cabinho Medium sweetness compared to others Jabos but complex with a tart lemony finish. Smaller size and very small seeds.

Campomanesia pubescens very tasty larger and harder seeds than the sp we found earlier. No tartness and mild campo flavor

Sallacia crassiflora WOW! like vanilla, light lychee purple mangosteen flavor surrounds large seed. Very drought resistant for a sweet fruit.

Psidium bergiana variation vermelha Tastes like cherries and psidium mixed. My favorite psidium and the red coloration of the fruit makes it super rare.

Eugenia klotzchiana pear of the cerrado. Tastes nothing like pears haha. Its a very juicy sweeter and less acidic and more firm flesh that aristata. It had a bitterneess towards the skin but probably due to being a little unripe. Eugenia caipora was even sweeter and less acidic

Psidium firmum nice little psidium. Jelly and tart with medium psidium flavor.\

Anarcadium humile dwarf cerrado. Best tasting cashew fruit. Usually very very bland this species tastes more like wax apples. Nice acidity and crispy. Dwarf and bushy. Rare even for Brazilians as everyone is asking for seeds already. Doesn't fruit every year but fruits very early for a fruit tree 2 to 3 years and will stay small.

Mama Cadela Brosmium gaudichii bubble gum of the cerrado. Sweet and chewy natural slight pumpkin flavor.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
A very hard to grow tree here in Florida. I wont say it cant be done but I dont know anyone who has had success. Not sure why since I think we have a good climate for it. I have had several small(<1') saplings and they never got any bigger and eventually just withered away. Everyone I have talked to in person who has tried has a similar story. Such a really cool looking fruit, maybe I will try again one day.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Tropheus what tree/fruit are you referring to?

Updated taste on ramiflora. It ripens off the tree to a yellow skin and the flesh softens and sweetens. There is no Bitterness towards the skin and the flesh is very good. Half as sweet as an Abiu and have the flesh but also no lingering stickiness and the latex is very minimal.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
The Duguetia Lanceolata. Its one of those rare holy grail type fruit trees at least for us just because we think we have the conditions but for some reason do not thrive.